Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housh gets it
T.J. Houshmandzadeh did an interview with Tyler Dragon and explained how the team should be building around Burrow.

And to those who want to draft Pitts or Chase or anyone that isn't an offensive lineman... you aren't going to like it.

“The Bengals need to focus on keeping (Joe Burrow) protected. They shouldn’t sign or draft any skill players. It should be offensive linemen in the draft (and) offensive linemen in free agency, because you can find a receiver in the third, fourth or fifth round. If the protection is there, Joe is gonna get you the ball.”

The man knows football and as a former 7th round pick, he is a perfect example of why you can't waste the 1st rounder on a skill position when you don't have 5 great starters on the O-line. Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw, one of them will be there at 5 and one of them needs to be the pick.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/19/tj-houshmandzadeh-reveals-bengals-build-around-joe-burrow/

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:05 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: T.J. Houshmandzadeh did an interview with Tyler Dragon and explained how the team should be building around Burrow.

And to those who want to draft Pitts or Chase or anyone that isn't an offensive lineman... you aren't going to like it.

“The Bengals need to focus on keeping (Joe Burrow) protected. They shouldn’t sign or draft any skill players. It should be offensive linemen in the draft (and) offensive linemen in free agency, because you can find a receiver in the third, fourth or fifth round. If the protection is there, Joe is gonna get you the ball.”

The man knows football and as a former 7th round pick, he is a perfect example of why you can't waste the 1st rounder on a skill position when you don't have 5 great starters on the O-line. Sewell, Slater or Darrisaw, one of them will be there at 5 and one of them needs to be the pick.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/19/tj-houshmandzadeh-reveals-bengals-build-around-joe-burrow/

this is also the man that said he had Ross on the right track and would have a breakout year... hmmm... so his word is not golden but totally agree with him.. Dalton was a solid QB but when the line went south so did him and the team... Burrow is the expected franchise QB.. build aline around him.. we will start to see clearly if the potential is reality 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: this is also the man that said he had Ross on the right track and would have a breakout year... hmmm... so his word is not golden but totally agree with him.. Dalton was a solid QB but when the line went south so did him and the team... Burrow is the expected franchise QB.. build aline around him.. we will start to see clearly if the potential is reality 

this is why I dont care what TJ says
Reply/Quote
I like the guy and respect what he has to say, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with him here. Why? Because the first pick of the draft isn't the end all/be all to the situation. They can go out and sign 2 B or C tier tackles this year, a premium guard, and another vet backup at guard - easily. If they do that then they aren't panicking should Sewell come off the board before 5. 

There's no guarantee that Darrisaw or Slater are going to be impact players if taken at 5 any more than it was a guarantee that Price would be an impact player just because he was taken in round 1. If they don't get the OL up to being at least passable/less awful than putrid before the draft, they did something wrong imo. If they go into the draft desperate, that's just a recipe for watering down the roster. Which sounds better:

A. Having the freedom to take any player at any position. 
B. Going into the draft desperate and dead set on taking a specific position, regardless of the quality of the players who may be available. 

I would prefer Sewell at 5, but wouldn't be miffed in the slightest if he were gone and they decided to take Chase or Pitts. They'd possibly have a game breaking talent and depth for if Boyd/Higgins miss time.
Reply/Quote
Douschmanzadeh is just worried we're going to draft Pitts and he is going to be so awesome that the #84 will be forever associated with someone else...that someone else being Pitts.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 12:14 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Douschmanzadeh is just worried we're going to draft Pitts and he is going to be so awesome that the #84 will be forever associated with someone else...that someone else being Pitts.

Uh huh... I can hardly remember the names of the redneck, and the Trick Daddy wannabe that wore 85 before Tee Higgins. Having said that... Pitts has a long way to go before we forget Jamal Grisham.

In all seriousness; didn't Arman Binns or whatever his name was wear 85 too for the 5 minutes he was a thing?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:42 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I like the guy and respect what he has to say, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with him here. Why? Because the first pick of the draft isn't the end all/be all to the situation. They can go out and sign 2 B or C tier tackles this year, a premium guard, and another vet backup at guard - easily. If they do that then they aren't panicking should Sewell come off the board before 5. 

There's no guarantee that Darrisaw or Slater are going to be impact players if taken at 5 any more than it was a guarantee that Price would be an impact player just because he was taken in round 1. If they don't get the OL up to being at least passable/less awful than putrid before the draft, they did something wrong imo. If they go into the draft desperate, that's just a recipe for watering down the roster. Which sounds better:

A. Having the freedom to take any player at any position. 
B. Going into the draft desperate and dead set on taking a specific position, regardless of the quality of the players who may be available. 

I would prefer Sewell at 5, but wouldn't be miffed in the slightest if he were gone and they decided to take Chase or Pitts. They'd possibly have a game breaking talent and depth for if Boyd/Higgins miss time.

This. If they take care of business in FA it will open up the draft board to go BPA. Reaching for need is not the way to go.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 01:49 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This. If they take care of business in FA it will open up the draft board to go BPA. Reaching for need is not the way to go.

At this point, with teams setting up to tag Tackles, who is out there that is going to come here and be an upgrade at tackle?

There is a need for one tackle, 1 maybe 2 guards if Spain re-signs, and for a bit we have a hole at C.

I just don't get why anyone wants Pitts or Chase... 

We just watched a shit O-line end Burrow's season. So, Pitts or Chase will be great with Ryan Finley under center...

Also just saw the best offense around with an unreal weapon at WR, possibly the best TE and an amazing QB get shut down due to a shit O-line.

They could get 5 new players between the draft and FA for the line and it wouldn't be a waste as even Jonah has injury concerns.

Sewell is the target. If he isn't there, move back to get one of the other two big time Tackle prospects.

Chase and Pitts are luxury items. We have a QB coming off a knee surgery. I keep hearing all this take care of it in free agency stuff. Well, there is only so much money especially after they most likely tag Lawson or WJIII.  

O-line, O-line and more O-line is the correct answer. If Burrow is half the QB he is supposed to be, he should be able to turn 4th rounders in to stars. Plenty of other QBs have had much more success with much less in the weapons department.

Reply/Quote
Saw this and was going to post it because I did like what he had to say. Protect the franchise first and foremost. Burrow can make anyone look good.

Yes, some guys might be better playmakers, but is the difference between what receivers/tight end we can get in the draft versus what we have to can get in free agency enough to justify passing on adding protection for the franchise?

I agree that TJ's probably just doing what Chad used to do in trying to draw the attention back on himself, but he did make sense here.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:00 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: At this point, with teams setting up to tag Tackles, who is out there that is going to come here and be an upgrade at tackle?

There is a need for one tackle, 1 maybe 2 guards if Spain re-signs, and for a bit we have a hole at C.

We just watched a shit O-line end Burrow's season. So, Pitts or Chase will be great with Ryan Finley under center...

Also just saw the best offense around with an unreal weapon at WR, possibly the best TE and an amazing QB get shut down due to a shit O-line.

They could get 5 new players between the draft and FA for the line and it wouldn't be a waste as even Jonah has injury concerns.

Sewell is the target. If he isn't there, move back to get one of the other two big time Tackle prospects.

Chase and Pitts are luxury items. We have a QB coming off a knee surgery. I keep hearing all this take care of it in free agency stuff. Well, there is only so much money especially after they most likely tag Lawson or WJIII.  

O-line, O-line and more O-line is the correct answer. If Burrow is half the QB he is supposed to be, he should be able to turn 4th rounders in to stars. Plenty of other QBs have had much more success with much less in the weapons department.

Like Bilbo said, it’s not make or break at #5. There will likely be some good options at OT in the 2nd (Eichenberg, Leatherwood, etc), and definitely some good IOL options. I just don’t see the value being there at 5 for any of them other than Sewell. If they trade back that’s a different story then maybe Darrisaw, Slater, Cosmi, etc. Depends on the offers though.

As far as FA goes, I almost want them to focus on OG more than OT anyway. Likely better options for top tier guys, and it’s a bigger need for us anyway. Yes, Jonah is not off to a great start as far as staying healthy, but I’m not ready to call the guy Eifert 2.0 yet either. And he looked good when he was out there. I’d love to replace Hart but not at the expense of reaching with a top 5 pick. Either trade back (again we might not get a offer worth it) or take one in the 2nd.

What happened to KC in the playoffs can happen to any team. They just got hit with a bunch of injuries to the OL. No team in the league has the depth to overcome 2-3 starters going down all at once. But they don’t even make these Super Bowl runs without those elite weapons though. You need both. If all it took was an elite OL the Cowboys would have won it all at least once during those years they had studs across their OL.

I want Pitts or Chase (if Sewell is gone) because they’ll be the BPA, and will make our offense much better. And the #5 pick alone is not going to ensure Burrow is protected no matter who they take.

Reply/Quote
When's the last time the Bengals took a WR in the third of fourth round who made any impact at all? Love Housh as a player, but come on. He was a really good slot receiver who was a 7th round steal but we need a starting outside receiver who is a big play, deep threat opposite Higgins who can replace AJ Green.

Yes, we need O-Line help. But we also need to surround Burrow with weapons who can make big plays so we don't have to try to sustain 17 play drives in order to score. Tough to win like that.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:56 AM)Mobster Wrote: When's the last time the Bengals took a WR in the third of fourth round who made any impact at all? Love Housh as a player, but come on. He was a really good slot receiver who was a 7th round steal but we need a starting outside receiver who is a big play, deep threat opposite Higgins who can replace AJ Green.

Yes, we need O-Line help. But we also need to surround Burrow with weapons who can make big plays so we don't have to try to sustain 17 play drives in order to score. Tough to win like that.

Does Boyd not count as your #1 weapon? He was carrying the load without Higgins when Green went down. I have no issue with those two being the top 2 guys.

Also, look back and ask yourself this, when is the last time the Bengals took anyone who was an impact player in the 3rd or 4th round.

It is ugly unless it is D-line.

19 - Pratt, Finley, Jordan and Wren
18 - Hubbard, Malik Jefferson, Mark Walton
17 - Jordan Willis, Carl Lawson, Josh Malone, Ryan Glasgow
16 - Vigil and Billings
15 - Tyler Kroft, Paul Dawson, Josh Shaw, Marcus Hardison
14 - Will Clarke, Russell Bodine

With that track record, may as well go edge in 3 and 4 as it is the only safe bet. Sign a WR in FA, and take O-line in 1 and 2.

But to answer your question of when, it was 2012 when they took Sanu in the 3rd and Marvin Jones in the 5th.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:56 AM)Mobster Wrote: When's the last time the Bengals took a WR in the third of fourth round who made any impact at all? Love Housh as a player, but come on. He was a really good slot receiver who was a 7th round steal but we need a starting outside receiver who is a big play, deep threat opposite Higgins who can replace AJ Green.

Yep. A true deep threat is going to help Mixon and the run game, too. Which also helps protect Burrow. It’s all connected.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:09 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: this is also the man that said he had Ross on the right track and would have a breakout year... hmmm... so his word is not golden but totally agree with him.. Dalton was a solid QB but when the line went south so did him and the team... Burrow is the expected franchise QB.. build aline around him.. we will start to see clearly if the potential is reality 

I'll give him a pass on this. What Ross had stolen from him under or by Marvin Lewis undermined his confidence. TJ was still working with him when he said that. He was working on building his confidence. He still sucked, but I don't fault TJ for supporting him.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
To me the pick at #5 has to be Sewell, if he's there I'm running the card up. If he is gone then I'm looking to trade back a few picks to hopefully at least acquire an extra 3rd rd pick this year.

Trade back options:

1) Christian Darrisaw-RT
2) Kyle Pitts-TE
3) Rashawn Slater-RT/LT
4)Kwity Paye-Edge

Stay at 5 options if no Sewell:

1) Jamarr Chase-WR
2) Kyle Pitts-TE
3) Micah Parsons-LB

-to me if Sewell is gone trading back is the smart move, if not taking an elite skill player is the BPA route and I'd be happy with Chase/Pitts, then get offensive line in 2nd.
Reply/Quote
I know some people will lose their shit, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they moved back and took Surtain/Farley after letting WJIII walk.

I wouldn't like it one bit.

I'm finding myself in the school of thought to load up the offense this year(O-line/TE/WR)and focus next season to fix the holes in the D.

That being said... taking Parsons is not high on my list either.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Housh should've stayed with the team but didn't realize his success hinged on having  true #1 WR to draw the defense.

The Seattle fans and sports media ate him alive for not being "the guy".

AJ Green is a shell of his old self but still called for attention.

I can pretty much guarantee that players like Chase & Pitts will immediately get the draw in an opposition's D game planning coverage.

It sure would be damn nice not to have such a huge drop off from Boyd and Higgins or to have a legit TE to keep LBers from pinning their ears back.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 04:00 AM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I'll give him a pass on this. What Ross had stolen from him under or by Marvin Lewis undermined his confidence. TJ was still working with him when he said that. He was working on building his confidence. He still sucked, but I don't fault TJ for supporting him.
I don;t fault him, the post just came off a bit over the top on TJ and his opinion being golden is all.. I totally agree with him and hope the Bengals follow that plan of building the line and not choosing a luxury item over #1 priority.  I will steal a election line that seems to fit "build back better"  for our line needs
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2021, 09:19 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: this is why I dont care what TJ says

Hahaha what’s T.J. supposed to say he’s working the guy out and asked how’s ross was coming along. He’s not going to publicly bash or say ross doesn’t have what it takes. Ross’s biggest issue out here was confidence it’s no surprise a guy like housh is was simply trying to stroke an ego and build the guy up. Him saying what he did about ross is in no way jeopardizing his credibility. What was he supposed to say cmon now. Housh is 10000000000000% right in what he said. Tooo many of u are trying to build this team as if we still have dalton. WAKE UP!! we have an elite talent and a franchise Qb finally at the position. PROTECT HIMMMMMMMM! Good lord yall
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2021, 02:00 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: At this point, with teams setting up to tag Tackles, who is out there that is going to come here and be an upgrade at tackle?

Argree...Hopefully we can land two starters in FA but we have little depth (especially if cuts come to Hart, Finley).. so the line is still vital importance and there are three tackles that seem to all be in the top 10 discussion and picking one of them at #5 is totally logical and really fits the BPA at a the need position without reaching.  I hope we actually can trade back a couple spots and add a pick but don;t miss out on a chance to get what you feel is going to be a quality starter day one on the line
Reply/Quote