Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Marvin Lewis bungled his message to the players
If players are fond and respect their coach, they win 'em for their coach and get motivated to win them all "for the coach", if anything else.
This doesn't appear to be happening overall and may be a sign as to why we are in the condition we are in now. Dick Vermeil was a coach that comes to mind where you could tell the players really played for the man.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In Marvin's defense, many of us here can probably relate to the lack of enthusiasm we had going into, and progressing along with this season.  We had a feeling our personnel moves, and lack thereof, made this off-season put this team behind the eight ball if it didn't outright sink things before snap #1.

If Marvin Lewis spent this season acting enthused and peppy I'd either be annoyed at him for being so fake, or demand a "random" drug screening be done on him.  Basically, which HC's can you think of that wouldn't look dead inside following a 6-9-1 season by letting the o-line get worse and then spending a top 10 pick on yet another WR.  I'm no Marvin fan and this team is DOA right now, but I can't blame the guy for not looking like the Chesire Cat all year.

My point is I don't believe a coach who looks so uninterested in this team is interested in coming back next season.
Reply/Quote
Whole bunch of ungrateful people around these boards. I'm not saying we have to worship the ground Marvin walks on, but (largely due to my age)almost none of my pre-Marvin Bengals memories are any good.

Yes it is time for a change, but lets at least take the high road as he leaves regardless of public speculation and perception.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:58 PM)Nately120 Wrote: In Marvin's defense, many of us here can probably relate to the lack of enthusiasm we had going into, and progressing along with this season.  We had a feeling our personnel moves, and lack thereof, made this off-season put this team behind the eight ball if it didn't outright sink things before snap #1.

If Marvin Lewis spent this season acting enthused and peppy I'd either be annoyed at him for being so fake, or demand a "random" drug screening be done on him.  Basically, which HC's can you think of that wouldn't look dead inside following a 6-9-1 season by letting the o-line get worse and then spending a top 10 pick on yet another WR.  I'm no Marvin fan and this team is DOA right now, but I can't blame the guy for not looking like the Chesire Cat all year.

Lotta truth in that.....

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 12:36 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Marvin received a 2 year deal in 2011. In 2012, he got a two year extension to that contract, which signed him through 2014. In 2013, he got a one year extension through 2015. In 2015, he signed an extension through 2016. I 2016, he signed an extension through this year. Basically, his original 2011 contract has be extended 4 times.

IMO, very good arguments can be made that the 2011 contract and the last 2 extensions weren't even warranted, but unfortunately Mike, Katie and the crew disagreed.

Thanks for looking it up for me. Marvin didn't motivate me to do it myself.

So basically three consecutive lame duck seasons instead of four. That's a vote of no confidence in each other on both Mike's and Marvin's part in each other. It's like two parents staying together for the "sake of the kids" because they are too scared to go ahead and get the inevitable divorce when it is obvious the marriage is over.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, how dare anybody be upset with a guy being paid millions for not doing his job?  Shame on everyone.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:24 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Whole bunch of ungrateful people around these boards. I'm not saying we have to worship the ground Marvin walks on, but (largely due to my age)almost none of my pre-Marvin Bengals memories are any good.

Yes it is time for a change, but lets at least take the high road as he leaves regardless of public speculation and perception.

The same high road Marvin took during that press conference when he was a jerk to the reporters again while lying to all of us?

Maybe it is because of my age, but I remember a time the Bengals' owner wasn't so complacent about winning.
Reply/Quote
[Image: challenge_flag.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The part where Dennard discusses that Marvin has had one foot out the door since he arrived is pretty alarming.

Speculation about the coach leaving for the past 4 years?! Most likely longer???

Not sure how you guys feel about it, but I think that would put a major cloud over the team....

What a weird place to work.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:47 PM)Takedown Wrote: Hey Merv., don't let the door hit you on the way out! What a piece of s***. I don't think Marvin has always been this slimy, but damn. Can't even tell your own players that you're leaving town before ESPN handed you a few Benjamin's to spill the beans to them first? F*** YOU. And the whole Ross thing: Selfish... I hope JR proves a lot of doubters wrong next year and makes Marvin look even more of an a**. BYE!!!

First off i want to say thanks to Jim O for the article which was something i never thought i would of heard here.

What you say Takedown here is the way if feel to a T, you just said it with more enthusiasm lol

Never been angry with Marvin before and he really burnt any bridge he might have in the future. He definately is not
coming back here and this could of taken him off of a lot of teams thoughts as a DC or even Linebacker coach somewhere
else. This was handled with no class and the lack of respect he gave to his players is downright dishonorable.

Only 2 games left of this clown thank God.

(12-20-2017, 07:41 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Good article, Jim, thanks.

