Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-04-2023, 02:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That would make for a fun show and serve Dems right for butting in.

So you want the repub's to continue to be a joke and total shyt show, just to teach the Dem's a lesson?  You mean like how they learned that McCarthy was constantly making promises to them, lying and then doing something else, thus they did not save his ass from his own party's dysfunction?  How is that "butting in"?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-03-2023, 09:50 PM)pally Wrote: So temporary Speaker McHenry has very limited powers.  But he took advantage of one power, to evict Nancy Pelosi from her Capitol office....while she is in California attending Dianne Feinstein's funeral.  This will surely solve all of the Republican's problems.

Seriously, explain to me, why every Republican in leadership finds it necessary to be petty and vindictive?  Another piece of evidence that shows the world that Republicans in Congress are unable to put GOVERNING above pettiness

What a Drama Queen, Only Pelosi could complain about being booted from an office reserved for House Leaders when she hasn't been one for over a decade. It's almost as if she feels entitled to it.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 03:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What a Drama Queen, Only Pelosi could complain about being booted from an office reserved for House Leaders when she hasn't been one for over a decade. It's almost as if she feels entitled to it.

Drama queen?

She said this was highly unusual and that she was in California and couldn't do it immediately.  Then she had someone help and get it done anyway.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Side note, remember when Nancy Pelosi was at risk of losing her seat because she had such a small majority in the house and 4% of democrats wanted to vote her out but the republicans crossed the aisle to keep her in power for the good of the country even though she refused to work with them?
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 03:50 PM)Stewy Wrote: So you want the repub's to continue to be a joke and total shyt show, just to teach the Dem's a lesson?  You mean like how they learned that McCarthy was constantly making promises to them, lying and then doing something else, thus they did not save his ass from his own party's dysfunction?  How is that "butting in"?

yes and no, no matter which side it is, it's always dysfunctional. 

So what about Lying? All politicians have to do is open their mouth and it's likely a lie.

The Dems had a chance to keep a moderate conservative in the Speaker position and instead, elected to get him removed and now we will likely end up with worse and an even bigger headache for both sides.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 04:14 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The Dems had a chance to keep a moderate conservative in the Speaker position and instead, elected to get him removed and now we will likely end up with worse and an even bigger headache for both sides.

The republicans also have a chance to vote for a moderate democrat speaker right now so they won't risk democrats intentionally appointing a worse and an even bigger headache for both sides in 2024.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 04:14 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: yes and no, no matter which side it is, it's always dysfunctional. 

So what about Lying? All politicians have to do is open their mouth and it's likely a lie.

The Dems had a chance to keep a moderate conservative in the Speaker position and instead, elected to get him removed and now we will likely end up with worse and an even bigger headache for both sides.

I can't speak for what they were/are thinking but that scenario made me think maybe it works in the Democrats favor.  

Give someone like Jim Jordan ALL the power.  Go ahead Jim...you're in charge.  Do something.

And when he falls apart under the pressure or nothing gets done at all the Democrats run on his ineffectiveness.  

Just a thought.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 04:26 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can't speak for what they were/are thinking but that scenario made me think maybe it works in the Democrats favor.  

Give someone like Jim Jordan ALL the power.  Go ahead Jim...you're in charge.  Do something.

And when he falls apart under the pressure or nothing gets done at all the Democrats run on his ineffectiveness.  

Just a thought.

All I can do is infer that some 96% of the house republicans wanting McCarthy in the first place and wanting to keep McCarthy indicates that only the safest of house republicans are sure they going to benefit from the social media-driven chaos and in fighting that is taking place.

If the vast majority of house republicans didn't want this to happen, I don't see how we can automatically assume it happening is a slam dunk win for the GOP.

Also, Jim Jordan spoke in support of McCarthy before this ousting, so unless he's a double agent I assume he isn't loyal enough for Matt Gaetz.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 12:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know. Violent crime was 6th in the Pew poll this summer. While that is relatively high, it isn't going to top economic concerns. Interestingly, the ability for the two parties to work together was higher ranked than crime. November 2024 is a long way off for sure, but if that trend continues it will be harmful for Republicans who can't get their own house in order and one of the big issues for it being that the group making it all happen is mad about working with the Democrats.

Side note: this is going to have an interesting impact on Virginia elections, as well. What happens in Washington has more of an impact on Virginia elections than a lot of people realize. With so many federal employees and economy so dependent on them, who gets blamed for a government shutdown (or a close call) will throw things off balance, here.

As with anything, it really doesn't matter how big an issue is nationally, it really only matters what's important in swing states.  PA, for one, is a state in which I think crime could tip the election in the GOP's favor, WI , MI and AZ being others.  The economy is always, of course, a huge issue when it's not going well, and if it isn't that will be a major obstacle for the Dems.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 04:53 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: As with anything, it really doesn't matter how big an issue is nationally, it really only matters what's important in swing states.  PA, for one, is a state in which I think crime could tip the election in the GOP's favor, WI , MI and AZ being others.  The economy, is always, of course, a huge issue when it's not going well, and if it isn't that will be a major obstacle for the Dems.

I'd agree if the GOP were moving on from Trump.  Here in PA Biden is double digits underwater and the economy blows, but the 2022 midterms weren't the red wave bloodbath you'd think they should be because two MAGA candidates were stuffed through the GOP primaries by Trump and they flopped on the statewide level.  Christie, Haley, even DeSantis could flip PA rather easily but I'm not as sure if the GOP strategy is to assume the same things that didn't flip PA for Trump and his lackeys in 2020 and 2022 will work in 2024 because they point out crime is worse (did they say crime was anything but an absolute nightmare before?).
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 02:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: That would make for a fun show and serve Dems right for butting in.

I would love to see Jim Jordon as speaker.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 02:37 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: The Dems had a chance to keep a moderate conservative in the Speaker position and instead, elected to get him removed and now we will likely end up with worse and an even bigger headache for both sides.

Moderate conservative? First, that's oxymoronic. Second, McCarthy isn't moderate at all. When you look at his voting record and his positions you can see that he is solidly on the conservative side of the GOP. While he was pretty acquiescent to Trump in many ways, he isn't quite the bootlicker the "Freedom" Caucus members are, but he is just as conservative, if not more so, than several of them.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 03:53 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What a Drama Queen, Only Pelosi could complain about being booted from an office reserved for House Leaders when she hasn't been one for over a decade. It's almost as if she feels entitled to it.

Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House until Jan 2022.  In that Speaker vote she received 216 Democratic votes.  6 Democrats vote Present or for someone else.  All 211 Republicans voted for Kevin McCarthy.  Speaker votes are never bipartisan

She didn't whine.  She simply voiced how unusual it was to remove a former Speaker from their office.  She had the opportunity to displace a previous Republican Speaker and she provided offices for him.  

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 06:08 PM)pally Wrote: Nancy Pelosi was Speaker of the House until Jan 2022.  In that Speaker vote she received 216 Democratic votes.  6 Democrats vote Present or for someone else.  All 211 Republicans voted for Kevin McCarthy.  Speaker votes are never bipartisan

She didn't whine.  She simply voiced how unusual it was to remove a former Speaker from their office.  She had the opportunity to displace a previous Republican Speaker and she provided offices for him.  

Yes she whined, why bring it up at all?

Certain offices are reserved and she was in one of them. She knew that it was only a matter of time before someone wanted hers.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2023, 11:36 AM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes she whined, why bring it up at all?

Certain offices are reserved and she was in one of them. She knew that it was only a matter of time before someone wanted hers.

"whined"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/04/nancy-pelosi-republican-patrick-mchenry-office-kevin-mccarthy-speaker

Quote:“With all of the important decisions that the new Republican leadership must address, which we are all eagerly awaiting, one of the first actions taken by the new speaker pro tempore was to order me to immediately vacate my office in the Capitol,” Pelosi said in a statement on Tuesday night.

“Sadly, because I am in California to mourn the loss of and pay tribute to my dear friend Dianne Feinstein, I am unable to retrieve my belongings at this time.”

Feinstein, the longest-serving female senator, died last week at 90. At 83 and with two stints as House speaker behind her, from 2007 to 2011 and 2019 to 2023, Pelosi has attained similar stature on Capitol Hill.

Speakers traditionally give their predecessors access to “hideaway” offices near the House floor after they step down.

On Tuesday, Pelosi’s Republican successor as speaker, Kevin McCarthy, was politically defenestrated by hard-right figures in his own party, the first speaker ever removed in such fashion.

McCarthy accorded Pelosi the usual office-based courtesy but amid Republican anger over Democrats’ refusal to support McCarthy against his rightwing rebellion, McHenry made the order to evict.

According to Politico, an email from a Republican aide to the House administration committee told Pelosi: “Please vacate the space tomorrow, the room will be re-keyed.”

The office, the site said, would be reassigned for “speaker office use”.

Steny Hoyer of Maryland, a former House majority leader under Pelosi, was also reportedly ordered to move.

Pelosi said: “This eviction is a sharp departure from tradition. As speaker, I gave former [Republican] speaker [Dennis] Hastert a significantly larger suite of offices for as long as he wished.”

Given one day while she was across the country and she is the whiner?  Not hardly.

You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
Apparently some are clamoring for Trump as Speaker. MTG is especially excited over the idea

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-04-2023, 05:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I would love to see Jim Jordon as speaker.

I'm betting the interns at the Capitol wouldn't. 
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2023, 03:46 PM)pally Wrote: Apparently some are clamoring for Trump as Speaker.  MTG is especially excited over the idea

Even for the fringe MAGA GOP this is clearly a bunch of social media "I don't understand politics and I know my fanclub doesn't understand politics" BS.  The idea of Trump being speaker when he's required to be in court for a billion things is silly enough in itself, but more importantly IF Trump were the speaker of the house he would be putting himself in a position where everything he tried to do would be subject to a democrat senate and (most importantly) Joe Biden being able to say "No."

Trump accepting a position where Joe Biden outranks him and has the final say?  Not gonna happen.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2023, 12:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: "whined"

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/oct/04/nancy-pelosi-republican-patrick-mchenry-office-kevin-mccarthy-speaker

Given one day while she was across the country and she is the whiner?  Not hardly.

Yes she is. Hoyer got kicked too, but he hasn't said a word about it.

She's the same as Trump, only a Dem instead of an R. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2023, 03:55 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Yes she is. Hoyer got kicked too, but he hasn't said a word about it.

She's the same as Trump, only a Dem instead of an R. 

Hilarious  Oh man!  I haven't laughed out loud at something on the board like that in a long time!  Thanks!

She issued a statement as she was out of town.  It must have really struck home since you are so upset that you think she was "whining" when she suggested the republicans in the house had more important things to do.  Smirk

I'm gonna assume Hoyer was in town and therefore just moved without having to point out, as Pelosi did, that giving her a day when she wasn't even in Washington was a bit much.

Man, she lives rent free in republican heads.  That's great.
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote