Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House punishes Memphis for removing Confederate statues with $250,000 budget cut
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/17/house-amends-budget-remove-250-000-dedicated-memphis-after-statue-removal/526482002/

Quote:House lawmakers on Tuesday approved a last-minute amendment to remove $250,000 allocated to the city of Memphis as punishment for the removal of Confederate monuments.

The amendment, which was approved with a 56-31 vote, was introduced as a result of Memphis officials’ decision to remove two controversial statues on public property last year.

After being denied a waiver by the state Historical Commission to remove the statues, Memphis sold two public parks in December to a nonprofit, which then removed statues of Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest and Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

Rep. Steve McDaniel, R-Parkers Crossroads, who has been an outspoken advocate for the preservation of historical monuments, sponsored the amendment.

"What this amendment does is it removes $250,000 from the budget that is designated to go to the city of Memphis for their bicentennial celebration," he said on the House floor. "If you recall, back in December, Memphis did something that removed historical markers in the city. It was the city of Memphis that did this, and it was full knowing it was not the will of the legislature."

More: Tennessee bill that aimed to protect controversial statues killed
The Commercial Appeal's 9:01: In punishing Memphis, state lawmakers embarrassed themselves

During Tuesday's floor session, Democrats argued the amendment was vindictive. Rep. Antonio Parkinson, D-Memphis, called it the most "vile, racist" effort he had seen and said Republicans viewed Forrest "as if he was God."

Rep. Raumesh Akbari, D-Memphis, called the amendment "un-Christian."

"This amendment and the explanation is hateful, it is unkind, it is un-Christian and it is unfair," she said. "Memphis is a city in this state, and I am sick of people in this House acting like it’s not."

But Republicans members in the House were unswayed.

Defending the amendment, Rep. Andy Holt, R-Dresden, argued that "bad actions" have "bad consequences." 

On Wednesday, the Senate approved its version of the state budget. The $250,000 for Memphis was never in the upper chamber's version of the $37.5 billion spending plan. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Waaaahhhhhh, someone took away my Civil War participation trophy! Waahahhhhhhh!!!!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Wait, wait, wait. A city can SELL its public parks?!
Memphis is the biggest city in the State, but it is also an isolated island of Democrats. The rest of the Sate is VERY Republican. Here where I live the Republican primaries are the actual elections because no Democrat ever wins in the general election. In fact many Republicans are unopposed in the general election after they win the Republican primary.

The State Legislature has a "super majority" of Republicans so they can (and do) shit all over Memphis as much as they want.

Interesting fact. Bristol TN is closer to Canada than it is to Memphis.
I'm of two minds on this.  One, the action by the state legislature is certainly vindictive and retaliatory in nature.  On the other hand, Memphis intentionally and surreptitiously circumvented state law by selling off the parks so the statues could be removed.  So, the question really is, does a spiteful and petty initial move justify a spiteful and petty move in response?  I'd say, no, but that seems to be US politics at this point.
Hell if they sold public parks then why should they be denied a slice of public funds?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-19-2018, 04:55 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'm of two minds on this.  One, the action by the state legislature is certainly vindictive and retaliatory in nature.  On the other hand, Memphis intentionally and surreptitiously circumvented state law by selling off the parks so the statues could be removed.  So, the question really is, does a spiteful and petty initial move justify a spiteful and petty move in response?  I'd say, no, but that seems to be US politics at this point.

(04-19-2018, 04:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell if they sold public parks then why should they be denied a slice of public funds?

This was a conflict between the City and the State.  City basically claimed they could control what was on city property.  State tried to control what was on city property by claiming jurisdiction over "historical preservation" (a power usually reserved for use against private property owners).

State got PISSED when the city found a loophole, so they withheld $250K that was supposed to help pay for the City's Bicentennial celebration.  I guess they can argue that the State should not have to pay for a City celebration, but Memphis is a huge tourist site and the celebration there would benefit the state with additional business and sales tax. 
Here is the saddest part about all of this. It is over some symbolic issues that don't really effect anyone.

If we could amend our state laws and constitution so that public schools were more evenly funded instead of depending on local wealth it would be one of the biggest boons for minorities ever, but if I tried to get a rally to support that action no one would show up. On the other hand if I start whining about a statue or a flag then thousands will rally behind me.

We need to do a better job of channeling all of this energy toward more effective causes.
(04-20-2018, 12:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This was a conflict between the City and the State.  City basically claimed they could control what was on city property.  State tried to control what was on city property by claiming jurisdiction over "historical preservation" (a power usually reserved for use against private property owners).

State got PISSED when the city found a loophole, so they withheld $250K that was supposed to help pay for the City's Bicentennial celebration.  I guess they can argue that the State should not have to pay for a City celebration, but Memphis is a huge tourist site and the celebration there would benefit the state with additional business and sales tax. 

I am well aware of all of this.  Nor does any of it detract from my point, one petty and vindictive action begat another.
(04-20-2018, 01:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I am well aware of all of this.  Nor does any of it detract from my point, one petty and vindictive action begat another.

Some people consider the State's initial refusal to allow the removal of the statues the first "petty" action.
(04-20-2018, 12:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is the saddest part about all of this.  It is over some symbolic issues that don't really effect anyone.

If we could amend our state laws and constitution so that public schools were more evenly funded instead of depending on local wealth it would be one of the biggest boons for minorities ever, but if I tried to get a rally to support that action no one would show up.  On the other hand if I start whining about a statue or a flag then thousands will rally behind me.

We need to do a better job of channeling all of this energy toward more effective causes.

I don't think I've ever seen you post something truer than this.  ThumbsUp