Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Is Jonah Doing at RT?
(08-22-2023, 05:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I do not think Carman has been THAT bad in pre-season. Better than Ford, for sure. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the final roster. Of the reserves, he's the best run blocker. I'd rather have a guy who can olay one oisition than a guy who stinks at two. 

Starters + Carman & Scharping. Those are the gimmees. That's 7. 

I'd go with Hill & Adeniji next. Was hoping for a Brown/Kirkland breakout, but that hasn't happened yet. 

I'd keep only 9, Collins on PUP. The 10th OL is always inactive, sometimes #9 as well. If I did keep 10, it would be Smith. 

Ford to PS if he agrees. But I am fine with Brown/Kirkland/Gilliam if not. Smith would be our only PS worthy tackle & he could get claimed, so a risk there. 

Nice post, I agree Carman made me feel a lot better against the Falcons and he is a good run blocker, can be a great run 
blocker at times, he will make the roster. Just wanted to see him be better in pass protection than he has been and be doing
it at RT so our future is more bright, but it is what it is and he is really good depth at LT.

Scharping showing he can play Center and do it well makes for sure he makes the roster. Adeniji Just seems to keep hanging
around and he has been okay this preseason. Was also hoping Kirkland would play better, but he is young and we can put him
on the PS along with Brown. 

Not a fan of what I have seen of Ford and if he hasn't shown anything by now he probably never will. 

I would cut Ford.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 05:34 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I do not think Carman has been THAT bad in pre-season. Better than Ford, for sure. I'd be shocked if he isn't on the final roster. Of the reserves, he's the best run blocker. I'd rather have a guy who can olay one oisition than a guy who stinks at two. 

Starters + Carman & Scharping. Those are the gimmees. That's 7. 

I'd go with Hill & Adeniji next. Was hoping for a Brown/Kirkland breakout, but that hasn't happened yet. 

I'd keep only 9, Collins on PUP. The 10th OL is always inactive, sometimes #9 as well. If I did keep 10, it would be Smith. 

Ford to PS if he agrees. But I am fine with Brown/Kirkland/Gilliam if not. Smith would be our only PS worthy tackle & he could get claimed, so a risk there. 

Carman just looks bad on the right side of the line no matter if he is playing RG or RT.  When Carman has played LT and LG, he has looked much better.  Keep him on the left side.  He could be a valuable backup at both the LG and LT positions while he continues learning.

Adeniji looked OK last year at RT against mediocre competition.  He struggled big time against good defenses but right now, I think he is probably the best #2 RT until Collins gets healthy.  I dont think we have any better options as Jonah's backup at the moment

Scharping was horrible in the playoffs last year.  He looks so-so in the preseason so far.  Im not sure what to do with him.   He is supposed to be the backup RG but after last year, Im not sure I want him at RG.  I dont know about using him at center either.   I would be inclined to have Hill as the backup center.  I know Gilliam can play center and RG but we havent seen enough of him so Gilliam goes to the PS.

D'Ante Smith looks good at times, not so good other times.  I would rather have Carman as the backup LT

Practice squad I would send Brown, Kirkland and Gilliam unless one of them have a breakout final preseason game.  I would cut Ford but he will probably be kept at least on the practice squad because he is Orlando Brown's buddy which I think is the only reason he was signed to begin with.  Ford is the absolute worst of the guys we have on the O-line.  
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 06:25 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Carman just looks bad on the right side of the line no matter if he is playing RG or RT.  When Carman has played LT and LG, he has looked much better.  Keep him on the left side.  He could be a valuable backup at both the LG and LT positions while he continues learning.

Adeniji looked OK last year at RT against mediocre competition.  He struggled big time against good defenses but right now, I think he is probably the best #2 RT until Collins gets healthy.  I dont think we have any better options as Jonah's backup at the moment

Scharping was horrible in the playoffs last year.  He looks so-so in the preseason so far.  Im not sure what to do with him.   He is supposed to be the backup RG but after last year, Im not sure I want him at RG.  I dont know about using him at center either.   I would be inclined to have Hill as the backup center.  I know Gilliam can play center and RG but we havent seen enough of him so Gilliam goes to the PS.

D'Ante Smith looks good at times, not so good other times.  I would rather have Carman as the backup LT

Practice squad I would send Brown, Kirkland and Gilliam unless one of them have a breakout final preseason game.  I would cut Ford but he will probably be kept at least on the practice squad because he is Orlando Brown's buddy which I think is the only reason he was signed to begin with.  Ford is the absolute worst of the guys we have on the O-line.  

Adeniji is an OT only though, he is no Guard. Don't want to see them putting Adeniji at Guard again.

Gilliam looked bad in the last game when I watched him. Could be right with Ford lol
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 06:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adeniji is an OT only though, he is no Guard. Don't want to see them putting Adeniji at Guard again.

Gilliam looked bad in the last game when I watched him. Could be right with Ford lol

You are right.  No Adeniji at guard.  None of us want to see that.  Im not a fan of using him at RT either but I think he is the best option until Collins is healthy so we need to roll with what we got.

At RG is Scharping the only option we have?  Because if he has to come in, I would hate to see that happen after the way he played last year.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 06:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Adeniji is an OT only though, he is no Guard. Don't want to see them putting Adeniji at Guard again.

Agree on Adeniji. He's OT/left side only.
He's been mangled on the right side in actual real games.