That said, I have to say I disagree with that bit at the end that Marvin will be the "most successful coach in franchise history". When the Bengals inevitably lose out (the last two weeks have shown zero sign that they won't), Marvin will be exactly 2 games over .500 overall (123-121-3) with a HORRIBLE primetime record, HORRIBLE Steelers record, and the worst ever postseason record in NFL history. His team also always looked ill-prepared against good teams, and halftime adjustments were mere journalistic jargon, despite other teams crushing his with them. That is hardly the most successful when you finish 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins in 15 years.

Sam Wyche and Forrest Gregg are still more successful coaches than Marvin Lewis. Both took the Bengals to a SB (their only two) and account for all 5 of the franchise's postseason wins.  Gregg finished 7 over .500 (34-27). Wyche might have finished 4 under .500 overall (64-68), but would you prefer 4 under .500 and a SB apperance, or 2 over .500 and 0 postseason wins?

Completely agree and well said. A new coach in one year could come in here and be more successful than Marv...

All he has to do is win ONE DAMN PLAYOFF GAME! :andy:

(12-20-2017, 08:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: He is considered the "most successful" because he has the most wins. He has the most wins because Mike tolerated his mediocrity for far too long because Mike makes the decision making process of a snail seem hurried.

You ask Bengals' fan which coach would they prefer between Paul Brown, Sam Wyche, Forrest Gregg, or Marvin Lewis and Marvin finishes last.

Yeah with that many chances and this many talented players it is no surprise he has the most wins.

You are right, he finishes behind all those guys.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2017, 06:09 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Strong words here from A.J. Green and basically, no one believes the head coach after that PR fiasco on Sunday and Monday.
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2017/12/20/how-cincinnati-bengals-head-coach-marvin-lewis-bungled-his-message/970439001/

Im so sick of hearing bungled. Its bad enough that the media uses synonymously  with Bengals without hearing our own people do it.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:16 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Im so sick of hearing bungled. Its bad enough that the media uses synonymously  with Bengals without hearing our own people do it.

[Image: LMNY_Gurdjieff_2048x.jpg?v=1493691803]

^^^^^Son of Paul needs to take a pointer.....that term was never uttered until his reign of terror ensued.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:31 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: [Image: LMNY_Gurdjieff_2048x.jpg?v=1493691803]

^^^^^Son of Paul needs to take a pointer.....that term was never uttered until his reign of terror ensued.

Reign of terror

LOL

He's murdered a lot of hopes and dreams in addition to killing a career or twenty-two.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:38 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: The same high road Marvin took during that press conference when he was a jerk to the reporters again while lying to all of us?

Maybe it is because of my age, but I remember a time the Bengals' owner wasn't so complacent about winning.

Maybe it is because of my age and how I was raised but I don't understand why people think that someone else behaving poorly is carte blanche for the crap we can find in this thread. 

Maybe this is why Bengals teams/fans have the reputation we do. 

Stay classy, Bengals fans.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:49 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Maybe it is because of my age and how I was raised but I don't understand why people think that someone else behaving poorly is carte blanche for the crap we can find in this thread. 

Maybe this is why Bengals teams/fans have the reputation we do. 

Stay classy, Bengals fans.

I've read exactly ONE comment out of 54 that could be considered classless. Or 1.85% of the comments. So would you like to point out the classless crap of others behaving poorly to which you're referring?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 02:16 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Im so sick of hearing bungled. Its bad enough that the media uses synonymously  with Bengals without hearing our own people do it.

Unfortunately - in this particular instance - with how it's been handled, the word is extremely fitting. 
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2017, 01:24 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Whole bunch of ungrateful people around these boards. I'm not saying we have to worship the ground Marvin walks on, but (largely due to my age)almost none of my pre-Marvin Bengals memories are any good.

yeah, I said the exact same thing when they raked an entire county over the coals to only piss on the ashes!

But we won't go there.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Make AJ Green mad...
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
He will be back, we all know this and are just hoping it's not true but he will sign on for another season...... God I hope i'm wrong
Reply/Quote
@Sled21 & @masonbengalsfan– he won’t be a GM here. I doubt he’s a “GM” anywhere, to be honest.

@Benton – not a bad theory. Marvin isn’t dumb. He knows there are buttons to push. There’s a reason he told me at the Senior Bowl he wanted an extension. He knows how it works. That said, I really don’t think he wanted it to come out when they were on a team bus going to a game. Then again, once you let that cat out of the bag, you can’t control when a professional scoop trader like Schefter will break it.

@oncemoreuntothejimbreech – the one year deals aren’t votes of no confidence. They are mutually agreed upon deals by both parties.

@Nate – thanks!

@bengalhoel – I don’t write the headlines. Sorry?
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote