Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Speaker Election
I've been following this a little bit and figured a thread on the topic would not be a terrible idea. Just heard McCarthy dropped out and the election has been postponed now. Who are you pulling for in all of this?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Good to hear he dropped out. What a douche.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
This is being portrayed as a bad thing, and PR wise maybe it is, but I like it. I like a party that isn't in lockstep with orders coming from the top down to everyone else.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

McCarthy would've been a horrible choice for multiple reasons.

I wonder what the rumor was about that caused him to drop out?
[Image: d1id.png]
So who's in it, now? All I can think of is Webster, but who else?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Trey Gowdy

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
McCarthy is just a progressive. But Chaffetz is the exact same. He ran off those freedom caucus members because they didn't vote with Boehner.

I see where Massie, Amash and others are supporting Daniel Webster. What scares me about him is that he is a Jeb Bush supporter.

It's too bad Massie, Amash or Jordan can't be the speaker.

As for Gowdy, he is leaving after his term. will be missed.
Word on the street is that out of all of the potentials, only Paul Ryan could drum up the 218 needed, and he is refusing. This is going to be interesting.

Like I said when this news first broke, give the wingnuts what they want and put a Tea Bagger in the position. It will force the mouth-breathers in this country to finally accept the fact that there's no such thing as a more obstructionist GOP than we've already had since the second they gerrymandered their way into a small majority.
(10-08-2015, 07:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Word on the street is that out of all of the potentials, only Paul Ryan could drum up the 218 needed, and he is refusing. This is going to be interesting.

Good we don't need him either.
I just hope whomever it is, they are smart and qualified.

First criteria that should be considered is if the person chosen would make a good President. Seriously, that should be the only criteria the Speaker of the House is chosen. While its highly unlikely that the SotH would ever become President due to tragedy, there is always a possibility that something could happen.

Pelosi and Boehner would not have made good Presidents.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
(10-08-2015, 08:27 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Like I said when this news first broke, give the wingnuts what they want and put a Tea Bagger in the position. It will force the mouth-breathers in this country to finally accept the fact that there's no such thing as a more obstructionist GOP than we've already had since the second they gerrymandered their way into a small majority.

Would love to see a true tea party member. pref. Someone who is newer. That would force the progressive GOP to start voting with the democrats. Then we can expose them.
He/McCarthy obviously made a gaffe and it cost him.
(10-08-2015, 08:27 PM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: Like I said when this news first broke, give the wingnuts what they want and put a Tea Bagger in the position. It will force the mouth-breathers in this country to finally accept the fact that there's no such thing as a more obstructionist GOP than we've already had since the second they gerrymandered their way into a small majority.
You got all sorts of names in there.  Good work.
Who did the House Republican's obstruct, and how exactly does the majority go about obstructing?

(10-08-2015, 10:59 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You got all sorts of names in there.  Good work.
Who did the House Republican's obstruct, and how exactly does the majority go about obstructing?

I don't think I've ever attempted to hide my contempt for the right wing, and I'm certainly not going to start because you don't like a little warranted name-calling.

Look up the definition of the word "obstructionist" real fast. Start with looking for the word "majority" or "minority" to identify whether that matters or not.  Then, simply compare the definition to the reality you live in. If it's all still so terribly unclear to you, you'll have to talk to somebody who has a passion for engaging in redundant attempts to educate obtuse conservatives, because I certainly am not one of them.
I'm a conservative - not a republican (officially registered Independent).
Today's events really just showed me why I no longer identify with The Republican Party.
3 people were running for speaker today, and only one was taken seriously by establishment Republicans. So much so, that when McCarthy bowed out, they cancelled the vote because them establishment didn't find the other two candidates acceptable. The Republican Party has some big problems when people like me who used to run a precinct feels completely betrayed by that group of frauds.
[Image: d1id.png]
(10-09-2015, 02:31 AM)West Union KennyG Wrote: I'm a conservative - not a republican (officially registered Independent).  
Today's events really just showed me why I no longer identify with The Republican Party.  
3 people were running for speaker today, and only one was taken seriously by establishment Republicans.  So much so, that when McCarthy bowed out, they cancelled the vote because them establishment didn't find the other two candidates acceptable.  The Republican Party has some big problems when people like me who used to run a precinct feels completely betrayed by that group of frauds.

They are terrified of a conservative getting to be speaker. The pressure that will be on McConnell and Obama will be immense. McConnell is one election cycle away from losing his majority leader position to a conservative.

Massie or Amash as speaker and Mike Lee as head of the senate would terrify the progressives.

That's why they are scrambling to get Chaffetz in there.
(10-09-2015, 02:07 AM)GodHatesBengals Wrote: I don't think I've ever attempted to hide my contempt for the right wing, and I'm certainly not going to start because you don't like a little warranted name-calling.

Look up the definition of the word "obstructionist" real fast. Start with looking for the word "majority" or "minority" to identify whether that matters or not.  Then, simply compare the definition to the reality you live in. If it's all still so terribly unclear to you, you'll have to talk to somebody who has a passion for engaging in redundant attempts to educate obtuse conservatives, because I certainly am not one of them.
Oh I don't care about name calling, I just like to point out your level of intelligence. Mouth breather. Ooh. Burn. I love recent college graduates. They know so much.
Now go learn some civics, study how our government works, and tell me how the Republicans in the house are obstructionists.  Who are they obstructing?  

(10-09-2015, 10:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Now go learn some civics, study how our government works, and tell me how the Republicans in the house are obstructionists.  Who are they obstructing?  

I get what you are saying, but here is the sad part, they are obstructing themselves. Some of these folks aren't willing to compromise even with members of their own party. Under any normal circumstances I'd have a hard time calling the majority party in both chambers obstructionist, but somehow they have been managing to do it.

It has more to do with the fracturing within the party, though, than it does with partisan issues between the DNC and the GOP. At least from my opinion.

(10-09-2015, 10:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I get what you are saying, but here is the sad part, they are obstructing themselves. Some of these folks aren't willing to compromise even with members of their own party. Under any normal circumstances I'd have a hard time calling the majority party in both chambers obstructionist, but somehow they have been managing to do it.

It has more to do with the fracturing within the party, though, than it does with partisan issues between the DNC and the GOP. At least from my opinion.
That's not really what the angry young man was talking about as he was speaking of electing a Right Wing speaker who would show what obstructionists the Republicans are.

But even there it's not obstructing, it's using your vote how you feel it should be used.  Filibustering would be a form of obstructing because 2/5 is stopping 3/5.  

And I have no problem with infighting in a party. I've grown tired of the lockstep voting.