Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do I Tell People To Back Off?
(07-06-2021, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you dedicate your life to making strangers like you then you will never be happy with yourself.

I am never rude to strangers, but when I go out to enjoy myself I do what I want instead of worrying about what every random stranger thinks of me.  If someone is "not the type of person I hang with" then I don't give them my number or ask them to come someplace with me.

Who said I was trying to make him like me?  

I was being polite.

Who the hell are you to tell me what will make me happy with myself?

Also, I know this comes as a surprise to you, but I don't really care how you live your life and I don't attempt to model my life after you.  We are two entirely different people in entirely different circumstances.  I realize that this is difficult for you, but it's not always about you.  In fact, in my life, it's never about you, and I tell you that in an attempt to help you.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2021, 08:03 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Last night, I'm sitting at the bar at Wings & Rings watching the game and ordering food.  

This guy sits next to me and starts talking to me and asking what happened and just talking about nothing.  He's going on and on about nothing and I'm just thinking "I just want to relax and watch the game," but I keep listening and answering questions.

Then, he goes into how his son got into trouble with the law and, when the police came to arrest him, he put a gun to his head, and accidentally shot himself because the pistol had hair trigger.  Weird story but I'm not about to ask any questions or anything.  

What happened to me has nothing to do with what happened to his son but he just knew that I had experienced tragedy so it helped him to open up to me, which he told me.  I'm hoping it ends there because, like I said, I just wanted to relax and watch the game.

The guy had been coughing and sneezing into his hands all night and hugging me.  When my food comes, I cut up some of it, set the knife on my plate, and start to eat.  He keeps talking and asking me questions, which was annoying because I had to stop eating to type out answers.

I'm almost finished with the first few things I had cut and he picks up my knife in the middle of the blade and goes to cut up my food for me.

Rant

I quickly grab it back after he cuts into a piece like "what the hell?"

I know Covid doesn't seem like much of an issue anymore, but it's still just something that goes against common decency, especially after he had been coughing and sneezing into his hands.

Rant

How do I explain to people that I have boundaries without being a dick?  I feel like there was no way for me to do it without ruining the guy's night and making him feel like a dick.

Just look him straight in the eyes and with a big smile say, "Me me big boy!!!" over and over again.

Works every time! ;-)
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(07-06-2021, 11:21 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Just look him straight in the eyes and with a big smile say, "Me me big boy!!!" over and over again.

Works every time! ;-)

I'd be scared of how he'd take that!

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(07-07-2021, 12:39 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I'd be scared of how he'd take that!

Hilarious

I have been known to do this to telemarketers when they call.

Hilarious
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
There's lots of ways to not give your phone number out to people..Simply say it's not working or give them the wrong number or its a borrowed phone or any number of ways around that issue. 
As far as people who won't leave you alone just go silent or just mention you have too much on your mind at the moment and don't care to discuss things..
Nothing rude about it. It's not as if you're an international super star with thousands of groupies trying to rip your clothing off..are you? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-11-2021, 10:26 AM)grampahol Wrote: There's lots of ways to not give your phone number out to people..Simply say it's not working or give them the wrong number or its a borrowed phone or any number of ways around that issue. 
As far as people who won't leave you alone just go silent or just mention you have too much on your mind at the moment and don't care to discuss things..
Nothing rude about it. It's not as if you're an international super star with thousands of groupies trying to rip your clothing off..are you? 

Of course, you could just rip a really big fart.....
Reply/Quote