Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Is Jonah Doing at RT?
This article lays it out pretty well:

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-five-on-film-jonah-williams-passes-first-test-at-right-tackle/

Seems like he’s playing well and getting good reps in. He’s going to need to step up this year so I think it’s worth really watching how he progresses playing RT. It’s a contract year as well for him so he should be very well motivated.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
If he is successful at RT, he is setting himself for a very nice paycheck when he hits free agency. To be able to provide quality reps at both tackles makes him extremely valuable.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:38 AM)pally Wrote: If he is successful at RT, he is setting himself for a very nice paycheck when he hits free agency.  To be able to provide quality reps at both tackles makes him extremely valuable.

If he is successful at RT, would we let him walk?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:44 AM)sandwedge Wrote: If he is successful at RT, would we let him walk?

I’m not sure if we would have the resources in that situation to bring him back and also not sure if he’d want to. I really think he wants to play LT somewhere.

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:44 AM)sandwedge Wrote: If he is successful at RT, would we let him walk?

That is an expensive question. If he does well of course the goal would be to keep him.  The problem is can we afford to keep him

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
He looks like he put on some weight and he seemed to play well last night. We won't know until a real game but im pretty confident he will be at least an average RT for us. Which is great.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
I'm impressed with Jonah. Hope he does good this year and gets a nice paycheck elsewhere to play LT.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
We are going to find out how good Jonah is the very first game. Myles Garrett can play both the left and right side so expect Jonah to go up against him a few times.
Reply/Quote

I don't see a way that he's not walking. Even if somehow we are able to pay him top RT money he's going to be looking for a LT job. IF he can't find a LT job somewhere then we'll have to out bid other teams for the RT spot, which I don't even think we can do that. We'll definitely need to look for a RT of the future here soon, unless we can somehow keep Jonah. All of this is assuming he's a solid RT too, which isn't that far of a stretch.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:47 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: I’m not sure if we would have the resources in that situation to bring him back and also not sure if he’d want to. I really think he wants to play LT somewhere.

I understand that, but RT has been a turnstile for last 8-9 years. Someday that position is gonna have to be solidified. Who knows, maybe Collins was off last season with his bad back ...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:20 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I understand that, but RT has been a turnstile for last 8-9 years. Someday that position is gonna have to be solidified. Who knows, maybe Collins was off last season with his bad back ...

Jonah won’t take that Collins deal so i think the idea is to pray Collins is good in 2024.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:18 AM)chrisball96 Wrote: This article lays it out pretty well:

https://atozsports.com/cincinnati/bengals-five-on-film-jonah-williams-passes-first-test-at-right-tackle/

Seems like he’s playing well and getting good reps in. He’s going to need to step up this year so I think it’s worth really watching how he progresses playing RT. It’s a contract year as well for him so he should be very well motivated.

Jonah looked alright against the Falcons from what I saw. He sure wasn't God awful like Carman was against the Packers.

Hope both play great this year, but Carman certainly looks like a LT as others have said. Good thing the next Draft is deep at OT so we 
can add a pure RT for the future. If Jonah does play great we won't be able to afford him with Burrow's extension and others coming up.

That is why I was hoping so much for Carman to be the answer at RT but that seems out of the question.

As Housh said, have to also hope La'el heals up and plays decent at RT for us. Doubt Jonah stays healthy all season.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 08:54 PM)Housh Wrote: Jonah won’t take that Collins deal so i think the idea is to pray Collins is good in 2024.
I hope he does!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 10:27 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Jonah looked alright against the Falcons from what I saw. He sure wasn't God awful like Carman was against the Packers.

Hope both play great this year, but Carman certainly looks like a LT as others have said. Good thing the next Draft is deep at OT so we 
can add a pure RT for the future. If Jonah does play great we won't be able to afford him with Burrow's extension and others coming up.

That is why I was hoping so much for Carman to be the answer at RT but that seems out of the question.

As Housh said, have to also hope La'el heals up and plays decent at RT for us. Doubt Jonah stays healthy all season.

Jonah’s health is always a question mark, completely agree with you there. That is why I also wanted Carman to be a reliable option as a backup there. I think we are going to be good at RT this year barring injury but if one does happen again we are relying on Collins who is also coming back from a major injury. I know you can’t have amazing backups at every position but this one has just got me concerned.

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
Sure hope Jonah does well at RT for the teams sake. After watching Carman vs ATL Friday he isn't the answer at either T spots. 2 plays he was beat easily by 2nd stringers I'd assume because it was 3 qt. One play he watched his man head right for Jake standing there with his hands on his hips and the other time he helped Jake up off the ground like, sorry about that man. He just seems to be a step or two slow to me, that or he is just out maneuvered by a more athletic rusher.

Asking Tackles to stop or slow down these more athletic edge rushers or Linebackers is a tough ask. These LB and DE are faster, more athletic and seem more  muscle developed to me. Yea, they are lighter in weight but they make up for it in athleticism, muscle and speed.
Reply/Quote
If Jonah has a good year at RT, we likely get a 3rd round comp. We could also franchise him and kick the van down the road, or tag and trade. Obviously if he is average he walks and we probably get a 5-7 comp,
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 07:40 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We are going to find out how good Jonah is the very first game.  Myles Garrett can play both the left and right side so expect Jonah to go up against him a few times.

I fully expect Garrett to line up at LE more than usual week 1. 
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2023, 11:10 AM)pally Wrote: That is an expensive question. If he does well of course the goal would be to keep him.  The problem is can we afford to keep him

I think he will leave to play LT somewhere (ironically, like Orlando Brown); but, I think they are paying him around 12 million this year and Collins 7 million.  They could cut Collins after this season and pay Jonah, say, 15 million, draft a backup RT or sign a serviceable backup free agent and not really spend any more on the position.  I'm not sure that is best use of cap space, but if Jonah is a really good RT, the Bengals might be able to make it work financially.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think it has more to do with his knees being healthy right now than anything. In other words, you're seeing 2021 Jonah and not 2022 Jonah with knee issues.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2023, 02:21 AM)BRM13 Wrote: I think he will leave to play LT somewhere (ironically, like Orlando Brown); but, I think they are paying him around 12 million this year and Collins 7 million.  They could cut Collins after this season and pay Jonah, say, 15 million, draft a backup RT or sign a serviceable backup free agent and not really spend any more on the position.  I'm not sure that is best use of cap space, but if Jonah is a really good RT, the Bengals might be able to make it work financially.

When was the last time the Bengals had two actually good, reliable OTs?
Probably not since 2006 with Whit and Willie, right?

I'd rather pay OL than almost any other position besides QB.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote