Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House Speaker Paul Ryan says he is not running for re-election
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/11/reports-house-speaker-paul-ryan-not-running-re-election/506214002/

Quote:House Speaker Paul Ryan announced Wednesday that he will not seek re-election, saying he'd accomplished "big things" and did not want his children in Wisconsin just to know him as a "weekend dad."

"This year will be my last one as a member of the House," Ryan told reporters after delivering the news to his GOP colleagues in a closed-door meeting. "I will be retiring in January, leaving this majority in good hands with what I believe is a very bright future."

Ryan said he would remain as speaker through the end of this year, even as jockeying begins to replace him as the next GOP leader.

“This is a job that does not last forever," said Ryan, who became speaker in 2015 after Ohio Republican John Boehner abruptly announced his resignation.
"It’s fleeting, and that inspires you to do big things. And on that score, I think we’ve achieved a heckuva lot.”

He cited the tax overhaul President Trump enacted in December, and a budget agreement in February that sharply increased funding levels for the military. He said he regretted that another priority, reform of Medicare and other entitlement programs, was not accomplished.

Quote:[Image: kUuht00m_normal.jpg]
[/url]Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

[url=https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984066131303583746]

Speaker Paul Ryan is a truly good man, and while he will not be seeking re-election, he will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question. We are with you Paul!
9:50 AM - Apr 11, 2018

Trump, who has had an on-again, off-again relationship with the speaker, tweeted out praise on Wednesday: "Speaker Paul Ryan is a truly good man, and while he will not be seeking re-election, he will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question. We are with you Paul!"

Ryan was the 2012 Republican candidate for vice president on nominee Mitt Romney's ticket, and was considered a potential 2016 presidential candidate but opted not to run. Romney praised Ryan on Twitter for stepping into the speakership at a critical time.

"He unified the House, passed scores of bills, and led with integrity, honor and dignity," Romney wrote. "The country will miss Speaker Ryan."

Ryan said he would remain in office through the end of his term in January, but his retirement announcement could leave a void in Republican leadership as it faces a November elections that will determine whether the GOP can keep control of Congress.

Democrats hailed Ryan's retirement as a sign that he knows GOP will take big losses.

“Stay tuned for more retirements as Republicans increasingly realize that their midterm prospects are doomed," said Tyler Law, a spokesman for the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Ryan's announcement is likely to set off a battle for Republican leadership in the House. Possible replacements include Rep. Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., now Ryan's second-in-command, and Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., now the third-ranking House member.

Scalise downplayed speculation in an appearance on Fox News before Ryan's announcement.

"A lot of people are saying, ‘What are they going to run for next year,’ but it really becomes irrelevant if [Democrat] Nancy Pelosi is Speaker of the House,"
Scalise said. "And clearly that’s what she’s intending on doing and they’re raising a lot of money on their side. We need to make sure we hold the House."

Ryan was a fiscal conservative, but his efforts to be a more pragmatic leader led to conflicts with hard-liners in the GOP onference, including the House Freedom Caucus.

When asked about Ryan's ability to serve out the remainder of the year as leader while his top deputies were angling to succeed him, Freedom Caucus chairman Mark Meadows, R-N.C., said it was certainly possible.

“Will it happen?" Meadows said. "I think the next few weeks will determine whether that happens or not. Everyone will start jockeying for position immediately. They won’t wait for 9 months.”

Rep. Charlie Dent, R-Penn., said it was too early to talk about who would replace Ryan.

“The bigger issue right now is just trying to maintain the majority,” said Dent, who is retiring this year. He said Republicans face a “toxic” environment this year but the midterms were never going to be about Ryan. Instead, he said, it would be more of a referendum on President Trump. “This is going to be a challenging year.”

Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., praising Ryan despite their differences, said replacing him will be difficult: "The job may be made harder because Congressmen Scalise and McCarthy will be competing for the hard-right's favor, but Speaker Ryan is up to the job.”

While Ryan had support from rank-and-file Republicans, he also took heat from conservative who said he was too quick to compromise with Democrats.

Buck noted that Ryan did not seek the speaker's post -- colleagues urged him to take the job after Boehner's sudden departure -- but he "is proud of all that has been accomplished and is ready to devote more of his time to being a husband and a father."

Ryan told his colleagues "that serving as speaker has been the professional honor of his life, and he thanked them for the trust they placed in him," Buck said.

The speaker has also clashed with Trump.

Trump criticized Ryan's legislative strategy, including the failed effort to repeal President Barack Obama's health care plan. Ryan criticized some of Trump's more intemperate remarks.

It's sad that he probably won't get to stay in office long enough to see hie dream of completely destroying social security and medicare.

I hope his incredible pension and lifetime healthcare is enough to get him through that.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Need to get a member of the freedom caucus in there as speaker pushing the agenda
He could've at least tried to sound like he wasn't out-of-touch in his reasoning.

Weekend dad?

Congress is in session about 140 days a year. His constituents work around 260 days a year.

He won't be unemployed long, though. I expect to see him back at some appointment, most likely overseeing food stamps or over SSA, or some other agency he can screw up with the power of Super Ineffectivity.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-11-2018, 01:25 PM)Benton Wrote: He could've at least tried to sound like he wasn't out-of-touch in his reasoning.

Weekend dad?

Congress is in session about 140 days a year. His constituents work around 260 days a year.

He won't be unemployed long, though. I expect to see him back at some appointment, most likely overseeing food stamps or over SSA, or some other agency he can screw up with the power of Super Ineffectivity.

Ninja
(04-11-2018, 12:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Need to get a member of the freedom caucus in there as speaker pushing the agenda

yeah because not enough americans have been screwed over already
People suck
(04-11-2018, 01:25 PM)Benton Wrote: He could've at least tried to sound like he wasn't out-of-touch in his reasoning.

Weekend dad?

There is zero reason for them to be in DC full time anyway. They can be back home and connect over the net.
(04-11-2018, 02:28 PM)Griever Wrote: yeah because not enough americans have been screwed over already

Freedom caucus is one of the last groups who are actually working for the people. Both sides hate them for a reason.
(04-11-2018, 02:28 PM)Griever Wrote: yeah because not enough americans have been screwed over already

Freedom caucus is one of the last groups who are actually working for the people. Both sides hate them for a reason.
(04-11-2018, 12:27 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Need to get a member of the freedom caucus in there as speaker pushing the agenda

I agree. That will assure a Dem majority after the mid terms.
Apparently the swamp was GOP congressmen.
"I've harmed as many people as I could, so -- my mission accomplished -- I'm leaving Congress in order to harm people from the private sector."
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
The old "I want to spend more time with my family", excuse. He is quitting for two reasons:
1) He wasn't going to be the majority leader anymore after the mid terms.
2) Time to cash in those lobbyist connections he was working for.
(04-11-2018, 05:15 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: The old "I want to spend more time with my family", excuse. He is quitting for two reasons:
1) He wasn't going to be the majority leader anymore after the mid terms.
2) Time to cash in those lobbyist connections he was working for.

3) Get the hell out of town before the tax cuts hurt the economy, just like the Bush tax cuts helped do.
Damn some bitter people here.

It will be quite hilarious if the Dems don’t win the house. Again. Generally when they are convinced they have something in the bag, the bag has a hole in the bottom. “But the college kids all said they were going to vote. “
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-11-2018, 08:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Damn some bitter people here.

It will be quite hilarious if the Dems don’t win the house. Again.  Generally when they are convinced they have something in the bag, the bag has a hole in the bottom.  “But the college kids all said they were going to vote. “

Right. He did a hell of job. Massive tax cuts for the rich. Massive deficit. And social security set to run out in 13 years i think i saw? 

Why in the world would people be bitter?

Oh and didnt he helped lube up the afforable care act with some big layers of shit?

Job well done. The average working American wont miss him. But man he was a champion for the filthy rich.
(04-11-2018, 08:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Damn some bitter people here.

It will be quite hilarious if the Dems don’t win the house. Again. Generally when they are convinced they have something in the bag, the bag has a hole in the bottom. “But the college kids all said they were going to vote. “

Yeah they shouldn’t be real confident. Almost Everything has not gone their way. Would be hilarious if the gop kept the house now.
(04-12-2018, 02:10 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah they shouldn’t be real confident.  Almost Everything has not gone their way.  Would be hilarious if the gop kept the house now.

By " their way" you mean the majority of the American people. You are correct.
(04-11-2018, 10:28 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Right. He did a hell of job. Massive tax cuts for the rich. Massive deficit. And social security set to run out in 13 years i think i saw? 

Why in the world would people be bitter?

Oh and didnt he helped lube up the afforable care act with some big layers of shit?

Job well done. The average working American wont miss him. But man he was a champion for the filthy rich.

Like I said.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-12-2018, 09:02 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Like I said.

So are you "saying" they SHOULD be bitter since all of that is true?
(04-12-2018, 09:11 AM)GMDino Wrote: So are you "saying" they SHOULD be bitter since all of that is true?

Well social security is 17 years I believe, but it's absolutely Ryan's fault. Be bitter all you want.  when Pelosi lost her job as Speaker, I was happy.