Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Sauce?
(02-04-2021, 12:10 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: - real wasabi (not the crap that comes at your local sushi place or in grocery stores; I mean the legit plant root, grated down. It becomes like a smooth, watery-sauce-like mixture and it isn't as harsh or as bland as the commercial stuff)

Does the fresh root lose heat if it is not fresh like horseradish does?

I don't care a lot for straight horseradish sauce, but I used to buy it just to add a little bit to other hot sauces.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2021, 09:21 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Does the fresh root lose heat if it is not fresh like horseradish does?

I don't care a lot for straight horseradish sauce, but I used to buy it just to add a little bit to other hot sauces.

I can honestly say that I don't know, Fred; I've eaten fresh Wasabi, maybe 15 times in my life (11 times at a restaurant just north of Toronto {the proprietor is from Yokohama} and the rest in Japan) and every time I have had it, it has been super-fresh and tastes great, with only a little kick of heat/

It isn't nearly as powerful as the stuff in the tube or at restaurants and has a much-deeper flavour; in Kyoto, there was a smokehouse run by a single man, who did all the cooking and food-sourcing. He caught all the fish, (river fish, as Kyoto is not near the sea and his house wasn't near any saltwater or lake), hunted all of the animals and grew all of the vegetables, that he served at the restaurant. He had a tasting platter of random Japanese vegetables and one of the was the actual wasabi plant leaves and stem. Imagine eating Swiss Chard or Broccoli Rabe (Rapini to us Italians :)), but with the flavour of wasabi.

It was beyond-delicious and I actually ordered a full side of it, in conjunction with the other food, as it was just so good.

He also served soy grasshoppers and bee larvae, which were also beyond-delicious.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-16-2021, 02:13 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I can honestly say that I don't know, Fred; I've eaten fresh Wasabi, maybe 15 times in my life (11 times at a restaurant just north of Toronto {the proprietor is from Yokohama} and the rest in Japan) and every time I have had it, it has been super-fresh and tastes great, with only a little kick of heat/

It isn't nearly as powerful as the stuff in the tube or at restaurants and has a much-deeper flavour; in Kyoto, there was a smokehouse run by a single man, who did all the cooking and food-sourcing. He caught all the fish, (river fish, as Kyoto is not near the sea and his house wasn't near any saltwater or lake), hunted all of the animals and grew all of the vegetables, that he served at the restaurant. He had a tasting platter of random Japanese vegetables and one of the was the actual wasabi plant leaves and stem. Imagine eating Swiss Chard or Broccoli Rabe (Rapini to us Italians :)), but with the flavour of wasabi.

It was beyond-delicious and I actually ordered a full side of it, in conjunction with the other food, as it was just so good.

He also served soy grasshoppers and bee larvae, which were also beyond-delicious.

How do you feel about horseradish in hot sauce?  Some are made with horseradish in them, but I like to add just a little to my regular hot sauce.  I don't like it as a "main ingredient".
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 12:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How do you feel about horseradish in hot sauce?  Some are made with horseradish in them, but I like to add just a little to my regular hot sauce.  I don't like it as a "main ingredient".

Not a fan of the root itself, never have been (why I don't eat the common wasabi).

For actual heat purposes though, it definitely does the job; my family and I sometimes put it into seafood sauce, to ramp up the heat and it works! Basically, like how you mentioned :)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote