Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House fails to override veto of Obamacare repeal
Dead Horse

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/obamacare-veto-override-house-republicans-218651?cmpid=sf

Quote:House Republicans on Tuesday failed to override President Barack Obama's veto of their bill gutting major pieces of Obamacare.

The House voted 241-186falling short of the two-thirds majority needed to override a veto of legislation the GOP views as its blueprint for undoing the law should a Republican win the White House. Republican lawmakers said their doomed repeal bill fulfilled a promise to their base to continue their fight against the health law.

"Regardless of the outcome, we have now shown there is a clear path to full repeal without 60 votes in the Senate," Speaker Paul Ryan said Monday ahead of the vote. "It is also just one in a number of steps we’re taking to hold President Obama accountable for the failures of this law."

Ryan has vowed that House Republicans will offer an Obamacare alternative this year — a promise that GOP leadership has made but failed to deliver on for six years since the law passed.

Congress in January approved the Obamacare repeal measure through a fast-track budget tool known as reconciliation. It was the first major repeal bill to arrive at the president’s desk for a veto.

The bill repealed Medicaid expansion, subsidies to purchase insurance on the law's exchange, and effectively rolled back the law's individual and employer mandates. It also eliminated the law's medical device and Cadillac taxes and blocked federal funding to Planned Parenthood for one year.

Three Republicans, Robert Dold of Illinois and Richard Hanna and John Katko, both of New York, voted to let the president's veto stand.

The vote came two days after Obamacare's third enrollment period wrapped up. The administration on Tuesday chided Republicans for holding another repeal vote.

“It’s almost like it’s Groundhog Day,” White House press secretary Josh Earnest quipped at his daily press briefing.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/obamacare-veto-override-house-republicans-218651#ixzz3zAMg5vOz
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I don't think they expect it to succeed.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-04-2016, 12:29 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't think they expect it to succeed.

How could they?

Which makes it all the more infuriating that they keep doing it over and over.
(02-04-2016, 12:45 AM)GMDino Wrote: How could they?

Which makes it all the more infuriating that they keep doing it over and over.

Indeed. I mean, passing meaningful legislation rather than pointless political grandstanding would be nice.
(02-04-2016, 01:00 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Indeed. I mean, passing meaningful legislation rather than pointless political grandstanding would be nice.

Last time I read it was around 60 times they've voted trying to repeal it. How much staff time and money has been wasted on that? According to the link below, millions.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2013/05/16/obamacare-repeal-votes-costs-tens-of-millions/

Quote:Last year, CBS News calculated that the first 33 votes to repeal health care reform took up approximately 80 hours of floor time from the House, or roughly two weeks. The Congressional Research Service said it costs $24 million to run the House for a week, so the first 33 votes cost[Image: icon1.png] taxpayers approximately $48 million.

The numbers translate to approximately $1.45 million per vote to repeal the Affordable Care Act in the House of Representatives. Adding in the three votes since CBS News’ report last year plus Thursday’s planned vote would add $5.8 million to the total.

Which is aggravating. If they know it's not going to pass, stop wasting money just to score some political points.
I can see the frustration with some when they continue To take votes on this matter. But they did run on and promise voters they would repeal.

There is something to be said for following trough on your campaign promise. Plus it does keep it warm when a republican gets elected in 2016 to repeal.
UN;ess the have a better plan to pass repealing the ACA would be suicide for the Republicans. It has helped too many people.

People act like they do not remember that health care reform was one of the biggest issues in the '08 election. There was a huge problem that needed to be fixed. Just saying "Let's go back to the old way." is not going top work. And I have not heard a single Republican propose a legitimate plan to replace the ACA.
(02-04-2016, 11:52 AM)fredtoast Wrote: UN;ess the have a better plan to pass repealing the ACA would be suicide for the Republicans.  It has helped too many people.

People act like they do not remember that health care reform was one of the biggest issues in the '08 election.  There was a huge problem that needed to be fixed.  Just saying "Let's go back to the old way." is not going top work.  And I have not heard a single Republican propose a legitimate plan to replace the ACA.

They promised they will have their proposal sometime this year.

Honest this time!
(02-04-2016, 11:42 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can see the frustration with some when they continue To take votes on this matter.    But they did run on and promise voters they would repeal.  

There is something to be said for following trough on your campaign promise.    Plus it does keep it warm when a republican gets elected in 2016 to repeal.

If nothing has changed, there's no need for a new vote. If it was failing by 1 vote every time, or if there's an election and new people come into office, sure. But voting more than 10 times a year on something when there hasn't been a change is grandstanding. And it's wasting tens of millions of dollars to do it.
(02-04-2016, 11:42 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can see the frustration with some when they continue To take votes on this matter. But they did run on and promise voters they would repeal.

There is something to be said for following trough on your campaign promise. Plus it does keep it warm when a republican gets elected in 2016 to repeal.

(02-04-2016, 01:17 PM)Benton Wrote: If nothing has changed, there's no need for a new vote. If it was failing by 1 vote every time, or if there's an election and new people come into office, sure. But voting more than 10 times a year on something when there hasn't been a change is grandstanding. And it's wasting tens of millions of dollars to do it.

And that's my big problem. This party that is supposed to be about fiscal responsibility is wasting taxpayer money of political grandstanding. There is no chance of it working, they know that from all of the previous attempts. They take a headcount of the votes before they hold the vote itself to know beforehand for major votes like that, so they know it will fall flat, yet they do it anyway.
(02-04-2016, 11:42 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I can see the frustration with some when they continue To take votes on this matter.    But they did run on and promise voters they would repeal.  

