Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housh wants to help out Ross
He was a technician. He could probably help all our receivers in that regard. Maybe the Bengals FO could start taking these former Bengals up on their offers to help.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 05:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Cris Carter could also teach him the importance of having a fall guy. 
Mike brown just dropped his pudding cup at the thought of drafting Lee majors. Great job bfine.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 12:57 PM)Trademark Wrote:
Awesome to hear, wish Housh would come here and be a coach

The Bengals should jump at the chance to give TJ a consultants position (doubt he would like to move here from Cali year round) and have him work with the likes of Core, Malone, and Ross.  I think he can help AJ, too. 

Ross needs to mature a little bit.  As much as I liked to see the "healthy scratch" video, you get nowhere in this world by starting fights and creating drama.  

I still believe with the right coach, and better talent at Center, OT, and Guard, this team could be lethal.  Will that happen?  Probably not.  But I always have hope....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 02:36 PM)Clep Wrote: I don’t think you’re giving TJ enough credit. Given his athleticism, he was one of the Bengal great WRs. He was able to do a lot without the “incredible” athleticism you see in other WRs.  in If Ross’s technique is as good as TJ’s, he will be dangerous

I agree 100%

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Don't get me wrong. I LOVED TJ as a player here, but I think some of you are giving him way too much credit.

His career was entirely predicated on the threat of Chad in his prime being double covered on the other side, often with Henry on the field as a deep threat as well. He moved on and couldn't come close to replicating the kind of success he had here when he was only facing soft zones or single coverage.

Obviously that doesn't mean he can't be successful as a coach. 2015 started with him as an intern, so who's to say that he didn't have an impact on our success that season.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:54 AM)Storer50 Wrote: Mike brown just dropped his pudding cup at the thought of drafting Lee majors. Great job bfine.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

He’d pass on Majors to draft Howie the side kick.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2017, 01:31 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Unguardable? Housh gives himself a little too much credit. He is hardly the messiah of WR's. Not saying he couldn't teach him a little positives here and there, but if he was to become a project to someone, I would prefer it be Jerry Rice, Chris Carter, Julio Jones or someone with a better work ethic. And, with the talent on the field today, nobody is ungaurdable.

The best players don't necessarily make for the best coaches. I can't think of many all time great players who did much as a coach. Coaching takes a different level of communication and mentality to mentor people. If it were as easy as Jerry Rice explaining what he did and people just hearing or seeing that then everyone he spoke to would be as good as Jerry Rice.

Housh wasn't the most gifted, biggest, fastest, strongest guy. He was a very hard worker (as was Chad, but he had gifts... as does AJ) who had to have smarts and technique to beat coverage. He's super smart and a good communicator. I like the idea of him coaching. I think he would have a talent for it.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:20 PM)PDub80 Wrote: The best players don't necessarily make for the best coaches. I can't think of many all time great players who did much as a coach. Coaching takes a different level of communication and mentality to mentor people. If it were as easy as Jerry Rice explaining what he did and people just hearing or seeing that then everyone he spoke to would be as good as Jerry Rice.

Housh wasn't the most gifted, biggest, fastest, strongest guy. He was a very hard worker (as was Chad, but he had gifts... as does AJ) who had to have smarts and technique to beat coverage. He's super smart and a good communicator. I like the idea of him coaching. I think he would have a talent for it.

To your point, Mike Singletary failed as a coach because he couldn't see that the approach he took as a player did not work for every player on his roster.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:37 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: To your point, Mike Singletary failed as a coach because he couldn't see that the approach he took as a player did not work for every player on his roster.

Exactly.  Experts in any field tend to do things by their own template where average players do things by the book...which makes them better coaches because they have a more grounded and relatable view of the subject at hand. 
Reply/Quote
Coaching and playing are two entirely different things.. The idea that a good retired player is going to be a great coach seldom adds up. Heck, the Reds should have won the world series year after year when Pete and Tony became coaches, but we saw what happened there..
I put little stock in the idea..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 03:05 PM)grampahol Wrote: Coaching and playing are two entirely different things.. The idea that a good retired player is going to be a great coach seldom adds up. Heck, the Reds should have won the world series year after year when Pete and Tony became coaches, but we saw what happened there..
I put little stock in the idea..

Tony only got 44 games and was fired.  And Pete, well, we all know what happened there.  
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly.  Experts in any field tend to do things by their own template where average players do things by the book...which makes them better coaches because they have a more grounded and relatable view of the subject at hand. 

If anything, the all-time greats have a drive to improve and succeed that can't be defeated.  They will spend every waking hour studying film, doing drills, or working to improve their bodies so they can conquer their opponent on the field.  Meanwhile, the average player wants to do their job and still have a life with their friends and families.  Guys like Singletary resent that attitude, and tend to take it out on all of the players that the players don't share that drive.  That creates resentment from the players and becomes a downward spiral.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2017, 02:57 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Exactly.  Experts in any field tend to do things by their own template where average players do things by the book...which makes them better coaches because they have a more grounded and relatable view of the subject at hand. 

Your "by the book" comment reminded me of something.

In my exit interview for the last job I had (an inside sales territory manager in the manufacturing industry) before I walked out and started my business I had a similar conversation. I was 24 at the time and this interview was specifically requested by the president of the company instead of my HR manager, which I thought was odd. I was leaving, young (I'm 37 now) and brash so I didn't give a damn about being PC or looking for another job as I was going off to make my own way. I was fearlessly honest with him.

He asked me why I didn't do things "by the book" and how I set major company sales records without making the required 50 calls a day and instead only doing 15-20 at most. I was only there a year and destroyed 30+ year old figures. In short, reply....

"By the book? The book is designed to raise your floor up to meet an average. It's not for people who wish to be top 1% successful. I was never interested in your income floor because I feel like I can push through the ceiling."

He knew that my immediate manager had harassed me since my 1 year start there to meet a 50 call quota because THAT was a metric HE was measured by. His response, "You're right. We failed you as a company because we aren't geared for people like you. You're a home run hitter and we train people to slap singles and bunts. I'm moving on, too, in a few months for the same reasons. I wish you the best of luck!" That was one of the favorite compliments I had ever received from any kind of "boss". Fortunately, I'll never have real one again. Wink

To circle that around to the Bengals, Marvin raised the floor for sure, but he's too conservative and stuck in his ways to push through any kind of ceiling. He's stuck in his own book's average. I don't think Housh is in the same mold, but would be a great coach.
Reply/Quote
Housh has been trying to get into coaching. Working with Ross will bolster his resume which he needs
Reply/Quote