Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Big Is The Ravens Game Really
(10-10-2022, 12:45 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lol. Biggest implosion by a SB team in history?

Teams make the SB one year then not the next all the time!

Yep. 1989 Bengals. 8-8 lost in Minnesota on Monday night in what was essentially a play in game for both teams.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:50 AM)Cicero Wrote: Yep. 1989 Bengals. 8-8 lost in Minnesota on Monday night in what was essentially a play in game for both teams.

And that is considered one of the bigger falloffs by the Super Bowl team in league history. Generally Super Bowl teams at least make postseason the following year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:52 AM)Joelist Wrote: And that is considered one of the bigger falloffs by the Super Bowl team in league history. Generally Super Bowl teams at least make postseason the following year. 

2020 49ers - 6-10.
2019 Rams missed playoffs.
2016 Panthers missed playoffs.

It happens. The losing team sometimes starts the next year slow and finishes strong. We'll see.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:52 AM)Joelist Wrote: And that is considered one of the bigger falloffs by the Super Bowl team in league history. Generally Super Bowl teams at least make postseason the following year. 

I don’t have the statistics in front of me but it happens quite frequently. It wasn’t really considered anything in 1989 other than a super bowl hangover. The Rams aren’t exactly tearing it up right now either.
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:43 AM)Joelist Wrote: We lost a hyper critical must win game. As of now our playoff odds are pretty tiny and not even making postseason would make this one of the biggest implosions by a Super Bowl team in NFL history. It also basically shows the team are just a bunch of poseurs.

Of course, you knew "The rout was on" when it was 3-0
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 01:17 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course, you knew "The rout was on" when it was 3-0

I didn't post that - someone else did. 
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 12:47 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Both the Rams and Bengals are having average years. Difficult to repeat in Super Bowl. Always a new sheriff in Dodge.

Off the top of my head the Rams lost Von Miller and Andrew Whitworth that I know of and maybe more. But those are two huge pieces of their puzzle where the Bengals mostly added help. 

Yes it does happen all the time, but we are square in the middle of our short window of opportunity before paying Burrow and Chase and having to play with lesser talent at other positions. 

It makes it that much more frustrating. Yet not throwing in the towel and still believe, but we're only a few more of these games away from having a minuscule chance of post season play.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Maybe in the minority here, but I actually think thats a 'quality' loss.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with losing that as it was a big game. But the Ravens are a good team, and have had a good start to the year. Really they could (maybe should) have been 4-0 going into that game. Their offence had been rolling, Jackson had been looking strong... yet our defence shut it down, and held them to little. Defence so far has been more than playoff calibre. To go on the road in Prime Time, and lose to a last minute FG to a team who are good, and were probably really amped for revenge... to me it's a sign that the Bengals as a team aren't 'quite' the Bengals of old.

So I think it's a 'quality' loss, and we wouldn't be quite as down on this had we beaten the Steelers and were sitting at 3-2 right now. But it is still a loss, and there are still fairly big issues with the offence. Obviously at 2-3 the team will have to go on a winning streak and we'll likely have to get a win or two in that brutal end of season schedule.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 05:05 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Maybe in the minority here, but I actually think thats a 'quality' loss.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with losing that as it was a big game. But the Ravens are a good team, and have had a good start to the year. Really they could (maybe should) have been 4-0 going into that game. Their offence had been rolling, Jackson had been looking strong... yet our defence shut it down, and held them to little. Defence so far has been more than playoff calibre. To go on the road in Prime Time, and lose to a last minute FG to a team who are good, and were probably really amped for revenge... to me it's a sign that the Bengals as a team aren't 'quite' the Bengals of old.

So I think it's a 'quality' loss, and we wouldn't be quite as down on this had we beaten the Steelers and were sitting at 3-2 right now. But it is still a loss, and there are still fairly big issues with the offence. Obviously at 2-3 the team will have to go on a winning streak and we'll likely have to get a win or two in that brutal end of season schedule.

No such thing in the NFL. Ravens had the worst ranked pass defense in the league, and we yet again laid a giant egg on offense. The defense has played very well, but our offense is mediocre at best. Zac Taylor does not help that with his abysmal in game decisions. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
Just looking at schedule alone right now, if Ravens stay healthy I see them with being favored in 8 to 9 games rest of season.. so 10-7 looks pretty good and looking at our schedule probably enough for the division
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2022, 08:52 AM)Garrus Wrote: No such thing in the NFL. Ravens had the worst ranked pass defense in the league, and we yet again laid a giant egg on offense. The defense has played very well, but our offense is mediocre at best. Zac Taylor does not help that with his abysmal in game decisions. 

I disagree, not all losses are the same and that applies to any sport. The NFL is no different, it's just the losses are just more difficult to overcome as the schedule is short. You can't win them all (only one team ever has). 

There's definitely a big difference between yesterday's loss and the Steelers game. There were encouraging elements to the loss yesterday, but I definitely agree coaching and the offence were not one of them. 
Reply/Quote