Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How Important are the Bengals to You ?
I guess what I'm wanting to say is how invested are you emotionally to the Bengals and their successes and failures? When you reflect on your life's day-to-day activities, how much of a priority are the Bengals? How much time do you do you spend reading, watching, following news about the club? How hard do you take it when the team loses? Can you easily move on from a big loss or does it linger for days or even weeks? How do the Bengals' success compare to other things in your life that you appreciate and enjoy?

From the time I was a young kid growing up in SE KY, the Reds were my favorite sports team. I grew up watching the BRM and almost never missed listening to a game. I spent more time following the Reds than anything else in my life. I still love the Reds but the present ownership has dimmed my interest. That, plus baseball is just a damned mess right now.

The first NFL team I rooted for was the Oakland Raiders( Dayrle Lamonica, Fred Bilitnikoff, Dave Casper, George Blanda, Ray Guy) , mostly because Rodger Bird, from my hometown here in Corbin , was a starter in their defensive backfield. I thought it was so cool watching a guy who starred at my local high school playing for the Raiders. I became a Bengal fan in 1975 and have been a fan ever since.

The only time I ever cried at a loss in a sporting event was after the Montana to Taylor TD with :34 seconds left in Superbowl XXIII . I didn't cry last year (possibly because I'm 60 now, instead of 26) but the loss still stung. I thought about that game several times a day for at least a couple of weeks afterwards. I thought we were the better team coming in and I certainly felt like we were the better team afterwards.

During the latter Marvin years, I kinda detached myself , emotionally , from the Bengals. I still watched the games and rooted for wins but I didn't allow the inevitable crazy losses affect me like they used to. Now, I'm back to being pretty invested emotionally again, with this current roster and a ownership that seems invested in winning.

What about you? How much do you allow yourself to be invested in this team and this franchise? Loving a sports team can offer some incredible highs(think of last postseason) but can run the risk of some terrible, gutwrenching depressions. The Bengals are now my favorite sports team(even over UK basketball, which is getting more and more painful to watch by the game). Kentucky just loss to UCLA and it barely registers an emotion for me. If the Bengals lose to the Bucs tomorrow, I will probably think about it most of the week.

How important are the Bengals in your day-to-day life? How would they rank in your life's activities?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
I look forward to Sundays and the Bengals! I am not about to jump off a cliff when they lose or if Zac is perceived to call a bad play. I find I enjoy the day a lot more.
Reply/Quote
I'm from the same area as you. I grew up listening to EddieMilner, Gary Redus, Ron Oester, Cesar Cedeno, etc as my first memories of Reds Players.

Picked up the Bengals a couple years later. I survived the embarrassment and disinterest of the 90s. I remember being bummed in 88. Thought we had it, I attended my first NFL game that season against the Redskins. Riverfront was rocking. All the highs and lows of the Marvin Lewis tenure I became more interested.  The 2015 season wildcard meltdown really kinda numbed me to the team. I've just been enjoying watching them again, win or lose. These guys are fun to watch and easy to cheer for, but I pretty much stay even keeled. The lone exception was the Germain Pratt interception in the wildcard game. Not gonna lie, it brought a tear to my eye, and a huge exhale.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have been a die hard Reds and Bengals fan for as long as I can remember (at least 40+ years) and I just want to see a SuperBowl win.
I admit, it ruins me and my son's day when the Bengals lose. I think if the Bengals could just seal the deal one time and have one great SuperBowl season to remember I could finally relax and enjoy the games without being so emotionally invested.
Luckily I think we have the team to do it finally.
Reply/Quote
To paraphrase Tommy: fairly important Mellow

In season I'm out here most if not every day. I listen to 1530 for an hour or two most afternoons, where they are a constant topic, and I tune in to the Bengals-specific shows on 1530 and 700. I read about them in the paper and try to listen to GMF to see if they're being discussed. I was a STH for two-plus decades, but stepped away after last season. I like discussing them here and with family, friends, and on occasion complete strangers when I'm out and about. On game day I'm front and center before the tv, with the game on the stereo and with the gameday thread on my laptop. I'm bummed when they lose and happy when they win. Of all the teams I root for, they are probably at the top of the list.

Hope that answers the question.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 01:08 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: To paraphrase Tommy:  fairly important  Mellow

In season I'm out here most if not every day.  I listen to 1530 for an hour or two most afternoons, where they are a constant topic, and I tune in to the Bengals-specific shows on 1530 and 700.  I read about them in the paper and try to listen to GMF to see if they're being discussed.  I was a STH for two-plus decades, but stepped away after last season.  I like discussing them here and with family, friends, and on occasion complete strangers when I'm out and about.  On game day I'm front and center before the tv, with the game on the stereo and with the gameday thread on my laptop. I'm bummed when they lose and happy when they win.  Of all the teams I root for, they are probably at the top of the list.  

Seconded.
Reply/Quote
Been a Bengals fan as long as I can remember through the thick and thin. Watched them with my Dad since 68 but really but only really remember watching with him and really recollect the players from the late 70's on. Then in 1991 my father and I bought season tickets per both being Bengals fans and him living in Middletown/Germantown area of Ohio and me in Louisville. So it was a perfect fit and a good meeting spot as well. Kept them for 30 years and just gave them up, but unfortunately was only able to attend with my father for 23 of those years before he died.

We always got together about 10-15 times a year on holidays and such anyway, but those Bengals games gave me an extra 230 times together with him before he passed. Those are precious to me and still feel as though I still watch the Bengals with him to this day.

You could say that the Bengals are in my heart and soul.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Good stuff, guys. Keep it coming. I'm enjoying reading.

By the way, in addition to Rodger Bird with the Raiders, there is also Steve Bird, his nephew, who I went to school with. Steve helped Eastern Ky. University to a couple of I-AA national titles back in '79 and '82 and went on to play for the Cardinals, Giants, and Chargers. Also, Trent Taylor, our PR/WR grew up here as well. I remember watching him play flag football here in Corbin as a kid.

For those interested in a really good sports read, there is a book which was written by Gary P. West called "The Boys from Corbin: America's Greatest Little Sports Town, " which details all of the athletes from this small town who went on to play professional sports in the NFL and NBA. For those who don't know, Roy Kidd, the longtime head coach at EKU , and one of the winningest coaches in college football history, also grew up here.
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
It doesn't matter to me at all. I think my wife's crazy when she says it dictates my mood for the following week as to whether the Bengals win or lose.
Reply/Quote
I read a statistic once about how domestic abuse incidents increase here in Kentucky when the Cats lose a big basketball game. I wonder if that's true of die-hard Bengal fans when the team loses a big game. Some UK fans may be just a little too much invested in Big Blue.
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote
They are my second favourite sports franchise (after the Jays) and I'm always scouring for news from Wednesday-Sunday (or Monday), during the season, while I only really closely monitor in the offseason, during big-time events (draft build-up, FA, TC, etc.). I get a GREAT deal of satisfaction when they win, but I no longer get angry and pissed off when there is a loss, unless it is a stupid game... and then it is out of my system by the next day

I even yell less at the TV (If you ask my wife, I don't, but I can assure you that I don't anymore), while I am still salty about the Jays and their bad calls they get... so I guess my heart is still with baseball! (as it always was)

But yes, Bengals are super important and always will be <3
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 02:29 AM)Science Friction Wrote: I read a statistic once about how domestic abuse incidents increase here in Kentucky when the Cats lose a big basketball game. I wonder if that's true of die-hard Bengal fans when the team loses a big game. Some UK fans may be just a little too much invested in Big Blue.

That's messed the hell all the way up.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
I try to be, and am, less invested than I used to be. Sometimes the weirdness of being emotionally tied to something you have nothing to do with and no part in kind of makes me feel stupid. But then I don’t want to miss the high of a Super Bowl win if it happens so I ignore that part of my brain.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I to was a Reds fanatic before I became a Bengals fan. But I grew up in the 70's Big Red Machine era when baseball was still a big deal. I ate, slept, walked, talked baseball back then. My late father was a big Bengals and Buckeyes fan and I slowly picked up football as well.

I've mellowed quite a bit in my emotional investment in all sports as I've grown older. But it still matters to me.
Reply/Quote
I'm enjoying this team more than years past with maybe the exception of the Icky Woods era..I sold him a cable TV package years ago back when one could still earn a living with door to door sales..
Anyway..Pardon me sir. I represent the Acme cable TV company of WallaWalla Washington. Can I interest you in some crap TV for the low, low price of too damned much? 
I don't get too high or too low. If they win, great. If they lose, Oh well..I don't take any of it personally. I've yet to think any one player or coach intentionally lost the game to spite me and me alone. It's just a game played primarily by millionaires ..Bread and circuses.. It's a distraction from the ordinary crap in our lives. So what there's a major war on the European continent and the world is becoming completely rewired to a new world order (for real this time) teetering on the brink of nuclear war and we're going to spend over 800 BILLION on defense this year alone.. ? The Bengals are a good team finally and that's all that matters..  Who Dey
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 02:29 AM)Science Friction Wrote: I read a statistic once about how domestic abuse incidents increase here in Kentucky when the Cats lose a big basketball game. I wonder if that's true of die-hard Bengal fans when the team loses a big game. Some UK fans may be just a little too much invested in Big Blue.

Having policed for several decades in Lexington, I can tell you that is a fact. Wildcats fans are messed up. They're worse than Stealers fans, as their whole lives seem to tied to the success of a basketball team with little to no players from Kentucky on it. ANd the vast majority didn't go to school there.

As for the Bengals, I look forward to Sunday, and enjoy the wins. I find myself pissed for about 15 minutes after a loss, then I'm on to something else. I spend a lot of time on this board, but it's mostly because I'm bored at work when there isn't much going on. I consider myself a huge fan, but my life and self worth is not tied to the success of the team like some damn stealer fan.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 10:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've mellowed quite a bit in my emotional investment in all sports as I've grown older. But it still matters to me.

Well said! 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 10:59 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: ...I've mellowed quite a bit in my emotional investment in all sports as I've grown older. But it still matters to me.

This.  This describes me, as well.

I was born in Cincinnati, so being a fan of the Reds and Bengals is all I've ever known.  (Strangely, I was never really "aware" of college football until I had lived in PA for many years, so I'm actually a Penn State fan.)

I REMEMBER how upset I used to get after a big loss, and how ELATED I was after a huge win, and while I still get upset and excited... the extremes are much less extreme.  :)
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2022, 01:08 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: To paraphrase Tommy:  fairly important  Mellow

In season I'm out here most if not every day.  I listen to 1530 for an hour or two most afternoons, where they are a constant topic, and I tune in to the Bengals-specific shows on 1530 and 700.  I read about them in the paper and try to listen to GMF to see if they're being discussed.  I was a STH for two-plus decades, but stepped away after last season.  I like discussing them here and with family, friends, and on occasion complete strangers when I'm out and about.  On game day I'm front and center before the tv, with the game on the stereo and with the gameday thread on my laptop. I'm bummed when they lose and happy when they win.  Of all the teams I root for, they are probably at the top of the list.  

Pretty much sums it up for me. Except instead of the radio it's usually podcasts since I live out of town. Don't discuss them as much with random strangers since they wouldn't care much but do talk about them with family and friends. 
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2022, 10:47 PM)Science Friction Wrote: I guess what I'm wanting to say is how invested are you emotionally to the Bengals and their successes and failures?  When you reflect on your life's day-to-day activities, how much of a priority are the Bengals?  How much time do you do you spend reading, watching, following news about the club?  How hard do you take it when the team loses?  Can you easily move on from a big loss or does it linger for days or even weeks?   How do the Bengals' success compare to other things in your life that you appreciate and enjoy?

From the time I was a young kid growing up in SE KY, the Reds were my favorite sports team. I grew up watching the BRM and almost never missed listening to a game. I spent more time following the Reds than anything else in my life. I still love the Reds but the present ownership has dimmed my interest. That, plus baseball is just a damned mess right now.

The first NFL team I rooted for was the Oakland Raiders( Dayrle Lamonica, Fred Bilitnikoff, Dave Casper,  George Blanda, Ray Guy) , mostly because Rodger Bird, from my hometown here in Corbin , was a starter in their defensive backfield.  I thought it was so cool watching a guy who starred at my local high school playing for the Raiders.  I became a Bengal fan in 1975  and have been a fan ever since.

The only time I ever cried at a loss  in a sporting event was after the Montana to Taylor TD with :34 seconds left in Superbowl XXIII .  I didn't cry last year (possibly because I'm 60 now, instead of 26) but the loss still stung. I thought about that game several times a day for at least a couple of weeks afterwards. I thought we were the better team coming in and I certainly felt like we were the better team afterwards.

During the latter Marvin years, I kinda detached myself , emotionally , from the Bengals.  I still watched the games and rooted for wins but I didn't allow the inevitable crazy losses affect me like they used to.  Now, I'm back to being pretty invested emotionally again, with this current roster and a ownership that seems invested in winning.  

What about you?  How much do you allow yourself to be invested in this team and this franchise? Loving a sports team can offer some incredible highs(think of last postseason) but can run the risk of some terrible, gutwrenching depressions.  The Bengals are now my favorite sports team(even over UK basketball, which is getting more and more painful to watch by the game). Kentucky just loss to UCLA and it barely registers an emotion for me.  If the Bengals lose to the Bucs tomorrow, I will probably think about it most of the  week.

How important are  the Bengals in your day-to-day life?  How would they rank in your life's activities?

Same as you...I grew up a huge reds fan in the 80's.  I couldnt have cared less about the bengals.  In fact, I cant recall a single moment of bengals football until game 1 of 1988.  I had watched other NFL games but not the bengals. for some reason that I cant even recall  And then 1988 happened.... my interest in the reds waned to the point now where I cant even name 2 or 3 current reds but Ive been watching the bengals ever since.  

I used to let a bengals loss ruin my week but now I get over it pretty quickly.  I was bummed about LA last season but by two hours after the SB ended, I was pretty much over it.  
Reply/Quote