Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Are Content With Bengals LBs As Is Going Into Draft
Yes or No

I am a NO.....I am not content with Bengals linebackers. Those who say we are solid and don't need any help here, I just don't see how they can say that. I have considered LB a weak area on Bengals for years and going from Harrison to Hawk to Dansby to Minter doesn't change that even with this yearly revolving door we have lost talented LB's and we never draft a top LB. To think Burfict can be a one man wrecking crew is silly. I don't see us ever getting that play-off win until we upgrade linebacker to play-off win status. One of the best players in the draft is Foster at LB. I don't care about all this MAC, SAM, WILL, Outside Linebacker, Middle Linebacker, Pass Rush Linebacker stuff. The way I see it, we need help, period, and Best Available Athlete at LB should be able to upgrade our Linebackers no matter what tag put on him. Coach him up, get him on the field and let him hit people. I'm hoping for the LSU RB or LB Thursday, but D Line would be OK. If we don't get a LB in round one or at least early in two, we have missed our chance to upgrade a weak area.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
LB is the least important position on defense if you have one good one and 2 other decentish ones. Defensive line will always need to be beefed up much more and linebackers manage to look much better
Reply/Quote
Super Bowl teams seem to prove otherwise. Most Super Bowl winners are rock solid at LB across the board and are not of the opinion it is the least important position on the team. When good teams run the ball right up the Bengals rear end and we can't do one thing to stop it, well, that is our linebackers just not good enough. The great NFL teams have had great linebackers. There is a monster of a run stopper some say Bengals will draft. Others say no. I would love to see Bengals be able to stop Steelers RB and all RBs, instead of just getting plowed over by the better teams in NFL. A defense where we can see good teams on schedule and say we don't care because we have the D to stop them. That to me means not just getting by at LB or thinking it is not an important position. We have Atkins and Dulap on D Line. We have talent at DB. Our weakness on D is at LB and I sure hope it's not by design thinking teams don't need linebackers. Seems to me the teams that WIN have linebackers.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:26 PM)kevin Wrote: Yes or No

I am a NO.....I am not content with Bengals linebackers. Those who say we are solid and don't need any help here, I just don't see how they can say that.  I have considered LB a weak area on Bengals for years and going from Harrison to Hawk to Dansby to Minter doesn't change that even with this yearly revolving door we have lost talented LB's and we never draft a top LB.  To think Burfict can be a one man wrecking crew is silly.  I don't see us ever getting that play-off win until we upgrade linebacker to play-off win status.

I'm content with what we currently have.  Burfict is in a contract year, so he should show up in shape and have a good year playing for what should be his last chance at a big contract.  Minter is a solid starter and captain of one of the league's best defenses and is in his prime.  Dawson and Vigil are both 2nd day draft picks, and Vigil looked good in his limited PT as a rookie.  Vinnie Rey is a decent backup/spot starter.  Losing Dansby and Maualuga was addition by subtraction.

Given the fact that Minter and Burfict are in contract years, I am not opposed to taking a LB early if there is a value at the position.  I'd be ok with Hassan Reddick at 9 because between his pass rush, cover skills, and athletic ability,he's the perfect nickel LB.  Foster was insanely overrated before his injury, character, and drug concerns raised their heads.  I had him as a late 1st/early 2nd before his downward spiral, but now I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd.  I'd be very happy with Bowser, Davis, Cunningham, or McMillan in the 3rd. 

Reality is, LB is not at a premium for a 4-3 defense, and on top of that, we are in nickel defense well over 50% of the time, which means only two of them on the field.  Yes, we could upgrade, but we would get better results upgrading other positions.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:30 PM)eoxyod Wrote: LB is the least important position on defense if you have one good one and 2 other decentish ones. Defensive line will always need to be beefed up much more and linebackers manage to look much better

Agreed. Burfict + Minter is a solid combo. SLB isn't used much. Vigil was a 3rd round pick just last year, so I'd give him some time, he should be decent at least.

Aside from that, I think our depth is okay. I'm just fine with what we have. D-line is the only area on defense that I want to see addressed at all.

This needs to be an offensive focused draft.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:46 PM)kevin Wrote: Super Bowl teams seem to prove otherwise. Most Super Bowl winners are rock solid at LB across the board and are not of the opinion it is the least important position on the team. When good teams run the ball right up the Bengals rear end and we can't do one thing to stop it, well, that is our linebackers just not good enough.  The great NFL teams have had great linebackers. There is a monster of a run stopper some say Bengals will draft. Others say no.  I would love to see Bengals be able to stop Steelers RB and all RBs, instead of just getting plowed over by the better teams in NFL.  A defense where we can see good teams on schedule and say we don't care because we have the D to stop them.  That to me means not just getting by at LB or thinking it is not an important position. We have Atkins and Dulap on D Line. We have talent at DB. Our weakness on D is at LB and I sure hope it's not by design thinking teams don't need linebackers. Seems to me the teams that WIN have linebackers.

All 4 members of New England's starting secondary had more tackles than their top LB.  
Reply/Quote
We have the best non pass rushing LB in the NFL, a good all around LB I. V Rey, two recent third Rd LBers in Dawson and virgil, and we just signed Minter. Is it the Panthers LB core no but it's good enough. We need Line help.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:59 PM)Whatever Wrote: I'm content with what we currently have.  Burfict is in a contract year, so he should show up in shape and have a good year playing for what should be his last chance at a big contract.  Minter is a solid starter and captain of one of the league's best defenses and is in his prime.  Dawson and Vigil are both 2nd day draft picks, and Vigil looked good in his limited PT as a rookie.  Vinnie Rey is a decent backup/spot starter.  Losing Dansby and Maualuga was addition by subtraction.

Given the fact that Minter and Burfict are in contract years, I am not opposed to taking a LB early if there is a value at the position.  I'd be ok with Hassan Reddick at 9 because between his pass rush, cover skills, and athletic ability,he's the perfect nickel LB.  Foster was insanely overrated before his injury, character, and drug concerns raised their heads.  I had him as a late 1st/early 2nd before his downward spiral, but now I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd.  I'd be very happy with Bowser, Davis, Cunningham, or McMillan in the 3rd. 

Reality is, LB is not at a premium for a 4-3 defense, and on top of that, we are in nickel defense well over 50% of the time, which means only two of them on the field.  Yes, we could upgrade, but we would get better results upgrading other positions.

You beat me to it - yes, losing Maualuga was addition by subtraction.

(04-23-2017, 05:02 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Agreed. Burfict + Minter is a solid combo. SLB isn't used much. Vigil was a 3rd round pick just last year, so I'd give him some time, he should be decent at least.

Aside from that, I think our depth is okay. I'm just fine with what we have. D-line is the only area on defense that I want to see addressed at all.

This needs to be an offensive focused draft.

Agreed, I'd like to see a couple D-linemen, maybe a late DB, but outside of that I want basically all O in the draft. We've got to get better in the redzone, better at rushing the ball, better at blocking, nearly everything really.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:30 PM)eoxyod Wrote: LB is the least important position on defense if you have one good one and 2 other decentish ones. Defensive line will always need to be beefed up much more and linebackers manage to look much better

This is how I feel as well.
Reply/Quote
I'm not content about our linebacker situation but when you got Vinny Rey that's able to play all 3 spots if needed ,,I just don't think we need one in the top of the draft.Vigil is ready to make his mark as well.I wouldn't take a linebacker till the comp picks starts kicking in in the 3rd round.Defensive line has and will always make the linebackers appear better than they are.
Reply/Quote
You can't rely on Burfict to play 16 games, Minter is on a 1 year deal, and the run defense has shown to take an enormous step back when Burfict is out (or fat).

So I would like to see a 4th round LB added. Unless you want to pick up Jabrill Peppers in the 2nd and just play him as a S/LB hybrid.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I really like the Bengals at LB.

They typically only play with 2 LBs on the field at once as they go Nickel or 5-2 most of the time.

Most NFL teams run a 3-4 where the LBs get a lot of the glory. The Bengals LBs are there for dirty work.

Burfict & Minter will probably play most downs.

Vigil would be the 3rd guy.

With Rey, Flowers, and (WTF is up with this guy???) Dawson all being capable of backing up and teams play.

With the above group, I don't see where a LB as a high pick fits in.

I like the idea of the Peppers kid OR, if they wanted to add a Safety like Jamal Adams? But, frankly, with the 4 S on the team now, they are under contracts or relatively young. Adams talent and character are just through the roof and some sites have him rated as the #2 pick talent wise behind Garrett in the entire draft. Tough to pass on him if he falls.
Reply/Quote
I'm fine with our current LB's. Add McMillan,Beckwith, or my personal favorite Bowser and that corps is solid.Minter is very solid at his position.
Reply/Quote
I'm in the camp that believes our LB situation is not critical enough to be our top two concerns - DL and a damned running game. Then there's the question: Are we really going to be okay with the OL ??? (not that this draft will give us much help at tackle)

If a backer is taken in the upper half of the draft, that says there's a concern with somebody in the group, or he's a definite upgrade over those behind Burfict or Minter.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 08:56 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: I'm in the camp that believes our LB situation is not critical enough to be our top two concerns - DL and a damned running game. Then there's the question: Are we really going to be okay with the OL ??? (not that this draft will give us much help at tackle)

If a backer is taken in the upper half of the draft, that says there's a concern with somebody in the group, or he's a definite upgrade over those behind Burfict or Minter.

Equally important to me are....

RB, WR, DE

I think that with Green turning 29 before the season, Hill being Hill, and Dunlap not having anything explosive on the other side of him the Bengals need to get guys in their system to step in in 2018 and 2019. Unless they find some rookie who will come in guns a blazing - and, lets face it, the head coach typically takes a while to make them earn their way onto the field - anyone drafted in 2017 is going to be a minor role player this season.
Reply/Quote
I'm not exactly excited about the linebacking group. On the surface it's in good shape, but our defense seems slow and clunky at times, and it would be nice to have a solid, consistent, on the field every game linebacker. Would I take one in the first? No, absolutely not. But if there's value later on I'd take a shot. I just worry that never year we'll have Vigil and Dawson and not much else, because unless it's at a discount, I'd rather not re-sign Burfict even though he's talented. He just misses too much time.
Reply/Quote
(04-23-2017, 04:26 PM)kevin Wrote: Yes or No

I am a NO.....I am not content with Bengals linebackers. Those who say we are solid and don't need any help here, I just don't see how they can say that.  I have considered LB a weak area on Bengals for years and going from Harrison to Hawk to Dansby to Minter doesn't change that even with this yearly revolving door we have lost talented LB's and we never draft a top LB.  To think Burfict can be a one man wrecking crew is silly.  I don't see us ever getting that play-off win until we upgrade linebacker to play-off win status.  One of the best players in the draft is Foster at LB.  I don't care about all this MAC, SAM, WILL,  Outside Linebacker, Middle Linebacker, Pass Rush Linebacker stuff.  The way I see it, we need help, period, and Best Available Athlete at LB should be able to upgrade or Linebackers no matter what tag put on him.  Coach him up, get him on the field and let him hit people.  I'm hoping for the LSU RB or LB Thursday, but D Line would be OK.  If we don't get a LB in round one and also not early in two, we have missed our chance to upgrade a weak area.

Minter is way better than Hawk or Dansby... he is a total upgrade.. so we have improved at LB... Rey is a solid backup.. and Virgil showed some signs that he can play in the NFL.. but with Minter on a 1 year with Burfict unknowns and contract coming up.. I do see LB as a priority but I don;t see anyone now #9 to pick a LB.. Foster way too many red flags to pick him at #9.  Defense line is more of a need. 
Reply/Quote
Here's my definitive take on the Bengals LB situation. The way the Bengals play or use positions leaves me to believe the (non-QB) spots where they will get the most production/splash plays are - in no particular order...

DLine
RB
WR
TE
CB

^ The above spots are the positions where the Bengals play to strengths as units. The LBs getting an INT or FF something is a bonus. They usually are there just to make tackles and buy the DLine time with adequate coverage.

This is way different hatn a 3-4 team where the DLine is there to take up space while the LBs fly around and make splash plays.
Reply/Quote
I'm not content with the linebackers on the Cincinnati roster but I know who is:

Every quarterback and tight end in the league...
Reply/Quote
You have to wonder what's going on with PJ Dawson. He had a ton of talent out of the draft then the Bengals waive him out of nowhere...then sign him to the practice squad.

There's opportunity there for him to take a spot...but does he get it?
Reply/Quote