Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
House Speaker Hilarity
McCarthy has spent most of the week failing to get consensus on his once assumed Speaker of the House appointment. It's been a real circus, and the results are getting downright comedic.

Today, wild rumors are flying around that he could broker a deal to pull some Dems over to his cause in the vote and break the backs of his even more laughable challengers. this obviously would mean significant concessions to the dems for their contribution to the process. This would likely come in the form of committee appointments and deals to fund the government.

It's still probably a long shot, but the GOP having to turn to the dems to save their joke party would be the most delicious ending to the far right revolution and it's troglodyte grandstanders. Stay tuned and enjoy the show.
Reply/Quote
Democrats aren't voting for a Republican at all. They will sit there and wait it out. A more plausible scenario is swing seat Republicans decide to vote with the Democrats and put Jeffiries in the Speaker seat. It is time they exert their power

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Pretty amusing how the GOP has the majority in the house, but they can't get their chair because 20 members of their own party won't let them SO they use their nomination time to talk shit about what dumbasses the democrats are.

I'll also say, the amount of coverage our giant high school cafeteria of a government is getting on the national stage is quite interesting.  I'd make a joke about McCarthy having more straight 2nd place finishes than the Buffalo Bills, but I wouldn't want to besmirch Jim Kelly via that comparison.

Pretty awesome seeing the GOP keep Matt Gaetz out of prison and being rewarded by him being a total pain in their asses.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Party of obstructionists obstruct their own party.

The leopards have been fed quite nicely this week.
Reply/Quote
How could you sit back and proudly say, I voted for these people.

Pretty easy to see why the 1.7 billion funding bill was rushed through. Everybody with a brain could see the circus coming to town, they would have our government shut down faster than you can say shitshow.
Reply/Quote
Gaetz and Bobert's speeches prior to vote #13 should be rich.  Gaetz already threatened to resign if McCarthy wins, he won't because he's full of shit, and Bobert might start talking about illegitimate votes and the 2A.

EDIT - Neither Gaetz nor Bobert nor that guy who trolled them with the Kevin.......Hern vote nominated anyone this time.  I'd wager they're going to vote present and just give in this time.

Or I guess the die hard GOPers will stay the course, my mistake. 
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Gaetz and Bobert's speeches prior to vote #13 should be rich.  Gaetz already threatened to resign if McCarthy wins, he won't because he's full of shit, and Bobert might start talking about illegitimate votes and the 2A.

EDIT - Neither Gaetz nor Bobert nor that guy who trolled them with the Kevin.......Hern vote nominated anyone this time.  I'd wager they're going to vote present and just give in this time.

Or I guess the die hard GOPers will stay the course, my mistake. 

The silent majority doing gods work
Reply/Quote
One of the best parts is that the far right nutbags want Jim Jordan to be speaker. They underperformed worse than any party in the minority in the midterm because of abject clowns like Jordan, so naturally some of these morons want to elect the most repulsive speaker imaginable. This would likely cost them badly in 2024, but they don't care.

Dems have wielded power poorly for the last decade or so, but it's hard to lose against a party that's trying to stick it's head up it's own ass on national TV.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Pretty amusing how the GOP has the majority in the house, but they can't get their chair because 20 members of their own party won't let them SO they use their nomination time to talk shit about what dumbasses the democrats are.

Not extremists vs. the estsblishment but, as never Trumper conservative Charlie Sykes put it--"extremist vs extremist."

The Freedom Caucus is to the rest of the GOP now what the GOP has been to Dems since the Tea Party started sending people to 
Congress just to obstruct Obama. 

This has got to be confusing for "both sidesers" who've had difficulty recognizing the permanent intractability of this group. 
Reply/Quote
Word is that McCarthy made enough deals and concessions to get the vote this time...maybe that's just more hot air but I guess we'll see.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 12:01 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Word is that McCarthy made enough deals and concessions to get the vote this time...maybe that's just more hot air but I guess we'll see.

If he does finally get elected, we will see the chaos continue as he has given so much power to the disrupters. 

Gaetz, MTG, Jordan, Gosar, Boebert--any one of them can challenge the speaker's job if he or she doesn't get
the right committee assignment or wants more movement on the Fauci/FBI/Biden crime family investigation. 

Remember Boehner whistling "Zipa dee doo dah/ Zip a dee day" as he walked away from the job. 

From that moment the GOP was no longer a serious governing party.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 12:55 AM)Dill Wrote: If he does finally get elected, we will see the chaos continue as he has given so much power to the disrupters. 

Gaetz, MTG, Jordan, Gosar, Boebert--any one of them can challenge the speaker's job if he or she doesn't get
the right committee assignment or wants more movement on the Fauci/FBI/Biden crime family investigation. 

Remember Boehner whistling "Zipa dee doo dah/ Zip a dee day" as he walked away from the job. 

From that moment the GOP was no longer a serious governing party.

Wow this is really tense on the GOP side.  McCarthy looked like he wanted to literally lunge at Gaetz.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 02:22 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll also say, the amount of coverage our giant high school cafeteria of a government is getting on the national stage is quite interesting.  I'd make a joke about McCarthy having more straight 2nd place finishes than the Buffalo Bills, but I wouldn't want to besmirch Jim Kelly via that comparison.

Not just national, but international. Countries like DPRK, China, and Russia are pointing to us and saying "see the failure that is democracy!?"
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Overall, this is the dog catching the car. There has long been the saying that Republicans are better at running for office and Democrats are better at governing. This is one of those instances where it is put on display. It's easy for the GOP to be in the minority and be disruptors, which is really all the Freedom Caucus cares about. They don't care who Speaker is, they really don't care how long the fight would've drawn out. All they care about is grinding the machinations of the government to a standstill and sewing chaos within. Honestly, McCarthy should be fine with this given his own lack of any sort of ideology beyond riding the winds of whatever is popular in his party at the time.

***** clowns.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 01:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Wow this is really tense on the GOP side.  McCarthy looked like he wanted to literally lunge at Gaetz.

Mike Rogers actually lunged at Gaetz.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 07:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Overall, this is the dog catching the car. There has long been the saying that Republicans are better at running for office and Democrats are better at governing. This is one of those instances where it is put on display. It's easy for the GOP to be in the minority and be disruptors, which is really all the Freedom Caucus cares about. They don't care who Speaker is, they really don't care how long the fight would've drawn out. All they care about is grinding the machinations of the government to a standstill and sewing chaos within. Honestly, McCarthy should be fine with this given his own lack of any sort of ideology beyond riding the winds of whatever is popular in his party at the time.

***** clowns.

Even with the ordeal now over, the GOP has been weakened.  

It's critical for the party to dump MTG, Gaetz, Boebert, Gosar, Jordan, etc.  If they could realistically unburden themselves from these unserious hacks, they would have a real shot at regaining power in 2024.  The Party of Reagan or Bush would have cleaned up in the 2022 midterm without a doubt in my mind.  McCarthy was compelled to give even more power to the very group that is killing the GOP from the inside out and costing them in national elections.

It's about as close to cancer as a political caucus can be.  They need to remove it, but they can't.  In fact, they have to keep feeding it to retain power.  Trump will be much easier for the party to cast aside than the people they just gave control.  We're going to see McCarthy become a puppet for MTG, who very clearly believes that she's mostly if not totally in control of the speaker.  She will be the most vocal and visible member of the Party for the next two years.

This is a gift to the Dems.  It further cements the probability of Biden getting re-elected, as, despite his gaffes and age, he will still look very sane compared to the alternatives.   

Soon, we will get all sorts of Hillary-style fishing expeditions that go nowhere.  I'm no clairvoyant, but I can easily envision the Justice Department and Hunter Biden's attorney's being the roadrunners to the woefully stupid an inept GOP's Will-E-Coyote for the next 2 years.  They have no chance and are absolutely outclassed, but they will have no qualms about embarrassing themselves anyway.  Gonna be fun.
Reply/Quote
We will see if this whole thing was a preview of what could happen if Trump and his MAGA crew throw a similar monkey wrench (or a spanner, if you aren't American) into the 2024 election. Getting McCarthy into the Speaker's chair should have been easy, much like getting DeSantis in the WH over a 90 year old Biden should be easy, right?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 12:22 PM)samhain Wrote: This is a gift to the Dems.  It further cements the probability of Biden getting re-elected, as, despite his gaffes and age, he will still look very sane compared to the alternatives.   

Eh, we shall see. The next two years can see a lot of things happen. I would say that this is the most likely path, but it isn't a guarantee.

Reply/Quote
(01-06-2023, 03:16 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: How could you sit back and proudly say, I voted for these people.

Pretty easy to see why the 1.7 billion funding bill was rushed through. Everybody with a brain could see the circus coming to town, they would have our government shut down faster than you can say shitshow.

I can laugh because I DIDN'T vote for any of them

Reply/Quote
(01-07-2023, 07:54 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Overall, this is the dog catching the car. There has long been the saying that Republicans are better at running for office and Democrats are better at governing. This is one of those instances where it is put on display. It's easy for the GOP to be in the minority and be disruptors, which is really all the Freedom Caucus cares about. They don't care who Speaker is, they really don't care how long the fight would've drawn out. All they care about is grinding the machinations of the government to a standstill and sewing chaos within. Honestly, McCarthy should be fine with this given his own lack of any sort of ideology beyond riding the winds of whatever is popular in his party at the time.

***** clowns.

This is reminiscent of their 2016 battle cry of doing away with Obamacare..."repeal and replace".  They literally had years to have everything ready to go.  They get control of the House and Senate...oops no plan. 
 MAGA folks don't care if government functions.  After all, everything government does is to benefit liberals and lazy people. For some reason, they keep forgetting what happens when the Federal government grinds to a halt.  As long as they can carry their guns they don't give a damn

Reply/Quote