Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Many Are Content With Bengals LBs As Is Going Into Draft
(04-25-2017, 12:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: You raise some really good points and some stuff I disagree with.

1. The concussions were and I guess still are a concern...but I feel better about Burfict's health after last year, and it seems like concussions were only a problem for one year. Outside of that year, it has been a non-issue. I'm starting to think it was a blip on the radar there. I was also encouraged last year by Burfict toning down the dirty play. Tbh, I think the main issue for Burfict was hurting Steelers players. The league wouldn't stand for that. Other than 2015, the league has left Burfict alone. He just can't be taking out the 3 B's...clean hits or not.

2. I think Burfict's dirty reputation will help us with contract negotiations to an extent. Plus even though I do think Burfict is capable of staying healthy, I'm sure teams will look at how he missed 22 games over the last 3 seasons. At the very least, you have to admit that Burfict wasn't able to prove himself any further over that span. If anything, his stock has gone down a bit since he signed that very reasonable 4 year/19 million contract. Obviously he's not going to sign for that exact number again, but I think his next contract will be remain fair and make it easy for the Bengals to retain him. Plus the dude looks at Marv like a father figure. I think he loves being a Bengal.

3. You seem unimpressed by Vigil and Dawson (both 3rd round picks), but you want a 4th rounder for insurance? I just don't get that. Vigil and Dawson haven't had much opportunity to play yet with the guys ahead of them and how the Bengals use LB's...so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss those guys. Now do I want both of those guys in the starting lineup next year? Probably not, but I don't see how a 4th rounder will make you feel any safer about 2018. 

4. I'd like to see a slightly slimmer Burfict, but I think you're at least slightly overstating that problem. I don't think Burfict is going to eat his way out of the league. For all we know, that's the weight coaches wanted him at. Marv has always liked his LB's big for some reason. He's living in the past there, IMO.

The reasons I say we should roll with what we have are:

(a) It's more likely than not that we'll be able to retain both Burfict and Minter with reasonable offers.
(b) drafting a 1st round LB likely means we automatically let go of at least one of these guys. Maybe Burfict. No thanks.
[c) I'm okay with drafting a 4th rounder, but with our draft history with LB's, I see that as an inconsequential move.
(d) Even if by some nightmare scenario we lose both Burfict and Minter, this team has never been shy about signing a FA LB or 2. They're much cheaper than FA o-linemen.

TL/DR: I don't mind drafting a LB in the mid-rounds, but I don't think it's going to make losing Burfict and/or Minter sting any less...should that happen.

1. Did you forget the fact that he missed Week 16 & 17 with a concussion last year? Also agree with the Steelers being protected by the league. Can't huge Rog's best buds.

2. Maybe, but as for your last bit about Marvin, keep in mind he's in his contract year as of right now. If there is a God that exists, hopefully it will be his last year as HC. That does remove that element for Burfict. I just see some mediocre players getting huge contracts the last two offseasons as the cap raises. Ivory for 5yr/$32m, Sanu for 5yr/$32.5m, Olivier Vernon 5yr/$85m... heck, I liked Gresham, but he's certainly not worth the 4yr/$28m he just got.

3. Buy enough lottery tickets and eventually one of them will be a winner? Right? ....Right?   Cry

4. Burfict and Maualuga were both held out of early on-field drills last offseason because they were out of shape. Then once Burfict came back from his suspension he was out of shape again. He looked bigger and way slower, took about 2-3 weeks after his suspension before he looked like himself again. The fact that he was held out of practice in the preseason due to weight/conditioning tells me it isn't the weight he was wanted at.

- - - -

I agree with your TL/DR. The 4th rounder is basically just my hope and a prayer that maybe they strike gold. Lord knows they are due after so much bad luck with Rivers, Maualuga, Moch, Dawson, etc.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The way the cap is rising and the fact that a bunch of teams have 50+ million in cap space will mean that someone would go after Burfict raising his value.

You just know that the Browns will try to sign him.
Reply/Quote
Not content, but also do not want to spend a top pick on a LB.
Reply/Quote
Seeing more & more mocks predicting Foster for us
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Vontaze
Minter
Vigil
Rey
Dawson
Flowers

What's this new backer gonna do? I mean I'd take one late but no thanks on early on. Burflict, Minter, Vigil, and Rey can all hold it down and we have two young guys with potential in Dawson and Flowers.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 08:37 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Vontaze
Minter
Vigil
Rey
Dawson
Flowers

What's this new backer gonna do?  I mean I'd take one late but no thanks on early on. Burflict, Minter, Vigil, and Rey can all hold it down and we have two young guys with potential in Dawson and Flowers.

