Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How NYT Celebrates Apollo 11 50th Anniversary

Stay classy NYT. 50th anniversary of America's (and probably Humanity's) greatest achievement... and they run a equality piece about how Russians won the space race for equality because they sent women and minorities into space first.

Just some gross "journalism".

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(07-22-2019, 03:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

Stay classy NYT. 50th anniversary of America's (and probably Humanity's) greatest achievement... and they run a equality piece about how Russians won the space race for equality because they sent women and minorities into space first.

Oh no!  Did they tweet about a story that talks about other things?!?!

We should boycott!   Ninja 

Seriously though...did they carry a story about the moon landing too?  Because unless they ignored it just to talk about other countries I'm not sure what you are going for here.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Cool article. Never knew the USSR was hung up on trying to appear morally superior to the US with regards to sex and racial equality.

Not sure this is a communist worship piece as I've seen several conservative outlets label it to be, but we should always be willing to critically analyze our own history, even when it makes us uncomfortable.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Nevermind...I looked myself.

btw, they tweeted a link to that at least three times...

And they post what seems like 100 links to stories over a single day...
(07-22-2019, 03:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Cool article. Never knew the USSR was hung up on trying to appear morally superior to the US with regards to sex and racial equality.

Not sure this is a communist worship piece as I've seen several conservative outlets label it to be, but we should always be willing to critically analyze our own history, even when it makes us uncomfortable.

Really?  This is the first I heard of it.

That's what I get for actually doing work today instead of looking outside my own bubble.   Ninja
(07-22-2019, 03:53 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Cool article. Never knew the USSR was hung up on trying to appear morally superior to the US with regards to sex and racial equality.

I don't see it as communist worship, but I do question the need to include this completely unrelated information in a story about the greatest accomplishment in human history.  While it's not exactly the same thing it's analogous to running a story on the anniversary of 9/11 and then pointing out how US foreign policy in the Middle East helped precipitate it.  While both sets of facts are true, including them in an anniversary story comes off as awfully gauche to me.  It certainly won't do anything but reinforce the perception of the NYT's as a liberal mouthpiece to those already inclined in that direction.
(07-22-2019, 04:11 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't see it as communist worship, but I do question the need to include this completely unrelated information in a story about the greatest accomplishment in human history.  While it's not exactly the same thing it's analogous to running a story on the anniversary of 9/11 and then pointing out how US foreign policy in the Middle East helped precipitate it.  While both sets of facts are true, including them in an anniversary story comes off as awfully gauche to me.  It certainly won't do anything but reinforce the perception of the NYT's as a liberal mouthpiece to those already inclined in that direction.

I completely disagree with comparing this to 9/11. I think that's an absurd comparison even qualified as "analogous". I think it's comparable to the Smithsonian writing articles on how Canada views their "wins" against the US during the War of 1812 on the 200th anniversary of the war. 

The moon landing signifies winning the space race. This article points to another milestone the Soviets sought to win before the Americans. If I am going to write about this, I would write about it when people are going to be most interested. It's not disrespectful. It shouldn't be seen as disparaging of the US. 

(07-22-2019, 04:19 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I completely disagree with comparing this to 9/11. I think that's an absurd comparison even qualified as "analogous". I think it's comparable to the Smithsonian writing articles on how Canada views their "wins" against the US during the War of 1812 on the 200th anniversary of the war.

Why, because one is a tragedy, and thus likely to provoke a more visceral response, and the other is an accomplishment?   

Quote:The moon landing signifies winning the space race. This article points to another milestone the Soviets sought to win before the Americans. If I am going to write about this, I would write about it when people are going to be most interested. It's not disrespectful. It shouldn't be seen as disparaging of the US. 

What milestone is this the USSR was trying to "achieve", racial equality?  I don't know that their record in that regard is one to be lauded.  Racial division being a very hot topic right now the inclusion of this information in an article on the moon landing really seems like an attempt to diminish the accomplishment and point out flaws in the US during a moment in which the US should be celebrated for this herculean task.  How about toasting a couple on their 30th wedding anniversary and mentioning the time thirteen years ago when the husband cheated?  You're still talking about their relationship, right?

I don't think we're going to agree on this one, I think that information being included is done in poor taste.
(07-22-2019, 03:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:

One has to ask themselves why the NYT chose this occasion to post such an article. It's either:

A. To commend the Soviets on their Human Rights advances

B. To take away for the US's accomplishment

I really cannot think of another reason for the article.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-22-2019, 06:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Why, because one is a tragedy, and thus likely to provoke a more visceral response, and the other is an accomplishment?   

What milestone is this the USSR was trying to "achieve", racial equality?  I don't know that their record in that regard is one to be lauded.  Racial division being a very hot topic right now the inclusion of this information in an article on the moon landing really seems like an attempt to diminish the accomplishment and point out flaws in the US during a moment in which the US should be celebrated for this herculean task.  How about toasting a couple on their 30th wedding anniversary and mentioning the time thirteen years ago when the husband cheated?  You're still talking about their relationship, right?

I don't think we're going to agree on this one, I think that information being included is done in poor taste.

Yes, I think the difference between a tragedy and an accomplishment matters. As to the merits of the Soviets declaring a win, whether or not they had the standing to do so should not determine whether or not we can or should discuss it. 

Like I said before, and I add my professional weight to this, we shouldn't be afraid to discuss history that makes us uncomfortable, no matter the emotional reaction it rightfully or wrongfully evokes. 

(07-22-2019, 09:08 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yes, I think the difference between a tragedy and an accomplishment matters. As to the merits of the Soviets declaring a win, whether or not they had the standing to do so should not determine whether or not we can or should discuss it. 

Like I said before, and I add my professional weight to this, we shouldn't be afraid to discuss history that makes us uncomfortable, no matter the emotional reaction it rightfully or wrongfully evokes. 

I have zero issue with discussing the topic.  I have zero issue discussing history.  I think the fact that that the USSR put women or other ethnicities in space before the US did is something to discuss.  Bringing it up on the anniversary of the moon landing is tacky as hell.  Quite honestly, I'd bet huge money that if Obama, or honestly anyone but Trump, was POTUS right now they wouldn't have included it. 
(07-22-2019, 09:19 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I have zero issue with discussing the topic.  I have zero issue discussing history.  I think the fact that that the USSR put women or other ethnicities in space before the US did is something to discuss.  Bringing it up on the anniversary of the moon landing is tacky as hell.  Quite honestly, I'd bet huge money that if Obama, or honestly anyone but Trump, was POTUS right now they wouldn't have included it. 

I have no doubt that the current atmosphere regarding race and gender equality played a role in their belief that the story was relevant and worth telling. 

(07-22-2019, 09:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I have no doubt that the current atmosphere regarding race and gender equality played a role in their belief that the story was relevant and worth telling. 

Maybe that.  Also they tweeted links to at least 30 articles that day.  Two had to do with the Moon landing.  The US interactive story was the only one referred to more than once (three times).  The had article on a wide range of subjects on Saturday.

That someone is set off because there was a second story about the space race on the 50th anniversary of the landing points to people looking to be offended and the randomness we humans have with assigning "important" numbers to things.  If they ran the same article on the 49th or 51st would it have triggered people?  Probably not.
(07-23-2019, 08:50 AM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe that.  Also they tweeted links to at least 30 articles that day.  Two had to do with the Moon landing.  The US interactive story was the only one referred to more than once (three times).  The had article on a wide range of subjects on Saturday.

That someone is set off because there was a second story about the space race on the 50th anniversary of the landing points to people looking to be offended and the randomness we humans have with assigning "important" numbers to things.  If they ran the same article on the 49th or 51st would it have triggered people?  Probably not.

Finding something inappropriate is not being triggered.  
(07-23-2019, 11:41 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Finding something inappropriate is not being triggered.  

Finding it inappropriate is...given all the other information about what was posted and printed that same day.
(07-23-2019, 12:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: Finding it inappropriate is...given all the other information about what was posted and printed that same day.

In your opinion.  The opinions of others differ, as explained above.  I don't think lauding a transparent attempt by an odious autocratic regime to paint itself as egalitarian is particularly honest, regardless of the day it's done.  
(07-23-2019, 12:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: In your opinion.  The opinions of others differ, as explained above.  I don't think lauding a transparent attempt by an odious autocratic regime to paint itself as egalitarian is particularly honest, regardless of the day it's done.  

That is a separate point from the OP:

(07-22-2019, 03:42 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Stay classy NYT. 50th anniversary of America's (and probably Humanity's) greatest achievement... and they run a equality piece about how Russians won the space race for equality because they sent women and minorities into space first.

(07-23-2019, 12:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: That is a separate point from the OP:

Yes, being able to read English I caught that.  I said it would be dishonest regardless of the day it was done.  This does not preclude the concept that it would be more so if published on the day we celebrate mankind's greatest achievement to date.
(07-23-2019, 12:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Yes, being able to read English I caught that.  I said it would be dishonest regardless of the day it was done.  This does not preclude the concept that it would be more so if published on the day we celebrate mankind's greatest achievement to date.

Given that you are arguing that the article should not have been published at all and I was making the point that the OP's disdain that it was published on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing I'm not sure why your ability to read your native language is pertinent to the discussion.

In fact I never responded to you that your premise was wrong, misguided or a result of being triggered.  Thanks.
(07-23-2019, 12:46 PM)GMDino Wrote: Given that you are arguing that the article should not have been published at all and I was making the point that the OP's disdain that it was published on the 50th anniversary of the moon landing I'm not sure why your ability to read your native language is pertinent to the discussion.

In fact I never responded to you that your premise was wrong, misguided or a result of being triggered.  Thanks.
Pretty sure SSF's point is the article celebrating an industry (Russia's space program and it's National policies on Human Rights) than does not deserve to be celebrated on any day of the year. The fact that it was celebrated on the 50th Anniversary of our moon landing just makes celebrating it more odious.

personally, IDC what and when they run, as I'm a fan of free enterprise and I think the market will bare. But it doesn't stop those from taking issue with the content and timing of the article. As I said I can only think of two reasons for doing it on such as day:

A. To applaud the diversity in the Russian Space Program
B. To throw shade at our accomplishment of the day of celebration

if you have a 3rd let me know or else select on of the 2 provided.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]