Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Make the Defense Legit
(05-15-2019, 12:06 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep. And the stats showed that bigtime. Out LB's gave up something like 1800 yards receiving. That was by far the most in the league!

1779 the next closest was 280 yards away.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 10:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Wow, that is one jaw-dropping statistic.  Folks that are wanting to criticize the quality of our pass rushers should really consider that stat, before throwing star players under the bus.  Most of those yards are from quick passes to the underneath portion of the field.  Who's responsible for covering that area?  Certainly not the DL..  

Most of those quick passes leave the QBs hand in under 2 seconds from the snap.  I don't know of any DL in the NFL that can get to the QB in under 2 seconds, with any sort of regularity.  The DL can win their matchup battles all day long, and still look bad if no one is there to stop those quick passes.

Man... There were seriously threads a few months back about how Geno Atkins isn't very good.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2019, 06:42 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote:  I would say this Defense has a top 10 secondary and a top 5 Dline with a healthy.  
In the last 5 games of the year the Defense was on pace per 16 games to have the 5th best 3rd down Defense, 2nd best in allowing first downs, and 11th in scoring.
That's without a Carl Lawson on the edge, a healthy Nick Vigil at LB, and a new toy in Germaine Pratt.
I hope lou saw what Marvin did at the end of last year and copies a lot of it.

Hard to see a Top 5 D line with this group.  They suck against the run.  And for all the vaunted pass rushers, they don't generate a ton of pressure.  Some of the new blood has to step up to get anywhere near a Top 10 unit.  It's sad they're wasting a HoF career and not building around Geno.  The shortest path to the QB is up the middle.  The Bengals have never paired Geno with anything more than middling talent at DT.

The LB's are a bottom 5 NFL unit, if not a bottom 3.  Terrible, no other way to spin it.

The secondary is pretty decent.  A Top 12 unit overall.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Front 4 needs a better DT or what we have to step up big time. The RE has to step up as well Keep shoveling I guess.
Reply/Quote
if you want to get off the field on 3rd down,then it might help
if you stop.allowing 4 yards on 1st down
then 4 yards on 2nd down.
now your the defense is facing 3rd and 2 and the whole
playbook is wide open.
once you make a defense start guessing then the offense has a advantage
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2019, 05:22 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Hard to see a Top 5 D line with this group.  They suck against the run.  And for all the vaunted pass rushers, they don't generate a ton of pressure.  Some of the new blood has to step up to get anywhere near a Top 10 unit.  It's sad they're wasting a HoF career and not building around Geno.  The shortest path to the QB is up the middle.  The Bengals have never paired Geno with anything more than middling talent at DT.

The LB's are a bottom 5 NFL unit, if not a bottom 3.  Terrible, no other way to spin it.

The secondary is pretty decent.  A Top 12 unit overall.
1.) You're forgetting that Lawson missed 9 games last year. If he is healthy and the same player he has always been then he gives this unit something that it didn't have last year.  Also Hubbard and Billings both played well last season and should only see improvement . Not too mention both Geno and Dunlap are still top 10 players at there position.

2.) During the stretch where the Bengals gave up three straight 500 yard games and 3 division losses Vigil didn't play. Considering that he lead off ball LBer in run stops prior to his injury and when he came back the Defense actually played like a decent unit. I would say there is some hope at LB. Also Pratt should be able to produce at WLB for us. Is it a perfect situation No but depending on health could be a lot better than last season.

3.) The secondary is a good one and if Lou coaches to their strength they will play great.
J24

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 02:18 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) You're forgetting that Lawson missed 9 games last year. If he is healthy and the same player he has always been then he gives this unit something that it didn't have last year.  Also Hubbard and Billings both played well last season and should only see improvement . Not too mention both Geno and Dunlap are still top 10 players at there position.

2.) During the stretch where the Bengals gave up three straight 500 yard games and 3 division losses Vigil didn't play. Considering that he lead off ball LBer in run stops prior to his injury and when he came back the Defense actually played like a decent unit. I would say there is some hope at LB. Also Pratt should be able to produce at WLB for us. Is it a perfect situation No but depending on health could be a lot better than last season.

3.) The secondary is a good one and if Lou coaches to their strength they will play great.

I always try and be half full hopeful. I was one who thought our defense could be top 10 or top 5 a year ago. I hope they can get to top 15 in 2019 from 32nd, that would be a huge leap. If our offense could get to top 10 to 12, then we have a shot at the playoffs. But, lot of ifs surround this team right now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 12:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I always try and be half full hopeful. I was one who thought our defense could be top 10 or top 5 a year ago. I hope they can get to top 15 in 2019 from 32nd, that would be a huge leap. If our offense could get to top 10 to 12, then we have a shot at the playoffs. But, lot of ifs surround this team right now.

Honestly the biggest if is health right now for this team a healthy AJ, Lawson, Andy, and Vigil will go a long way to help this team reach it's goals.
J24

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 12:36 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Honestly the biggest if is health right now for this team a healthy AJ, Lawson, Andy, and Vigil will go a long way to help this team reach it's goals.

No doubt, lose your starting QB without a solid back up and your future potential HOF WR along with a great passing TE and your offense takes a dive. In contrast, it should put up much better numbers in 2019 if these guy stay healthy.

On defense, the loss of Glasgow was huge in my opinion. The poor play of a guy we counted on to be stellar Burfict and injuries to Vigil and Brown decimated an already mediocre talented group with poor back ups.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
when the offense lost Eifert Green Dalton,then the rest of the offense and defense collapsed.
once the those 3 went down Lazor went to a very vanilla offensive scheme. Partially because Lazor is stuck in the 1990s with schematics and because Driskel is a minor league baseball player
trying to be a QB.
so when the offense suffered....so does the defense.
when isnt good already in the front 7 due to injury and the lack of depth at LB.....you gashed easily on air or ground.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 12:12 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I always try and be half full hopeful. I was one who thought our defense could be top 10 or top 5 a year ago. I hope they can get to top 15 in 2019 from 32nd, that would be a huge leap. If our offense could get to top 10 to 12, then we have a shot at the playoffs. But, lot of ifs surround this team right now.

I think the first nine games of last season are more the exception than the rule. It's not like this defense has been awful for a prolonged period of time... they've been solid at worst for most of the last decade. Even with the glaring weaknesses at LB I'm expecting them to bounce back... maybe not to the top ten or anything, but they'll be at least decent.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 03:38 PM)NKURyan Wrote: I think the first nine games of last season are more the exception than the rule. It's not like this defense has been awful for a prolonged period of time... they've been solid at worst for most of the last decade. Even with the glaring weaknesses at LB I'm expecting them to bounce back... maybe not to the top ten or anything, but they'll be at least decent.

Our plunge was shocking, as I said I had defense being top 10 with a shot at top 5. So hopefully we get back to top 15 from 32, I think they can. Or maybe I can be wrong again and they are top 10 or 5 since I am prediction a hopeful top 15.

Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 04:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Our plunge was shocking, as I said I had defense being top 10 with a shot at top 5. So hopefully we get back to top 15 from 32, I think they can. Or maybe I can be wrong again and they are top 10 or 5 since I am prediction a hopeful top 15.

That's the good think about the NFL...new years mean anything is possible.

You don't have to have a linear progression: good or bad.

We could be a Top 10 defense possibly with some tweaks.
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 04:55 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Our plunge was shocking, as I said I had defense being top 10 with a shot at top 5. So hopefully we get back to top 15 from 32, I think they can. Or maybe I can be wrong again and they are top 10 or 5 since I am prediction a hopeful top 15.

Let's all forget what I said about the defense before the season.  Lesson learned. I will temper my expectations from now on, because anything can happen. 
Reply/Quote
(05-19-2019, 02:18 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: 1.) You're forgetting that Lawson missed 9 games last year. If he is healthy and the same player he has always been then he gives this unit something that it didn't have last year.  Also Hubbard and Billings both played well last season and should only see improvement . Not too mention both Geno and Dunlap are still top 10 players at there position.

All great points, also have to add we won't have a tired Burfict and the walking tree starting.

Bates with another year after being one of the best Rookies last season in the NFL.

With Pratt, Hubbard and Bates here and new coaches we just need to say healthy.

Austin and Haslett were beyond terrible coaches.

(05-22-2019, 12:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That's the good think about the NFL...new years mean anything is possible.

You don't have to have a linear progression: good or bad.

We could be a Top 10 defense possibly with some tweaks.

There yah go Pistons, i like your positive side my friend.
Reply/Quote