Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Hoping Bengals RUN OFTEN Preseason Game 1
(08-04-2021, 05:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Mixon only played 6 games last year, so it's hard to say anuthing other than that limited him.  The guy just might not have the ability to get 400+ touches this season. 

True, but even for games he was available the past two seasons, he'd come off the field often it seemed to split time with Gio. 

I know his first year, Gio was the better recieving back and certainly a monster at blitz pick-up but at some point don't you want to see that skill set develop in Mixon? The 3 down back that never comes off the field, is a weapon in the running and passing game and keeps a defense uneasy?

I guess that was the hype around him when he was drafted, that he was going to be this every down back that could do it all, and certainly the expectation with the extension he signed. At some point, just want to see the results. 17 games of a healthy and correctly used Mixon will have a bigger impact on this offense then Chase or any WR can.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon is such a good back and hits the hole so fast that run blocking doesn’t have to be much better than average or even below average, but we can’t win games if we don’t give Burrow protection.

Which I am more confident about with the proven pass protectors we have now. We only have 2 guys that have the upside of being 
good run blockers honestly in Jonah and Carman. Maybe XSF. The others are pretty much one sided good pass protectors.

Need to run the ball and give Mixon lanes. Pollack gives me hope though as the last time he was here Mixon had his best YPC.

Love Mixon but he is no Barry Sanders.

Running the ball takes pressure off of Burrow more then some are making out around here.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:26 PM)kevin Wrote: If they can not Run Block or Run the ball in 2021, they can not pass block or pass or win in 2021.  Get these big moon pies flying out there run blocking. Inside, Outside, hit the other team.  Use all the running backs in camp. Use all the Blockers in camp. The game does not count, so go Woody Hayes and see if Bengals have any kind of a running game against Tampa.

Also, if Burrow is still gimpy and Reiff is injured, Burrow should see only a few snaps, if any.  Let these Big 300 pound Blockers FIRE OUT and ATTACK with Run Blocking.  Yes, mix in some drop back Pass Blocking, but mostly work on the Running Plays.  Coach Taylor out of need or out of design is too pass, pass, pass and that gets quarterbacks killed.  The Bengals better learn how to Run The Ball, and Preseason Game One is a good place to start.  Pass Blocking is drop back passive.  Run Blocking is smash mouth aggressive. See if these big meatballs can Fire Forward on the snap and Hit and Block somebody.  Find out who is strong enough for The NFL, and who is too weak for The NFL. Then cut and fire the weak blockers. Build Burrow a Strong O Line.

The old cheer, Hit em' again, Hit em' again, Harder, Harder applies here.  Fire Off the Snap of the ball and smash forward into Tampa. Pound The Rock.  Blow the dust off the running plays in the playbook.  See if any of our Blockers can put on the Big Boy Pants and Man Up in Run Blocking. There will be other games to work on pass blocking. I would like to see a night of practice on run blocking against Tampa.
Nothing like beating that horse huh? ?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:49 PM)Tony Wrote: Nothing like beating that horse huh? ?

Yeah, Kev beats it good man...Dead Horse

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 09:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Running the ball takes pressure off of Burrow more then some are making out around here.

It'd be great to run the ball, but Mixon hasn't been very durable, he hasn't been able to offset a lousy o-line, and he's already dealing with "foot issues" in training camp.  I swear the Bengals must practice on one of those minefield football fields from Mutant League Football for the Sega Genesis circa 1993.

[Image: 3OqcF4.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It'd be great to run the ball, but Mixon hasn't been very durable, he hasn't been able to offset a lousy o-line, and he's already dealing with "foot issues" in training camp.  I swear the Bengals must practice on one of those minefield football fields from Mutant League Football for the Sega Genesis circa 1993.

Lol, it isn't THAT bad but yeah hoping we don't see any more mines... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:46 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Mixon is such a good back and hits the hole so fast that run blocking doesn’t have to be much better than average or even below average, but we can’t win games if we don’t give Burrow protection.

a solid run is great protection for a QB
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 10:27 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: a solid run is great protection for a QB

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote

Agree on first and second down/running downs, but it doesn't do much good on third down/obvious passing downs.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:10 PM)Nately120 Wrote: It'd be great to run the ball, but Mixon hasn't been very durable, he hasn't been able to offset a lousy o-line, and he's already dealing with "foot issues" in training camp.  I swear the Bengals must practice on one of those minefield football fields from Mutant League Football for the Sega Genesis circa 1993.

Seriously, the league needs to outlaw these minimalist cleats for running backs and receivers. Yeah, they can fly when wearing them, but the support is not there.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 05:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: When the season starts and this shit OL is in action we will see Burrow running often and for his life! Ninja

You know the VIKINGS will be blitzing through out the game. We will know from game 1 where the barometer will start for our OL. 
If they don't blitz all game, Zimmer and his DC need to be canned. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Agree on first and second down/running downs, but it doesn't do much good on third down/obvious passing downs.

bu..bu..but we have CHASE, BOYD, TEEGGINGS and our coveted #2 draft pick TE SAMPLE.

Just as good if not better than Carson had it back in the day.  Who Dey
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 10:47 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: You know the VIKINGS will be blitzing through out the game. We will know from game 1 where the barometer will start for our OL. 
If they don't blitz all game, Zimmer and his DC need to be canned. Smirk

Zimmer is the man as we all know, and he will exploit the offensive line in every way. He also has a healthy defense coming back to him this year unlike the injuries that team dealt with.

I would be absolutely shocked if this offensive line contained Zim's defense on week 1. Let's see how the gameplay and coaching is to answer his blitz's, because I agree 100% with you its going to be pressure city from one of the best defenses right off the bat on week 1.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Agree on first and second down/running downs, but it doesn't do much good on third down/obvious passing downs.

I understand your point, but it can still help on third down because it is more likely to be third and 3 instead of third and 7.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 02:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I understand your point, but it can still help on third down because it is more likely to be third and 3 instead of third and 7.

This.
Reply/Quote
While I want to see more running out of the offense, in preseason they also need to get in sync for their pass plays so I suspect they will be off balance in favor of the pass in preseason.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2021, 04:00 PM)Joelist Wrote: While I want to see more running out of the offense, in preseason they also need to get in sync for their pass plays so I suspect they will be off balance in favor of the pass in preseason.

Yeah, get the passing game down in the Preseason especially with Burrow and the first team.

I just want us to run the ball more this year, no more of Burrow passing the ball 50+ times a game unless it is needed.

I do like what I have been hearing about the run blocking of Jonah and D'Ante in Pollack's wide zone scheme.

Mixon clearly loves it.
Reply/Quote

That’s solid logic right there, Xeno! The best passing production with respect to both yards and scoring comes when a solid running threat is ever present. At LSU the scoring would come equally from Joe Burrow’s arm and from the legs of Clyde Edwards-Helaire and in the NFL the balanced offenses are the most successful.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 01:34 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree that run blocking will be important for this team, and there is an expectation that Pollack being back improves this area of the offense.
However, I'm just not sold that they have the right players to have a really good run game.
The best run blocker out of all the projected starters (Williams, Spain, Hopkins, XSF, and Reiff) had a 62.4 run blocking grade on PFF, which was Spain.

Spain - 62.4 (283 run block snaps)
Hopkins - 62.1 (338 run block snaps)
Reiff - 60.8 (436 run block snaps)
Williams - 53.4 (205 run block snaps)
XSF - 52.1 (138 run block snaps)

Maybe Pollack can turn water into wine, but I'm not expecting more than a middle-of-the-pack running game this season.

4th down in the 2 yrd line with 2 seconds remaining for the score to get in the playoffs, do you have confidence with your OL to push it in. That's the question everyone should be contemplating.
Reply/Quote