Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Delete Messages On My Wix Website?
Two people posted inappropriate comments on my website's homepage (one was from this blog).

Does anyone know how I delete them?
Reply/Quote
Whats the website?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 08:02 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whats the website?

http://bradfritz.org
Reply/Quote
Dude - Those comments really pissed me off. Sorry they're even there. If you have a way to respond to comments, you might find a way to delete in there. Other than that, if you don't have a user panel, you will need to contact the creator of the sight and ask them to remove the comments.

Reply/Quote
(02-23-2022, 08:44 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dude - Those comments really pissed me off. Sorry they're even there. If you have a way to respond to comments, you might find a way to delete in there. Other than that, if you don't have a user panel, you will need to contact the creator of the sight and ask them to remove the comments.

Yeah. I think the Greg Abbott dude is a member on here. I have no clue about the girl. 

I've searched the help sections and emailed different help sections on the site, as well as asked in a live chat, but no one has gotten back to me.

I don't want to ask on Facebook because I don't want everyone going to my website and seeing the comments.
Reply/Quote
I don't know how much control you have on your website. I'm not very familiar with Wix, but most sites that use similar content management systems have different privileges given to their users and admins. Usually that includes the ability to moderate comments. So if you didn't set the website up yourself perhaps you can ask the admin to show you how to moderate comments. It's your site so it makes sense to me that you should be able to do so, especially if people are making shitty comments.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 06:29 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I don't know how much control you have on your website.  I'm not very familiar with Wix, but most sites that use similar content management systems have different privileges given to their users and admins.  Usually that includes the ability to moderate comments.  So if you didn't set the website up yourself perhaps you can ask the admin to show you how to moderate comments.  It's your site so it makes sense to me that you should be able to do so, especially if people are making shitty comments.

I have total control of it.

Someone assisted me and I fount out how to delete them.

I thought I could do it from the actual website but I just had to go to the Wix page and look for how to edit the comments, which was hidden behind a few tabs.
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 07:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I have total control of it.

Someone assisted me and I fount out how to delete them.

I thought I could do it from the actual website but I just had to go to the Wix page and look for how to edit the comments, which was hidden behind a few tabs.

Cool, glad you got it sorted out.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 08:20 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Cool, glad you got it sorted out.

The same guy posted another dirty comment today.

Honestly, how big of a douchebag do you have to be to get your jollies off posting a comment on someone's professional website?
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 12:27 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: The same guy posted another dirty comment today.

Honestly, how big of a douchebag do you have to be to get your jollies off posting a comment on someone's professional website?

No idea. Some people are just a-holes and have nothing better to do. But if it keeps happening you might look at the options for comments on your website.  Many content management systems I am familiar with that allow comments have an option that require comments be approved by the site admin before they can be posted on the public page.  It certainly takes more work as you would have to review each comment and approve it.  But if troll comments are an ongoing issue it might be worth looking into.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 05:35 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: No idea. Some people are just a-holes and have nothing better to do. But if it keeps happening you might look at the options for comments on your website.  Many content management systems I am familiar with that allow comments have an option that require comments be approved by the site admin before they can be posted on the public page.  It certainly takes more work as you would have to review each comment and approve it.  But if troll comments are an ongoing issue it might be worth looking into.

The lady that initially made it had her company go out of business so someone on here actually found a way to get it back.

I've been looking on the website that he built it through to make me have approve comments but I can't find it.

I think I did find a way to be emailed when someone comments so I'd be notified and able to delete it right away.
Reply/Quote
You may check to see if you can add a layer to the commenting process, like make them become a "member" and sign-in to leave a comment. Require some sort of verifiable email address, etc. It will make people think twice about being a tool, when they realize there is a way to connect a comment to an individual.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: You may check to see if you can add a layer to the commenting process, like make them become a "member" and sign-in to leave a comment.  Require some sort of verifiable email address, etc.  It will make people think twice about being a tool, when they realize there is a way to connect a comment to an individual.

I'll look into that but I also don't want to discourage people that come to the website and just want to leave an encouraging comment or a "thank you" but don't want to go through all that.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2022, 06:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'll look into that but I also don't want to discourage people that come to the website and just want to leave an encouraging comment or a "thank you" but don't want to go through all that.

Very understandable.  Unfortunately websites that have an open comment option without some checks are vulnerable to unwanted and trolling comments.   So your options are either to check the comments regularly and delete the troll comments or try to limit them by enabling some system that requires comments to be approved, and or require some form of email registration to leave a comment.  Unfortunately the later can also be abused as anyone can create an email address or multiple email address via many services.

So you need to decide what fits best for you and your website.  It sucks that people abuse website comment systems to troll.  But if you want to limit that then you will need to use tools available that don't allow just any person (or troll) to leave a comment easily without some form of checks.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote