Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How About a Repeat of 1998?
In 1998, the Bengals used their top two picks on two linebackers - Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons. This shored up the position for years and allowed these two guys to acclimate to the NFL together, learning to work together from day one.

This year, I've read a lot of debate about whether to take one of the Devins in the 1st round versus a guy like Mack Wilson in the 2nd. And it just got me to thinking... why not both? Bush and Wilson in particular sound like they'd compliment each other well, it puts a heavy focus on what is by far our worst position, and neither guy *has* to step in and play non stop immediately (because you'd have Brown and Vigil rotating in as needed).

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
I think what the Cincinnati Bengals would do this year is draft a top level linebacker somewhere early but I don't think they would go back to back they just have too many other holes and needs. but they do need two linebackers and I think they're going to try to find one gem later in the round.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't mind a Germane Pratt or Terrill Hanks in the latter rounds after taking one of the Devins in the first.
Reply/Quote
If there are 2 of the top LB guys in each round when we pick then Yes. It would fix the position instantly, well as long asw the guys dont end up busting
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2019, 12:12 AM)JWW1971 Wrote: If there are 2 of the top LB guys in each round when we pick then Yes. It would fix the position instantly, well as long asw the guys dont end up busting

See: the Ogbeughi/Fischer draft.
Reply/Quote
I can see them picking a LB on Day 1/2 and then another on Day 3, but I can't see them going Rd 1 and Rd 2. I don't think they re-signed Preston Brown to be a backup nor do I think they make Vigil LB4. I think they get a starter early and then a depth LB to (hopefully) knock Hardy Nickerson off the roster.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The LBer position and more specifically the inability to cover receivers over the middle has been a giant weakness of this team for much longer than just last season. It wouldn't surprise me or make me angry at all. Yes in know Oline, Oline.

But having said that I think the better strategy would be LBer/Oline/LBer in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 07:34 PM)NKURyan Wrote: In 1998, the Bengals used their top two picks on two linebackers - Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons. This shored up the position for years and allowed these two guys to acclimate to the NFL together, learning to work together from day one.

This year, I've read a lot of debate about whether to take one of the Devins in the 1st round versus a guy like Mack Wilson in the 2nd. And it just got me to thinking... why not both? Bush and Wilson in particular sound like they'd compliment each other well, it puts a heavy focus on what is by far our worst position, and neither guy *has* to step in and play non stop immediately (because you'd have Brown and Vigil rotating in as needed).

Thoughts?

Back then they were moving to a 3-4.  Nowadays we are in a base nickel - with 2 LBs.  I would say drafting 2 would be a waste considering Vigil and Brown can play.  I see 1 for sure.  We also have a 3rd rounder from last year that should see the field at some point.

We have plenty of depth guys right now (Jefferson, Evans,) - we need a starter.
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2019, 07:34 PM)NKURyan Wrote: In 1998, the Bengals used their top two picks on two linebackers - Takeo Spikes and Brian Simmons. This shored up the position for years and allowed these two guys to acclimate to the NFL together, learning to work together from day one.

Thoughts?

I am 100% in on taking two LBs in the draft, but not in round 1 and 2.  Maybe White in Rd 1 and a guy like David Long Jr from WVU in the 3rd.  They MUST get an OT in the first two rounds.  I think they could even end up going LB in Rd 3 and 4 with guys like Germaine Pratt and Long so they are able to get a premier DT in Rd 1 and an OT in Rd 2.  

If I had to choose how I would hope it would play out, I would love a guy like Taylor, OT, in Rd 1 and a DT in Rd 2 like Dexter Lawrence but I don't see him getting by the Pats at 32.  If he did, he could fall to us. 
Reply/Quote