Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Find Section 8 Housing Near Me?
(10-07-2021, 09:31 PM)Benton Wrote:  First, you have to meet government standards (doorway requirements, electrical, etc).

I had an older house I rented and there was just one window that would not stay open unless it was propped with something and they rejected me.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 09:31 PM)Benton Wrote: As to why they don't, we used to have apartments and houses we rented out. Section 8 was a hassle. First, you have to meet government standards (doorway requirements, electrical, etc). Then you have to wait on the government to send their portion. Politicians chanting for shutdowns? They really made people not want to depend on the government to make timely payments. And lastly, most of the renters didn't cover their portion (it's income based so it can be anywhere from a small percent to all of it).

I won't be a landlord again and if I did, no way would it be for low income housing.

I won't either and would never allow pets, late payments nor any changes to the property. That doesn't even mention that lower income folks tend to not take care of the place they live. That doesn't mean they never do, but the tendency is that they won't. I also wouldn't rent to anyone running a daycare out of their place..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2021, 02:29 PM)grampahol Wrote: I won't either and would never allow pets, late payments nor any changes to the property. That doesn't even mention that lower income folks tend to not take care of the place they live. That doesn't mean they never do, but the tendency is that they won't. I also wouldn't rent to anyone running a daycare out of their place..

That's the big one for me. I don't rent property, but I've been in enough Section 8 housing units throughout my law enforcement career to know that when the tenant really has little or no skin in the game in keeping a place nice, they don't care. They can trash it and move on to the next.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 10:17 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's the big one for me. I don't rent property, but I've been in enough Section 8 housing units throughout my law enforcement career to know that when the tenant really has little or no skin in the game in keeping a place nice, they don't care. They can trash it and move on to the next.

That’s not an issue with her because she’s lonely and has nothing else to do so she just cleans her place all the time, which is another reason why I want her closer: so she can hang out with me more and make some friends around here.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 01:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That’s not an issue with her because she’s lonely and has nothing else to do so she just cleans her place all the time, which is another reason why I want her closer: so she can hang out with me more and make some friends around here.

I dont doubt that, I'm just talking in generalities. I saw people in the projects who kept their place immaculate. They were few and far between though and as a landlord that's what I would base.my decision on when deciding if I would accept section 8 applicants
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 08:01 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Did a little more digging you might find this link of some help:

http://kyjustice.org/general-questions-about-subsidized-housing

So your if your friend has a voucher then she should contact the agency that approved it as they should be able to help her find a place as well as walk her through what she needs to do.

I have quite a lot of experience in dealing with project-based section 8, through a company we do work for. Based on the people i've seen in that type of housing, you definitely want to stay away from that. 

Definitely.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2021, 01:19 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: That’s not an issue with her because she’s lonely and has nothing else to do so she just cleans her place all the time, which is another reason why I want her closer: so she can hang out with me more and make some friends around here.

Sounds like she should just move in with you.
Reply/Quote