I have such a dislike for Adeniji's performance that I probably am unfairly harsh on him.
I'd almost rather just roll with however Smith performs since at least he's more of an unknown over Adeniji.
I realize that's risky though because he might actually be worse. Scary if true though.

From what I've seen and read up to this point, my OL would be...

Before Collins comes back:
LT - Brown, Carman
LG - Volson, Scharping
C - Karras, Hill (backup RG)
RG - Cappa
RT - Williams, Smith/Adeniji

Once Collins comes back, he takes the backup RT spot and bumps off Smith/Adeniji/Carman.

I'll tell ya, Bengals just can't find anyone for the right side when it comes to depth, other than Collins.
I don't feel comfortable with any of Carman, Scharping, Smith, or Adeniji playing on the right side.
We really gotta hope Cappa stays healthy this whole year. That spot has probably the worst depth among the entire OL.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 06:42 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: You are right.  No Adeniji at guard.  None of us want to see that.  Im not a fan of using him at RT either but I think he is the best option until Collins is healthy so we need to roll with what we got.

At RG is Scharping the only option we have?  Because if he has to come in, I would hate to see that happen after the way he played last year.

Yeah, Adeniji has no anchor and just gets bullied at Guard, he can make up for no anchor at OT with his athleticism. Have to keep 
him as Tackle insurance dang it all. Scharping is more of a LG than a RG but at least he can play there and showing he can play Center
has made him valuable.

RG has no depth if Cappa goes down.Freakout

(08-22-2023, 06:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Agree on Adeniji. He's OT/left side only.
He's been mangled on the right side in actual real games.

I have such a dislike for Adeniji's performance that I probably am unfairly harsh on him.
I'd almost rather just roll with however Smith performs since at least he's more of an unknown over Adeniji.
I realize that's risky though because he might actually be worse. Scary if true though.

From what I've seen and read up to this point, my OL would be...

Before Collins comes back:
LT - Brown, Carman
LG - Volson, Scharping
C - Karras, Hill (backup RG)
RG - Cappa
RT - Williams, Smith/Adeniji

Once Collins comes back, he takes the backup RT spot and bumps off Smith/Adeniji/Carman.

I'll tell ya, Bengals just can't find anyone for the right side when it comes to depth, other than Collins.
I don't feel comfortable with any of Carman, Scharping, Smith, or Adeniji playing on the right side.
We really gotta hope Cappa stays healthy this whole year. That spot has probably the worst depth among the entire OL.

Great post. I am the same way with Adeniji, I might be unfairly harsh on the guy because he has sucked so bad in the postseason.

The thing about D'Ante Smith is he flashes some good stuff once in a while and then does something bad, but at least he flashes 
some good and I would want that over a guy who just gets bullied all the time. Hence why I like Carman, if he sucks, it isn't from 
being bullied, it is in his head or it is speed that beats him.

So true on the right side, have to hope Cappa stays healthy. He is our one good guy at RG. Thank God Jonah has shown he can 
play RT or we would be in a bad spot. Ford might actually sneak onto the team because he CAN play RG, even if he doesn't play 
it well lol
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 11:56 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I had hoped that after Carnan's performance in the POs, that he was gonna make a leap. That looks less & less likely. Counting on Carman for 2024 would be be foolish. Have to hold onto Collins. A top end OT being there in the late 20s seems VERY unlikely (though we could always move up). If we land a price RT prospect, then, MAYBE, think about trading Collins. But not before.

Maybe Carman makes a leap. Maybe Smith does.

I think Carman is a better LT backup compared to RT or guard.  He seems to have better feet going from that side at least
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2023, 07:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, Adeniji has no anchor and just gets bullied at Guard, he can make up for no anchor at OT with his athleticism. Have to keep 
him as Tackle insurance dang it all. Scharping is more of a LG than a RG but at least he can play there and showing he can play Center
has made him valuable.

RG has no depth if Cappa goes down.Freakout

Great post. I am the same way with Adeniji, I might be unfairly harsh on the guy because he has sucked so bad in the postseason.

The thing about D'Ante Smith is he flashes some good stuff once in a while and then does something bad, but at least he flashes 
some good and I would want that over a guy who just gets bullied all the time. Hence why I like Carman, if he sucks, it isn't from 
being bullied, it is in his head or it is speed that beats him.

So true on the right side, have to hope Cappa stays healthy. He is our one good guy at RG. Thank God Jonah has shown he can 
play RT or we would be in a bad spot. Ford might actually sneak onto the team because he CAN play RG, even if he doesn't play 
it well lol

I hate to be the guy, but Ford really isn't better than Adeniji at RG.
Honestly, out of the two, I'd take Adeniji over Ford right now.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-21-2023, 04:36 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Even in 2021 he still gave up 8 sacks which put him at #6 in sacks allowed.

Yep, he wasn't great, for sure, but he was better than last year.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I hate to be the guy, but Ford really isn't better than Adeniji at RG.
Honestly, out of the two, I'd take Adeniji over Ford right now.

Even at Guard? Man, that is rough lol
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2023, 04:50 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Even at Guard? Man, that is rough lol

Ford had been atrocious at guard in the NFL.
His best position had been RT, of which he's only played limited snaps.

Ford really should be considered a RT and true emergency-no-one-else-available guard only.

My only reason for optimism with Ford was maybe he was decent at RT. I didn't see him really a feasible option to playing any other position.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote