Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Marvin Lewis bungled his message to the players
(12-22-2017, 12:29 AM)jowczarski Wrote: @oncemoreuntothejimbreech – the one year deals aren’t votes of no confidence. They are mutually agreed upon deals by both parties.

Nothing says I want you around for the long haul like a one year contract. One year contracts are pretty much the norm when it comes to coaches. In any sport. At any level.

Meanwhile, my DIRECTV contract is for two years. They like me as a customer and want to keep me.
Reply/Quote
Seems like it would be advantageous for Marvin to get the word out early, that he’ll be on the market.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:38 PM)depthchart Wrote: One article said the Bengals Front Office was caught by surprise at what Lewis said and that they may have expected Lewis to possibly enter into contract negotiations after the season to remain as Head Coach.

If the above is true, then the ball was in Lewis' court as whether to return or not.

Lewis may have back peddled from his comments because he wants to keep the option of him returning on the table.

Maybe he said to much or said which way he was Leaning, however, he is still indecisive about what he is really going to do.

Possibly trying to keep all of his options in place by back peddling and calling the story untrue ?

That just shows how delusional Mike Brown and this front office are. For them to be surprised that Marvin might leave is hilarious. For the front office to want this coaching staff back the way the season has gone shows they don't care about winning at all.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Marvin has never seemed like the vindictive type, but more and more it's beginning to feel like it as if he's so utterly upset with the front office and the Brown family he's decided to stick it to them and take every free agent with him when he leaves. That's happened before in sports and I can see it happening here. 
I think Marvin is intelligent enough to understand the fans are always going to pin blame on the manager or in this case the head coach and at the same time knows that he's earned respect around the league. The question is has he burned both bridges and left himself hanging in the breeze over the rushing torrent of water completely unemployable? 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 10:44 AM)grampahol Wrote: The question is has he burned both bridges and left himself hanging in the breeze over the rushing torrent of water completely unemployable? 

He may have, but as we've seen with players who leave the Bengals on lousy terms there seems to be a pervasive "Normally we wouldn't condone your actions, but you were trying to get away from Mike Brown, so we understand" feeling in the NFL.  It's not like the Patriots or Cardinals signed Dillon/Palmer with clauses that allowed them to get out of the deals on the chance they immediately decided to go flip burgers or retire immediately.

Mavin's agent probably leaked this so they could judge interest while Marvin could half-assedly deny it and if Mike Brown cared to run a real NFL franchise he'd have Paul Geunther as the HC for the last few games.  Nope, rather than do that Mike Brown was shocked to hear a guy who looks like he's dead inside might want to leave.  This is interesting stuff, I tells ya.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 10:28 AM)BengalChris Wrote: That just shows how delusional Mike Brown and this front office are. For them to be surprised that Marvin might leave is hilarious. For the front office to want this coaching staff back the way the season has gone shows they don't care about winning at all.

This tells me something else also.

Mike Brown expecting to enter contract negotiations with Marvin after this season and then being "surprised" that Marvin may be moving on after hearing Schefter's report tells me that Mike Brown has thought very little about who may replace Marvin.

We are all hoping for a Major shakeup or Big change to a New Head Coach that may be outside the Box. Someone who changes the "Culture".

Mike Brown being surprised that Marvin may not even negotiate this offseason means Mike's Vision about a successor is very Limited. So limited that he still wants Marvin, so don't expect a Major Culture Changing next Head Coach.

Mike isn't looking past Marvin yet, is surprised by the report and may look at whoever is closest to his nose for the next hire, meaning an In House candidate.

No way Mike is thinking Big or Culture changing if he still planned on negotiating with Marvin.

Buckle up for a Marvin return or (Jay Gruden or Hue Jackson if fired) or an In House promotion.

Culture will likely remain very similar.
Reply/Quote
I disagree, I think by being surprised, they really mean the FO was surprised it was leaked.
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 02:08 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I disagree, I think by being surprised, they really mean the FO was surprised it was leaked.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/20/how-cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-bungled-his-message/970439001/

It wasn't the Leak that they were surprised about.

Once in the Link above go down to another link starting with "Cincinnati Bengals caught in the dark..."

It clearly says in the 1st paragraph in that second Link that the Front Office was first hearing that Marvin may not enter into contract negotiations after the season.
Reply/Quote
I wonder how safe it would be to predict that IF Marvin returns next season there will be no sold out games unless by some miracle they come right out and dominate the first half of the season..
Of course that ain't happening, but I can imagine him back again to empty seats and the only lines in town will be people standing in line to throw trash.. And, Oh yeah.. The ads and commercials telling us they're kicking off the next 50 years with a bash! Rah.....rah.......and uhhhhh....rah.. 

I wonder if there's a business opportunity selling trash throwing tickets..  Never overlook a real opportunity..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I can't wait until all this mess is behind us. This is a disaster that keeps on giving. I don't understand why he went into another year, if he was going to half ass it and bail.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 05:53 PM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: I can't wait until all this mess is behind us. This is a disaster that keeps on giving. I don't understand why he went into another year, if he was going to half ass it and bail.

That is where the anger at Marv comes from, he has totally half assed this season.

Unacceptable at any level as a Coach.
Reply/Quote
Interesting theory about Lewis leaking his plans to schefter. Using the news as leverage to get a new deal. I doubt that is the case however.

Marvin must realize the vast majority of this fanbase wants him gone. Surely he must realize that leaking this kind of info would alienate them even more. Mike can't possibly bring him back now. It would be twice as disastrous as it was in January 2010.

If Marv is for some god awful reason brought back, I would hope 90% of Bengal fans won't attend a single home game next year. Make Mike's wallet suffer. He'll definitely make a change if any of his precious $$$ (even money from tickets) is compromised.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:55 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: The part where Dennard discusses that Marvin has had one foot out the door since he arrived is pretty alarming.

Speculation about the coach leaving for the past 4 years?! Most likely longer???

Not sure how you guys feel about it, but I think that would put a major cloud over the team....

What a weird place to work.
I thought that notion was pretty obvious since training camp. His lackadaisical approach to this entire season has been sickening. The whole Ross thing, benching Mixon for the second half of the first steeler game, more emotionless Primetime collapses. Never has the man ever been more infuriating. 

(12-22-2017, 06:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is where the anger at Marv comes from, he has totally half assed this season.

Unacceptable at any level as a Coach.

Exactly
Reply/Quote
(12-22-2017, 01:49 PM)depthchart Wrote: This tells me something else also.

Mike Brown expecting to enter contract negotiations with Marvin after this season and then being "surprised" that Marvin may be moving on after hearing Schefter's report tells me that Mike Brown has thought very little about who may replace Marvin.

We are all hoping for a Major shakeup or Big change to a New Head Coach that may be outside the Box. Someone who changes the "Culture".

Mike Brown being surprised that Marvin may not even negotiate this offseason means Mike's Vision about a successor is very Limited. So limited that he still wants Marvin, so don't expect a Major Culture Changing next Head Coach.

Mike isn't looking past Marvin yet, is surprised by the report and may look at whoever is closest to his nose for the next hire, meaning an In House candidate.

No way Mike is thinking Big or Culture changing if he still planned on negotiating with Marvin.

Buckle up for a Marvin return or (Jay Gruden or Hue Jackson if fired) or an In House promotion.

Culture will likely remain very similar.

Mike Brown's vision of the future has to be a blurry mess.

Reply/Quote
This would never happen to the Steelers
Reply/Quote