Damn, i even forgot about ole Paul Dawson.

Me like.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:31 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Damn, i even forgot about ole Paul Dawson.

Me like.

Dawson and Flowers aren't going to amount to anything. Let's just let that pass on by.
Reply/Quote
LB and Safety are the same for me.... for years I would have loved to seen a blue chip, round 1 or 2 draft pick on someone who is a potential stud as we traditionally 'make do' with either retreads or mid / late round guys.

However the reality is either due to draft/cap strategy - or maybe just our 4-3 scheme - that we just favour steady, disciplined players who allow the 'edge' players to make the splash plays and can also contribute on special teams.

That said when we do stumble upon a pro bowl quality safety or LB (Tez, Reggie N) they stand out and can make significant , game changing type contributions ....and we also noticeably miss them when they are not there.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 10:47 AM)sonofstat Wrote: LB and Safety are the same for me....  for years I would have loved to seen a blue chip, round 1 or 2 draft pick on someone who is a potential stud as we traditionally 'make do' with either retreads or mid / late round guys.

However the reality is either due to draft/cap strategy - or maybe just our 4-3 scheme - that we just favour steady, disciplined players who allow the 'edge' players to make the splash plays and can also contribute on special teams.

That said when we do stumble upon a pro bowl quality safety or LB (Tez, Reggie N) they stand out and can make significant , game changing type contributions ....and we also noticeably miss them when they are not there.

It took me a while to get used to the idea of having a line and CBs that does the lion's share of the work and safeties/LBers that are more about containing against the worst. But it is what it is. We don't have big plays coming from those positions because the defense is set up that way.
Reply/Quote
Theoretically, IF the Bengals added Foster and could get Minter and Burfict signed long-term...they could use some 3-4 in spots to get Vigil/Rey on the field more.

I'm not talking total switch...but they could play a hybrid defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Theoretically, IF the Bengals added Foster and could get Minter and Burfict signed long-term...they could use some 3-4 in spots to get Vigil/Rey on the field more.

It would definitely give us more flexibility. Even if we don't get Foster, if we can get a good athletic backer like Davis, or Cunningham, or Anzalone/Watt/Beigel it would really help.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 01:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I would like Beigel in the 4th. Good run stopper and he can cover. Makes plays.

I watched a handful of Badger games this last season and Biegel was everywhere making plays.  He and Boulware from Clemson are 2 players later in the draft that I wouldn't mind taking a shot at. Both are not top athletes but are just footballers that just do their jobs.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 11:58 PM)eoxyod Wrote: Dawson and Flowers aren't going to amount to anything. Let's just let that pass on by.

I have definately been very disappointed in Dawson but Flowers is a great athlete.

These guys could still be solid depth. I don't just generalize and act like a player will never amount to anything.

Of course they are under Haslett, so you could be right.

(04-26-2017, 12:01 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I watched a handful of Badger games this last season and Biegel was everywhere making plays.  He and Boulware from Clemson are 2 players later in the draft that I wouldn't mind taking a shot at. Both are not top athletes but are just footballers that just do their jobs.

Saw the same thing last year, really like Biegel, i think he would be a very solid grab.

Of course TJ Watt was the player that really stood out on that Defense but he will be gone by the mid 2nd from all accounts.

I don't know if i am ready to take a hybrid LB that early unless it is Hassan Reddick who i think will be a star in the NFL.

Wouldn't mind Reddick at 9 actually.

Nice eye on Boulware, like that guy a lot too in the mid to late rounds.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 08:37 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Vontaze
Minter
Vigil
Rey
Dawson
Flowers

What's this new backer gonna do?  I mean I'd take one late but no thanks on early on. Burflict, Minter, Vigil, and Rey can all hold it down and we have two young guys with potential in Dawson and Flowers.

To me this is what is "holding back" the Bengals.  It's not just LBs but across the board at several positions. Sure the guys you listed are good to solid players, with the exception of Burfict being a beast but why don't we upgrade positions when we get a chance? I'd rather have 2 beast and a good LB than 1 beast and 2 good LBs...This thinking of keeping adequate players because they know system isn't winning right now. I understand you can't have pro bowlers at every position.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:42 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Theoretically, IF the Bengals added Foster and could get Minter and Burfict signed long-term...they could use some 3-4 in spots to get Vigil/Rey on the field more.

Problem with that is, none of those guys can hold the edge or rush the passer good enough to make it work.  
Reply/Quote