There is something to be said for following trough on your campaign promise.    Plus it does keep it warm when a republican gets elected in 2016 to repeal.

Pity those people who are neither giant fans of Obamacare, nor fans of wasting millions in taxpayer money to find moral victory in ceaseless fruitless attempts to repeal it.  Why does Congress have a lower approval rating than cockroaches and Nickelback, again?
Maybe people are still upset that it passed by hook and crook.    

And without those shenanigans we would have gotten a compromise agreement.    Instead we got a polarizing bill that the majority of amercians hate.

I get the whole wasting money thing .... But it's also funny there are people on this board who are all of a sudden worried about government spending. It should be repealed and then a compromise negotiation needs to take place.
(02-04-2016, 01:58 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Maybe people are still upset that it passed by hook and crook.    

And without those shenanigans we would have gotten a compromise agreement.    Instead we got a polarizing bill that the majority of amercians hate.

I get the whole wasting money thing ....   But it's also funny there are people on this board who are all of a sudden worried about government spending.    It should be repealed and then a compromise negotiation needs to take place.

Six years have passed and the GOP ha not proposed anything other than to get rid of the ACA.

That tells me all I need to know about any kind of "compromise agreement" that you think could have happened.
(02-04-2016, 01:58 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Maybe people are still upset that it passed by hook and crook.    

I get the whole wasting money thing .... But it's also funny there are people on this board who are all of a sudden worried about government spending. It should be repealed and then a compromise negotiation needs to take place.

I disagree. The ACA should not be repealed before negotiations for a replacement have been completed. If you repeal the bill and then try to, at a later date, implement something else to solve the issues it was an attempt at fixing you will give the health care industry, insurance industry, and the general public whiplash from the effects. When you do things like that you run the risk of exacerbating the issues that were causing the problems in the first place, making your attempt to find a solution now even more difficult.
(02-04-2016, 02:07 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I disagree. The ACA should not be repealed before negotiations for a replacement have been completed. If you repeal the bill and then try to, at a later date, implement something else to solve the issues it was an attempt at fixing you will give the health care industry, insurance industry, and the general public whiplash from the effects. When you do things like that you run the risk of exacerbating the issues that were causing the problems in the first place, making your attempt to find a solution now even more difficult.

Without repeal there is zero incentive for the democrats to actually participate in Good faith.

Besides the IRS shouldn't be policing this anyway. It should be repealed just for that.
And let me say this before someone posts that I am being partisan.

I would be ok with single payer if enough support could he rallied to make it happen. I just want to see them actually work and not play parliamentary games to slide stuff by us.

I get the whole wasting money thing ....   But it's also funny there are people on this board who are all of a sudden worried about government spending.    It should be repealed and then a compromise negotiation needs to take place.

It took a year of negotiation in Congress to get the current ACA.

Also, you have to realize that many people who don't like the ACA oppose it because it did not go far enough toward a single pay system.  It is not like all of the people who oppose it agree with anything the Republicans have to propose.
(02-04-2016, 02:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It took a year of negotiation in Congress to get the current ACA.

Also, you have to realize that many people who don't like the ACA oppose it because it did not go far enough toward a single pay system.  It is not like all of the people who oppose it agree with anything the Republicans have to propose.

It took a year and countless back room shenanigans to pass the bill with only democrat support. When the Dems had significant numbers in both the house and senate. That alone should tell you that we shouldn't have this law.

Like I have said .... Repeal and negotiate. I will be ok with even single payer if they can rally enough votes. I obviously don't favor that but it's about getting something done together.

Or maybe let this be decided on the state level. Once we get more states running single payer the. Other states will follow if it's working.
(02-04-2016, 02:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I would be ok with single payer if enough support could he rallied to make it happen.    I just want to see them actually work and not play parliamentary games to slide stuff by us.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/229959-majority-still-support-single-payer-option-poll-finds

More than five years after the single-payer system was scrapped from ObamaCare policy debates, just over 50 percent of people say they still support the idea, including one-quarter of Republicans, according to a new poll.

http://kff.org/uninsured/poll-finding/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-december-2015/

Opinions of a Medicare-For-All Idea

As the presidential primaries inch closer and candidates begin to debate the intricacies of their platforms, a long-discussed health policy option has reemerged in debate between democratic candidates; the idea of creating a national health plan in which all Americans would get their insurance through an expanded, universal form of health insurance called Medicare-for-all.  When asked their opinion, nearly 6 in 10 Americans (58 percent) say they favor the idea of Medicare-for-all, including 34 percent who say they strongly favor it. This is compared to 34 percent who say they oppose it, including 25 percent who strongly oppose it. Opinions vary widely by political party identification, with 8 in 10 Democrats (81 percent) and 6 in 10 independents (60 percent) saying they favor the idea, while 63 percent of Republicans say they oppose it.

That was/is lip service. The Dems had a majority, they asked the GOP to participate. They did by saying they wanted no HCR. If you have a seat at the table and decline the invitation, you don't have any room to complain about getting left out of the talks.

As far as majority of Americans hate, that's probably more personal belief than polling. Even after six years of spin by the GOP, there's usually a 5-6% polling difference in those who support and those who oppose. And some of those who oppose do so because they think it didn't go far enough. That's not hate.