Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Steelers prepare for Bengals vs How Bengals prepare for Steelers
Marvin and the coaches are preaching ho hum, just another game, no big deal. No different then any other game.

While the Steelers coaches are preaching the Bengals are out to ruin their Christmas. Gulp.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21599312/pittsburgh-steelers-qb-ben-roethlisberger-focused-cincinnati-bengals-not-new-england-patriots

Steelers are going to come and destroy the ho hum Bengals. How is the urgency higher for a 9-2 team then it is for a 5-6 team?

Bengals walking into a massacre and don't even realize the team they are facing has come to fight for their livelihoods.

Marvin can no longer beat the Steelers, or prepare the team to beat them and it will be the deciding factor ending his era here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
I agree with the coaches and Iloka here. If you get all worked up over the Big Bad Steelers coming to town and all you can think about is hitting the snot out of them, then I will tell you are not focused on what you should be doing. Playing football!! We cannot get caught up in the media over hype of this is a "blood bath" and all the the other bulletin board fodder.
Reply/Quote
Fine. Bring a knife to a gun fight. We've seen how that works for us.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: Fine. Bring a knife to a gun fight. We've seen how that works for us.

Or we could do what usually happens, get baited, lose our minds and get stupid penalties that cost us points or the game.... Just relax and play the game. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin and the coaches are preaching ho hum, just another game, no big deal. No different then any other game. 
While there is something to be said for this approach, I think it's this very reason why Merv can't win in the playoffs or prime time. You'd think after not winning a playoff game and a piss poor prime time record AND a piss poor record against the Steelers, Merv would, at some point, think, "Maybe I'll try something different this time."  Whatever
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Or we could do what usually happens, get baited, lose our minds and get stupid penalties that cost us points or the game.... Just relax and play the game. 

At least we leave the Steelers battered and bruised in their win.

The current turn the other cheek, kill them with kindness, help them up after tackles has just left the Bengals concussed, battered, and beaten handedly. You don't see them helping Bengals players up.

While Marvin is trying to bring class, their coaches are calling fake punts up by 10 and laughing at the Bengals on the sidelines. I'll never forget that scene. Everyone was laughing at the Bengals at that point of the game. I think I heard an announcer chuckle (Marvin was clapping tho).

Enough! If we going to lose (which we are) I want all out war!

Reply/Quote
I don't see anything wrong with what any of them said. Fat Ben is basically saying they are not looking past the Bengals. Marvin is saying don't let it get in your head, it's just another game. Both are correct.
Reply/Quote
Meh replies to media mean very little....I'd like to hear what's being said in the weight room lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: At least we leave the Steelers battered and bruised in their win.

The current turn the other cheek, kill them with kindness, help them up after tackles has just left the Bengals concussed, battered, and beaten handedly. You don't see them helping Bengals players up.

While Marvin is trying to bring class, their coaches are calling fake punts up by 10 and laughing at the Bengals on the sidelines. I'll never forget that scene. Everyone was laughing at the Bengals at that point of the game. I think I heard an announcer chuckle (Marvin was clapping tho).

Enough! If we going to lose (which we are) I want all out war!

I think you are confusing what I said. I in no way mean, go be a bunch of pacifist. Play hard, "TACKLE" hard, but don't get into a cheapshot contest with them and they will get up all bruised and battered.
Also, if we would have done what we suppose to do that fake punt would never have happened.
Yeah, there probably is a good chance Pitt wins this, but it's not a forgone conclusion. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:30 PM)jj22 Wrote: their coaches are calling fake punts up by 10 and laughing at the Bengals on the sidelines.

If I'm Merv, I have that play set on a loop playing 24/7 this week everywhere the Bengals go. I want the Bengals fired up. I don't care if it leads to flags or ejections. I want to see some fire from this team. I want to see them punch Pitt in the mouth (not necessarily just figuratively either Ninja) and tell them they WILL respect the Bengals. Or fear them.

I know it'll never happen, because Merv. But, that fake punt really pissed me off (and still does, apparently) and I wish it would piss Merv off, too.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
We need to beat the Steelers so they end up with the 2nd seed and have to go to NE for the AFC Championship game. That's really all we can do to them, so I'll take it.
Reply/Quote
I'm no Marvin fan, but I can guarantee you that what he says to the media about the game and what is being said in the locker room are two different things. Marvin downplays everything to the media, but inside that locker room you can bet there is talk of it being Steelers week.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:17 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Or we could do what usually happens, get baited, lose our minds and get stupid penalties that cost us points or the game.... Just relax and play the game. 

Or how about option C...? Play with passion and fire, but remain disciplined.

I guess that's too much to ask, yet I see the Steelers doing it every season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I agree with the coaches and Iloka here. If you get all worked up over the Big Bad Steelers coming to town and all you can think about is hitting the snot out of them, then I will tell you are not focused on what you should be doing. Playing football!! We cannot get caught up in the media over hype of this is a "blood bath" and all the the other bulletin board fodder.

Clearly what the coaches and Iloka have been doing has worked so well for us...that 9-28 record vs them since 2000 is quite glorious...
Reply/Quote
Is it already Christmas in Pittsburgh? How in the hell are the Bengals gonna ruin Christmas for them?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 04:09 PM)Fullrock Wrote: I'm no Marvin fan, but I can guarantee you that what he says to the media about the game and what is being said in the locker room are two different things. Marvin downplays everything to the media, but inside that locker room you can bet there is talk of it being Steelers week.

Exactly. Why anyone thinks that marvin is telling the media anything of consequence is beyond belief.

Most of what people get hot about is the editorial thoughts of the reporters. Usually national reporters a part from the couple of local reporters who always try and play up Burfict problems.
Reply/Quote
Because the outcome of these games reflect and determine the preparation and clearly it's more of the ho hum, treat this like any other game (in season that's brought us more losses then wins), and not this secret outrage, urgency, and passion that some are claiming is hidden from the media.

It's hidden from the game as well unfortunately.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 04:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Or how about option C...? Play with passion and fire, but remain disciplined.

I guess that's too much to ask, yet I see the Steelers doing it every season.

Passion is great if you can control it. but like you said, remain disciplined. Our dummies haven't figured that part out yet.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 04:24 PM)Sweetness Wrote: Clearly what the coaches and Iloka have been doing has worked so well for us...that 9-28 record vs them since 2000 is quite glorious...

So in how many of those 28 loses, did we lose, because we had idiots that can't control themselves? I'm just going to guess here but out of the last 4 years maybe 8? I won't don't dispute that Marvin sucks at playing these guys, but I agree with him, you can't go out before the game looking for blood. If they push you after the play, which they do, then blow them up the next play, legally... Not that hard to understand. We don't need them in our head
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 05:22 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Passion is great if you can control it. but like you said, remain disciplined. Our dummies haven't figured that part out yet.

It's a culture thing, IMO. The Steelers have been a fiery, yet disciplined team for 25 years or so.

We've been a mostly timid team with an acute lack of discipline in key moments for 15 years.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote