Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Housing Secretary Ben Carson Says Poverty Is A 'State Of Mind'
I agree with Carson to a point, but I don't have a blanketed opinion of it for all in poverty that receive government aid/paychecks. Many grow up thinking that is just the way it is, to be on welfare and have many babies (so to speak). And just end up the same cycle like others over the decades. Others use government aid when times are tough and want to work their way out of their impoverished situation & area.

Imo, I disagreed with the Democrats method over the decades as it offers too much aid to keep those in improvished areas, hence why I think they did that to keep a chunk of their voting base intact.

On the flip-side I disagree with the very Republican model of helping the poor because they would eliminate a lot of funds needed for those that genuinely need it if they had the final say on it.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Since this is ultimately about poverty, I wanted to share this with you all: https://www.brookings.edu/interactives/five-evils-multidimensional-poverty-and-race-in-america/

I was doing my Saturday morning routine (listening to podcasts and playing Skyrim while my wife sleeps in late) and I heard two of those authors discussing poverty on the Intersections podcast from Brookings. Definitely an interesting discussion about poverty being about much more than just income, and how these factors change based on location, making a national measure of poverty a difficult thing to achieve.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-27-2017, 11:37 AM)Benton Wrote: No way. I'm a lot better looking.

Smirk

I don't even have to know what you look like to know that's probably true....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-27-2017, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just imagine if Carson would have won the Presidency what open-minded folks would be saying about his personal appearance, the way he talks, and his wife. 

Good point.  We just had 8 years of a certain segment of people asserting that Michelle Obama had a penis so I assume they would have redoubled their efforts to discuss hidden first lady lady penises had Carson won. 
(05-27-2017, 05:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Good point.  We just had 8 years of a certain segment of people asserting that Michelle Obama had a penis so I assume they would have redoubled their efforts to discuss hidden first lady lady penises had Carson won. 

I always found posts about Michelle's appearance to be in poor taste and generally refrained from commenting in a negative manner on her directly.

The one exception I can think of is when she feigned outrage about Trump's comments on the bus about weapon after recently rolling out the red carpet for Rick Ross
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

I saw a study by the brookibgs institution that said that if you work full time, graduate high school, and not become a single parent, then you're wayyy less likely to be in poverty. A Harvard study I linked way back when said that the biggest hinderance to social mobility was being raised by a single parent.

Not agreeing with Carson, but he's not 100 percent wrong.
(05-27-2017, 09:12 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I saw a study by the brookibgs institution that said that if you work full time, graduate high school, and not become a single parent, then you're wayyy less likely to be in poverty. A Harvard study I linked way back when said that the biggest hinderance to social mobility was being raised by a single parent.

Not agreeing with Carson, but he's not 100 percent wrong.

You should agree with Carson. He is good friends with Jesus.   ThumbsUp

[Image: 35c6jy6g782pjdx4g.jpg][/url]
(05-27-2017, 10:29 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just imagine if Carson would have won the Presidency what open-minded folks would be saying about his personal appearance, the way he talks, and his wife. 

probably the same thing that was said about obama and his family (which wasnt right either)

but come on, ben carson actually believed that the pyramids were use for grain storage...
People suck