Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mock
I'm doing a bunch of mocks and trying to switch-up where I pick so I'm ready for anything when I draft.

I was in the 7 slot this draft.

I picked as if it was my league format of:
-QB
-RB
-RB
-WR
-WR
-TE
-FLEX
-K
-D

(1)  Melvin Gordon RB LAC- he was a top ten back last year despite only playing in thirteen games and having a game where he only got three carries.  His line was also pretty bad last season, due a lot to injury, but they should be healthier and the Rams also picked up two guards in the draft.  I'm very happy with the value that I came away with in this pick.  

(2)  Jordan Howard RB Chi- Not many people start off drafts going with back-to-back RBs anymore because of how the league has developed into more of a passing league, but I couldn't pass up the value here.  Howard didn't become the starter until midway through the week 4 game last season, and still managed to put up 1,313 yards and 6 TDs.  He also caught 29 passes with one TD.  I think this pick could pay dividends.  

(3)  Brandin Cooks WR NE- he's not as good as Randy Moss, but he's fast, and we saw how Brady loved to go deep to Moss, so I feel like Cooks' big play value makes him a good pick here, and not to mention that Brady likes to spread the ball around.

(4)  Travis Kelce TE KC- I think Kelce's value would be higher if Mahones was QB, but it will likely be Alex Smith.  That might not be bad, though, because an aging QB's best friend is a reliable TE because it's a safety net and most aging QBs don't like to sling it all over the place.  He's the second-ranked TE on my board, so I was happy to get him here.

(5)  Michael Crabtree WR OAK- I still like Cooper more and think he's in for a huge year, but Crabtree should benefit from Cooper drawing coverage and Carr earning his huge paycheck.

(6)  Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI- he's aging but I think he still has enough left to put up a solid year.  The problem is that Palmer seemed to start to struggle last year.  This could be a good pick or a really bad one.  Not happy with myself.

(7)  Derek Carr QB OAK- I think he's a steal this late and I think he earns that big paycheck.  I also think Lynch will help keep defenses more honest.

(8)  CJ Prosise RB SEA- was injured most of last season, and he's behind Lacy, but I think he's going to get more work than people think and he's a big play threat.

(9)  Randall Cobb WR GB- he wasn't healthy last year so didn't put up good numbers, but had a good showing in the playoffs, and Rodgers is his QB, so I think I got great value here.

(10)  DeSean Jackson WR TB- Winston has a strong arm and I think Jackson benefits greatly from that.  I feel like it was a steal to get him this late.

(11)  Tyrell Williams WR LAC- he's talented, but there might not be enough passes to go his way with Allen and Williams on the roster, and not to mention that I already have Gordon.  Was a panic pick because time was running out, but I'm not happy with myself.

(12)  John Ross- with AJ drawing double-coverage, I feel like Ross can exploit defenses and catch a lot of passes, and not to mention that his speed will allow him to slip deep and catch a few bombs.  Sites say Ross is limited because Andy doesn't have a big arm, but that's just them hating on Dalton and not ignoring that he's had a nice long ball since working with Tom House.

(13)  Steelers D- I hate them with a passion, but it's not personal, it's strictly business.

(14)  Matt Bryan K ATL- kickers aren't real people, but Atlanta's offense provides a lot of scoring opportunities.

(15)  Dalton- if the line can hold up, it's a great pick to get him this late and could play him in some matchups.  

I wish I would have taken a back earlier over Fitz and still maybe even taken Prosise, and I regret the Tyrell Williams pick, but I don't think I did too bad.  

I attached a pic so you could see who was available and let me know what you would have done differently.

Thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
Not real sure what the right strategy is anymore. I always used to draft my RBs first and second. However, your probably on to something when mentioning NFL becoming a passing league. I don't think you go wrong taking receivers from NE or LAC. Both Rivers and Brady love to throw the ball and are pretty damn good. Not sure about Carr. I think he is overpaid and overrated. He's not a bad QB, just unsure of his true value. Ross is a great pick, but don't expect much from him early. I think he will need 1/2 a season to develope. However the possible upside is too attractive not to take the risk.

Steelers D is going to give up a lot of points this year and don't think this is a good choice. I could be wrong. I feel getting Andy was a good choice. If this offense pans out, his numbers will be through the roof and possibly a top 3 QB. Excellent low risk/hi reward pick.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Brad, just don't overthink the draft. That's why I just do the real draft and no mocks. It is the one that matters.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 11:27 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Brad, just don't overthink the draft. That's why I just do the real draft and no mocks. It is the one that matters.

Mocks help see develop different strategies.

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 11:27 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Brad, just don't overthink the draft. That's why I just do the real draft and no mocks. It is the one that matters.
What do you mean by that?

Everyone goes in with similar cheat sheets (or the same one if you're drafting online), but it's the people that are prepared that come out with the best drafts.
(07-23-2017, 11:56 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Mocks help see develop different strategies.

Exactly.

You need a strategy and plans of possibilities depending on how other people in your league draft.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 12:56 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: You need a strategy and plans of possibilities depending on how other people in your league draft.

I agree.  To the tune of over 50+ mocks now.  I'm a mockaholic.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 06:10 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I agree.  To the tune of over 50+ mocks now.  I'm a mockaholic.  

Yep and I'm trying a lot of different draft positions and ten and twelve team mocks because I'm in a few of each.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2017, 07:34 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Yep and I'm trying a lot of different draft positions and ten and twelve team mocks because I'm in a few of each.

Maybe we should start a "mockaholic" group.   Hilarious
Reply/Quote
You guys are obsessing over a fantasy football draft. If you are betting, then I understand the strategy point. If not, it is just a game and who cares about the winner.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 12:33 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You guys are obsessing over a fantasy football draft. If you are betting, then I understand the strategy point. If not, it is just a game and who cares about the winner.

I only play in money leagues!!!!

Usually have a grand or so riding on my leagues (combined).
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 12:33 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You guys are obsessing over a fantasy football draft. If you are betting, then I understand the strategy point. If not, it is just a game and who cares about the winner.

I don't know, maybe I enjoy doing it?   Whatever
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 01:21 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I don't know, maybe I enjoy doing it?   Whatever

Another good point.

I've been competitive my entire life and I love challenging my brain, which this does, even in mocks.

I'm glad he brought that up because it did bring to light the fact that I'm partly doing it to challenge my brain and just make it work.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2017, 02:03 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Another good point.

I've been competitive my entire life and I love challenging my brain, which this does, even in mocks.

I'm glad he brought that up because it did bring to light the fact that I'm partly doing it to challenge my brain and just make it work.

ThumbsUp

I agree with what you're saying.  But I still think his post was doosh-like.   Smack
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2017, 11:30 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I agree with what you're saying.  But I still think his post was doosh-like.   Smack

lol.......  the cripple abides  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote