Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House guests
How long is too long for them to spend at your house. My cousin came up for 3 weeks to stay. How long is too long for you guys? Have you ever said no or got very irritated with house guests?
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 12:15 AM)packerbacker Wrote: How long is too long for them to spend at your house. My cousin came up for 3 weeks to stay. How long is too long for you guys? Have you ever said no or got very irritated with house guests?

I think it's pretty subjective IMO.  Depends on the person and how close I am with them.  I've got a close friend that could stay as long as he needed, and I've got family I wouldn't want here for 3 hours let alone 3 weeks.  My grandmother died back in January and some cousins came up from Florida and they were spread out through the homes of various family members including mine.  It was good to see them, since I hadn't seen them in more than a decade.  They were here for a week and it was nice catching up since we were close when we were kids.  But I was glad to get my place back when they left.
Reply/Quote
Anything beyond a week is excessive.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 07:04 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Anything beyond a week is excessive.

Yeah, I think 3 weeks is a bit excessive.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
3 days. Nothing more. Anything longer, get a friggen hotel room.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 07:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: 3 days. Nothing more. Anything longer, get a friggen hotel room.

Grump.   Tongue
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 07:44 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Grump.   Tongue

Not really. I want them to leave while I still love them. You know, before the hate kicks in.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 08:00 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Not really. I want them to leave while I still love them. You know, before the hate kicks in.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
It depends on what was discussed when he first moved in.

I don't know anyone who shows up to stay somewhere without at least discussing how long he will be there.
Reply/Quote
didn't Brad have a thread almost exactly like this one a while back? 

[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I don't have an exact answer, but I usually visit my family back in Ohio every 2 years and make plans for only a week. That's about all I can take till I start getting edgey... In fact I am going at the end of August. I want to go to Cedar Point one more time in my life. I think I was 17 the last time I was there.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 07:04 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Anything beyond a week is excessive.

Right....  Once you get over half a month its time for rent pay lol...

A Week is a decent amount of time   Generally a weekend is more than enough.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2018, 07:36 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: 3 days. Nothing more. Anything longer, get a friggen hotel room.

I go 4 as a rule of thumb....then GTFO.
Reply/Quote
I don't mind a guest for up to 5 days at max. My Dads side of the family has so much money they could get a hotel for 5 nights. A few times they wouldn't come visit when my parents were unable to put them up. They admitted we don't want to pay for a hotel lol. My Cousin took turns staying at everyone's place for 3 weeks. After 2 weeks though there was a blowup where there was a fight. That's why you never overstay your welcome. They want to come back in October. Everyone had said they aren't staying with us again for that long.
Reply/Quote
I don't like staying at people's houses, and I don't like people staying at mine. Will gladly pay for hotel whenever family comes to town. Excepty aunt Marilyn, have to pick her up in Georgia if there is a hurricane in Florida. She stays in the guest bed until safe to go back. We are both outsiders to the family, and at 80 she can drink me under the table. Everyone else, glad to have you, this is the residence inn and this is Miller Lane. From there take the kids to scene 75,the adult males to the airforce museum, women go shopping.

I like seeing family, I like fun family activities. Wish we could do more of those. I am very introverted and dont really like anyone besides the wife and kids in the house.

Sent from my N9517 using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
Largely depends on the guest. I've had people overstay their welcome in a matter of hours. My wife's grandmother comes to visit from Brazil and she spends a month with absolutely zero problems.

My rule of thumb whenever I'm visiting for more than three days (Im not making the trip to Arizona or Brazil from CT to visit family for less than a week) is to make sure that at least once every 3 or 4 days I stay 100% out of my host's hair. Plan a day, get an uber or whatever and just let them have their normal routine for a day. Get out early and come back late.
Reply/Quote
My mom loves to have as much family as possible stay at our house. She only has two children, but my sisters kids all have children of their own. It got to where Mom would work herself to death cooking and cleaning. Everyone would pitch in and try to help, but my mom doesn't like anyone else "messing around" in her kitchen. So I finally told my nieces and nephews that even though mom may invite them down all at one time it would be better if they split up their visits.

Now mom says she enjoys it so much better. In fact she said that when there were so many people here at one time she really didn't have enough one-on-one with any of them.

But that was the way I was raised. Whenever family visited family they all stayed with each other.
Reply/Quote
It really depends on who the visitors are. One of my sisters is welcome as long as she wants to stay while the other just grinds at us. One pretty much keeps to herself and doesn't become annoying while the other tries to impose her will on everyone. My kids are the same way . My son is easy going as a visitor,  but my daughter brings her kids with doors being opened and slammed shut pretty much on an hourly basis. I love them all and look forward to seeing them, but the day they leave is usually the best day of them all.  That's just the nature of visitors.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Thinking about house guests.. My daughter and her 3 kids and one on the way are due in the 11th forever...errr 2 weeks.  I really do love my daughter and the grandkids, but ...
Nah.. I'm not even going to go there..I don't want to pre-screw things up before it happens.. lol
At the very least I'm going to teach my 13 year old grandson how to build a chair out in the workshop..  Hopefully he'll actually absorb something and get the woodworking bug. 

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
We had my niece and her son for a week which was ok.. Now it's my daughter, her husband and 3 1/2 kids in till Sunday..3 1/2..3 kids and one in the oven . 
I don't really mind them coming to visit ,but it would be better if they could stagger visits instead of everyone always coming in the  dead of summer when it's hot, humid and I have a lot of yard work to do plus a gazillion dishes to do.  

My grandson hoodwinked me into helping him make a couple of wooden swords out in the shop. Him and his buddies like to have wood sword fights.. 
We made on from crape myrtle wood, same type of wood very good for making bows and arrows,  mostly bows.. Really strong and flexible wood.. Not overly shabby for a 14 year old kid although I spent a good amount of time keeping him from cutting fingers off, etc.  

Reply/Quote