Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Would You Feel About Bengals Taking an OT in Round 1
I ask for several reason. Some NFL site mock drafts show a run on QB early. Some show the best Offensive Tackles in the draft still on the boards. The Bengals Free Agency has kept and brought in guards. Also kept LB and TE. They have let Og and Fish go to other teams. Suddenly it looks like they could be setting up taking a good blocking tackle that can play right tackle or maybe even left tackle if injuries and such require it. Keep in mind the #1 job of a team is Protect The Quarterback. So, what are your thoughts if Bengals in Round 1 find every single Offensive Tackle is still on the board due to a run on QBs, WR's and such. Bare in mind the Top Tackle often goes in the Top 5 or at least the Top 10. Bengals at #11 could fill void left by Og and Fish going. Your Thoughts ? Some Mock Drafts show Bengals taking the Offensive Tackle from Florida Gators who is rated the best in the draft by some sites.

Also keep in mind better blocking might open better lanes for Mixon. It might provide time to pass the ball down field. Two things the Bengals seldom do against Top Ranked Super Bowl Play-Off Type Teams. I'll also mention everybody raving about Rams coaches, but didn't Rams start turn around when they got Whitworth at Left Tackle to block a path for Rams offense. That sometimes the best defense is a good offense as you keep the other teams QB off the field.

The name coming up in some Mock Drafts is Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida, 6-5, 312 lbs, to Bengals as the first OT selected in the 2019 Draft.

Your Thoughts ?

My thoughts are the Bengals were weak at Tackle and are even weaker with Og and Fish gone. It's not good to be weak at Offensive Tackle. Those X's and O's on the drawing board all get blown up without blocking. We've seen that. Bengals against play-off type teams where every play in the playbook gets stuffed due to no blocking. I've even seen Marvin forced to take Dalton out very early and concede games in 3rd quarter due to the QB and RB just getting killed in backfield.

Also remember Bengals once started a rebuild under new coaches with a guy named Anthony Munoz. He blocked Bengals to 2 Super Bowls. That draft had fans wanting other positions, but it's safe to say Munoz was a great pick. Suddenly the weak Bengals getting pushed around weren't getting pushed around any more and Ken Anderson who was being considered a bum ended up AFC MVP with some time to throw and run blocking.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Well, they didn't get a decent OT in FA. THey must have faith in Bobby Hart or they wouldn't have given him a 3 year deal, and you don't pay a guy $7 million a year to sit the bench. We've got Cordy Glenn on the other side, making starter money. They could take an OT in Round 2 or 3 for depth and as someone to develop, but there is no Anthony Munoz or Andrew Whitworth in this year's draft class to consider taking at #11. The addition of Miller at RG was big. I believe they think they have a decent enough OLine in place that they don't have to reach for a player.

I think this is the year we take a sorely needed LB who can be a difference maker. White or Bush fit the mold. This defense needs a shot in the arm.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Going off of what they have addressed in free agency thus far, it certainly would appear as if they might be planning to go OT or CB at the top of the draft. More specifically, franchise LT of the future. I say that because I can't imagine that they feel completely secure with Cordy Glenn, given his injury history and performance. Even when healthy, Glenn looked decent but not dominating as a pass protector, and I would describe his run blocking as "fair to middling". Additionally, they currently have two (2) offensive tackles on the roster, I believe that they typically carry four, or at least 3 and a player that can play G or T.

At CB, obviously the perceived lack of urgency in re-upping Dennard speaks rather loudly that either they don't think he's worth the type of money that he's looking for, or that they just plan on going a different direction. Signing McRae and Webb are nice depth signings, but I feel like they still need a starting slot/nickel CB. Unless they surprise, and make a signing soon, that leaves the draft. I can't see them going CB at the top, as OT is (in my opinion) the bigger need, so I would say (barring any unforeseen trades) a CB taken in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Devin White is gone at #11 which he probably will be then absolutely. Trade back gain another second or third then draft Jonah Williams, Jawaan Taylor, or Cody Ford as a plug and play RT. If the RT is not there them take a DT like Christian Wilkins and in the 2nd grab a Dalton Risner or Yodny Cajuste to plug and play at RT and to be groomed for LT possibly in the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Going off of what they have addressed in free agency thus far, it certainly would appear as if they might be planning to go OT or CB at the top of the draft.  More specifically, franchise LT of the future.  I say that because I can't imagine that they feel completely secure with Cordy Glenn, given his injury history and performance.  Even when healthy, Glenn looked decent but not dominating as a pass protector, and I would describe his run blocking as "fair to middling".  Additionally, they currently have two (2) offensive tackles on the roster, I believe that they typically carry four, or at least 3 and a player that can play G or T.

At CB, obviously the perceived lack of urgency in re-upping Dennard speaks rather loudly that either they don't think he's worth the type of money that he's looking for, or that they just plan on going a different direction.  Signing McRae and Webb are nice depth signings, but I feel like they still need a starting slot/nickel CB.  Unless they surprise, and make a signing soon, that leaves the draft.  I can't see them going CB at the top, as OT is (in my opinion) the bigger need, so I would say (barring any unforeseen trades) a CB taken in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

The so called news is they will resign Eifert Monday or Tuesday.  They have Kirk and WJ3 still at CB.  I see hope in BatesMotel.  I'm not as sold on Williams. To me it looked like Brees dropped back and looked for Wiiliams and threw the ball to whoever he was on, because Bress burned him just about every play. I think we missed IIoka.  So I could see Linebacker, Safety, Cornerback,  but with Ogbuhei and Fisher both gone, I could see an Offensive Tackle. Especially if there is such a run on quarterbacks that the best Tackle is still on the boards. There could be 4 QBs taken before Bengals draft at 11.  I think the plan on the guards signed is to keep them inside for blocking up the gut, or on pulling plays.  The Bengals and Fans have often thought of putting guards at tackle. Tackles at guard. Anybody at center.  It never produces play-off wins.  In the 70's and 80's we actually had Tackles, Guards, Centers and went to Super Bowls. 

Again, imagine Mixon or AJ Green, Boyd, Ross if we had blocking to let them really have big games.  In todays NFL touch football rules, you better be trying to put 50 points on the board, and it all starts up front with Blocking. No Blocking, No Points, No Wins.

Also, if there is a run on quarterbacks due to what rookie quarterbacks did last year, that doesn't mean who we get at #11 isn't a Top Player as good as any other year. In fact it means a good player who would go early most years has fallen to us at pick 11. We should get a Top 10 Pick at 11, and that pick could be the best Linebacker or the Best Tackle. I could see the best Tackle falling to us. If we don't grab him, he will be gone right after we pick. So I am against Trading Down because a Top Player is going to fall to 11. Some team ahead of us is going to reach for a player. Now the problem with the Best Linebackers are, I'm not seeing any interceptions. They are pass rushers, which we have. What we don't have is pass covering linebackers. Our linebackers are too slow and can't cover passes. The top names in the draft are not interception linebackers, they just aren't.

I will add that speed and guys that made interceptions in college at LB, CB, Safety do need to be added as the draft rolls along. The Bengals D has a bad case of the slows. They just don't cover the receivers, or make picks. We have been greatly missing Nelson and Hall and even IIoka. We never replaced them. We are missing Maualuga also, who was better at pass coverage than what we see lately. Problem is, these Top Linebackers in Draft are not pass cover guys. They are edge rush guys, which we already have. So again, I could see the Top Offensive Tackle.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Two of our first five picks need to be OT. At LB we at least have some bodies capable of playing. Burfict, Brown, Vigil, Jefferson, and Evans is not a horrible start to a LB corps. Glenn has played 30 of his last 48 games. And Bobby Hart is Bobby Hart. With nothing behind them tackle is a huge need.

There are multiple OTs I wouldn't mind at 11.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 05:18 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Two of our first five picks need to be OT. At LB we at least have some bodies capable of playing. Burfict, Brown, Vigil, Jefferson, and Evans is not a horrible start to a LB corps. Glenn has played 30 of his last 48 games. And Bobby Hart is Bobby Hart. With nothing behind them tackle is a huge need.

There are multiple OTs I wouldn't mind at 11.

That's kinda the way I see it.  With only two Tackles on the roster, they likely need to take two, with one of them at the top.  While LB was also the next worst position group, a healthy Preston Brown should make a significant impact and relieve some of the pressure.  I agree that they do need to spend a day two pick on the best LB available.  Now, with Dennard appearing to want to move on, you also have to think CB in those top 3 picks.

Edit: Then again, we really don't know what they have in Rod Taylor, taken in the 7th round last year. Hopefully he's recovered nicely from his injury, and kept himself in good shape.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 04:05 AM)Shady Wrote: Well, they didn't get a decent OT in FA. THey must have faith in Bobby Hart or they wouldn't have given him a 3 year deal, and you don't pay a guy $7 million a year to sit the bench. We've got Cordy Glenn on the other side, making starter money. They could take an OT in Round 2 or 3 for depth and as someone to develop, but there is no Anthony Munoz or Andrew Whitworth in this year's draft class to consider taking at #11. The addition of Miller at RG was big. I believe they think they have a decent enough OLine in place that they don't have to reach for a player.

I think this is the year we take a sorely needed LB who can be a difference maker. White or Bush fit the mold. This defense needs a shot in the arm.

Maybe there is not a Munoz or Whit but there could certainly be a Willie Anderson and that is absolutely worth the 11th selection.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 09:06 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Going off of what they have addressed in free agency thus far, it certainly would appear as if they might be planning to go OT or CB at the top of the draft.  More specifically, franchise LT of the future.  I say that because I can't imagine that they feel completely secure with Cordy Glenn, given his injury history and performance.  Even when healthy, Glenn looked decent but not dominating as a pass protector, and I would describe his run blocking as "fair to middling".  Additionally, they currently have two (2) offensive tackles on the roster, I believe that they typically carry four, or at least 3 and a player that can play G or T.

At CB, obviously the perceived lack of urgency in re-upping Dennard speaks rather loudly that either they don't think he's worth the type of money that he's looking for, or that they just plan on going a different direction. Signing McRae and Webb are nice depth signings, but I feel like they still need a starting slot/nickel CB.  Unless they surprise, and make a signing soon, that leaves the draft.  I can't see them going CB at the top, as OT is (in my opinion) the bigger need, so I would say (barring any unforeseen trades) a CB taken in the 2nd or even 3rd round.

I'll be honest I'm not that high on Dennard either at anything more than middle of the road money.

It's just really hard to say what will happen in the draft, there's always a surprise or two. Somebody takes a QB that nobody thought would, a guy most had late 1st or top of the 2nd goes at 9 or something ?

If one of the top OT's is there at 11 I'm fine with it. If one of the top LBers is there I'm fine with that as well. Both are big needs !
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 05:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's kinda the way I see it.  With only two Tackles on the roster, they likely need to take two, with one of them at the top.  While LB was also the next worst position group, a healthy Preston Brown should make a significant impact and relieve some of the pressure.  I agree that they do need to spend a day two pick on the best LB available.  Now, with Dennard appearing to want to move on, you also have to think CB in those top 3 picks.

Edit:  Then again, we really don't know what they have in Rod Taylor, taken in the 7th round last year.  Hopefully he's recovered nicely from his injury, and kept himself in good shape.

I actually think we're solid at the slot position between Wilson, Webb, and Phillips. Boundary Corner is a need but it can wait until the third or fourth.

As to the OP ;yes I would support drafting an OT as long as he starts if he is the best player after pre season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 06:22 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I actually think we're solid at the slot position between Wilson, Webb, and Phillips. Boundary Corner is a need but it can wait until the third or fourth.

As to the OP ;yes I would support drafting an OT as long as he starts if he is the best player after pre season.

Just how many boundary corners do you think are going to be found in rounds 3-4, that will develop into starters in less than two years?  I mean, I get that there are a few out there in the league, but they are the exception to the norm.  The team seems content with WJ III and Dre K. on his current deal, at boundary corner.  

But, let's be realistic.  WJ III, Dre K., Dennard all have one thing in common.  1st round draft pick.  Even if you scroll back to J. Joseph and Leon Hall, both 1st round selections.  It is rare for the Bengals to develop and elevate later round CBs to starter status.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They need an impact player that will not be injured and likely will start.

If not White then Little or Taylor.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I think with the additions already in FA on the line, I think we are looking at other positions now. This draft is going to see at least 3 QB's go in the top 10, this will push premium defensive guys down to us!! Our defense needs playmakers and speed as well as some youth. In my perfect world I'd love for this to happen.

-we trade back a few spots and gain a 3rd rd pick (#95), and a 3rd in 2020 from the Giants at #17. Which was the one they acquired from Cleveland in the OBJ trade. The Giants can then draft their QB at #11, and we can gain another 3rd rd pick to address the line.

No trade scenario: at 11 I like  ( TJ Hockenson-TE, Devin Bush-LB, Clellen Ferrell-DE, Ed Oliver-DT, or Greedy Williams-CB)

trade scenario: at 17 I like in addition to above ( Noah Fant-TE, Jonah Williams-OT, Cody Ford-OT, or Rashan Gary-DE)
Reply/Quote
At 11, I don't know if I really like any of the OT prospects aside from Taylor. Ford or even Dillard may be good picks after a trade down. Little might be worth a shot if he falls out of the first round. I don't think that Williams will hit the ground running in the NFL. 
Reply/Quote
My thinking is that if they liked the tackles at the top of this draft, then they would not have signed a bad football player like Hart to starter money almost immediately in FA.

I think they absolutely take a tackle to be a backup swing guy, but I believe it will be in 3 or later. I'm thinking a Yodny Cajuste or David Edwards kind of player.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 05:41 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Maybe there is not a Munoz or Whit but there could certainly be a Willie Anderson and that is absolutely worth the 11th selection.

Agreed, IF there was a Willie Anderson. I shouldn't say that there's not that caliber of an OT in this year's draft. Maybe there is. I'll trust the coaches to make that evaluation.

Our Oline was not good last year. We all know that.  But our defense was the worst in the NFL. I think the caliber of defensive player who will be available to us at #11 will be far better than the caliber of Olinemen to consider.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 02:00 AM)samhain Wrote: My thinking is that if they liked the tackles at the top of this draft, then they would not have signed a bad football player like Hart to starter money almost immediately in FA.  

I think they absolutely take a tackle to be a backup swing guy, but I believe it will be in 3 or later.  I'm thinking a Yodny Cajuste or David Edwards kind of player.
Whoever said Hart was an Offensive Tackle ?  Maybe some on this site.  He is a guard. He has always been a guard.  I don't think the signing of a couple guards helps at Tackle.  We aren't even sure how set we are at Left Tackle and Right Tackle is a huge question mark.  As it is, Defenses can beat the hell out of us on our Tackles and none of the playbook will work.  

I agree the Defense is bad, but the O line is bad also.  It could be the best player on the board at #11 is the Offensive Tackle from Florida.  Considering our weakness at Tackle, it would fill a needs area.  Against good teams our QB gets killed so our pass receivers are pointless, and we have no running game.  Good teams beat the heck out of our offense. 

I do not believe there is any plan to put Hart or the other guard brought in at Left Tackle or Right Tackle. I think Bengals are in for an awful losing season if they do. Worse than the last 3 years. However if they man up at Tackle and have these guards and centers, they could just have the much needed blocking.

Also, the linebacker suppose to go early people are talking about. No Interceptions. Tackles, Sacks, but No Interceptions. That doesn't help our problem at all. We have tackle and sack Linebackers but No Interceptions. We don't need another linebacker who can't pass cover, we are already loaded with linebackers who can't pass cover. Pass Cover linebackers are what we need, but I'm not seeing them in Round 1. Hopefully in the other rounds there are some.

Since teams are in the nickle 80% of the time anymore, perhaps we need more safety help. A safety the size of a linebacker who can pass cover would be as good as a pass cover linebacker, maybe better. If there is anybody in draft at Safety the size of 200 some pounds like a heavy weight boxer that can tackle and pass cover. Again, not seeing this person in Round 1, but doesn't mean there isn't one in a later round. Like that guy we had in 1988, Fulcher. If teams are going to be in the nickle 80% of the time, Fulcher types at DB that are also like LBs will become more and more needed. That may be the D answer to the rule changes helping QBs pass teams apart, but also burning D's with the run. More Safeties the size of LBs as Fulcher was in these Nickles that can cover these running backs and tight end pass routes, but also stuff the sneaky pete runs.

So IF they take the OT in 1, I think we can get nickle D players after 1. If teams are now in the nickle 80% of the time, that is our problem, because Marvin was old school and didn't have enough nickle players for today's NFL. Some DBs have to be as big as LB's if teams are going to always be in the nickle. A fast 200 pound DB would be a difference maker. Shoot for Fulcher like. Monsters like Tatum, Lott, Polamalu would be huge if teams are in nickle all game. Instead of LB/ DE tweeners, have LB / DB tweeners.

So the D players Bengals need aren't really there in 1. The OT out of Florida could be, and Bengals in great need of him. I really think Bengals can add much needed nickle D players after 1. Bengals already know they will have nickle D on field 80% of 2019. The coaches said so. That is just what the touch football rule changes are forcing.

I will mention 5 Nickle DB/ LB types to look for after round 1, that are listed 6 feet and 200 lbs and in most top 100 players. #1. Taylor Rapp, Washington. #2. Nasir Adderly, Delaware. #3. Juan Thornhill, Virginia. #4. Jonathan Abram, Mississippi State. #5 Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Florida. I think any of these 5 after round 1 would help our swiss cheese nickle we will be in 80 % of the time. The trick is to start filling these huge holes in our zone coverage because offenses are seeing and beating the wide open areas.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Juan Thornhill was a stud in the combine testing. He's 6' 205, ran a 4.42, lifted 21 reps, and had a vertical of 44. He's intriguing as he had 13 ints in his college career also. I always pass on him in mocks, but maybe you have a point Kevin.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 02:21 AM)kevin Wrote: I ask for several reason. Some NFL site mock drafts show a run on QB early.  Some show the best Offensive Tackles in the draft still on the boards.  The Bengals Free Agency has kept and brought in guards. Also kept LB and TE.  They have let Og and Fish go to other teams. Suddenly it looks like they could be setting up taking a good blocking tackle that can play right tackle or maybe even left tackle if injuries and such require it.  Keep in mind the #1 job of a team is Protect The Quarterback.  So, what are your thoughts if Bengals in Round 1 find every single Offensive Tackle is still on the board due to a run on QBs, WR's and such.  Bare in mind the Top Tackle often goes in the Top 5 or at least the Top 10.  Bengals at #11 could fill void left by Og and Fish going.  Your Thoughts ?  Some Mock Drafts show Bengals taking the Offensive Tackle from Florida Gators who is rated the best in the draft by some sites.

Also keep in mind better blocking might open better lanes for Mixon.  It might provide time to pass the ball down field.   Two things the Bengals seldom do against Top Ranked Super Bowl Play-Off Type Teams.  I'll also mention everybody raving about Rams coaches, but didn't Rams start turn around when they got Whitworth at Left Tackle to block a path for Rams offense. That sometimes the best defense is a good offense as you keep the other teams QB off the field.

The name coming up in some Mock Drafts is Jawaan Taylor, OT, Florida, 6-5, 312 lbs, to Bengals as the first OT selected in the 2019 Draft.

Your Thoughts ?

My thoughts are the Bengals were weak at Tackle and are even weaker with Og and Fish gone.  It's not good to be weak at Offensive Tackle.  Those X's and O's on the drawing board all get blown up without blocking.  We've seen that.  Bengals against play-off type teams where every play in the playbook gets stuffed due to no blocking.  I've even seen Marvin forced to take Dalton out very early and concede games in 3rd quarter due to the QB and RB just getting killed in backfield.

Also remember Bengals once started a rebuild under new coaches with a guy named Anthony Munoz. He blocked Bengals to 2 Super Bowls. That draft had fans wanting other positions, but it's safe to say Munoz was a great pick. Suddenly the weak Bengals getting pushed around weren't getting pushed around any more and Ken Anderson who was being considered a bum ended up AFC MVP with some time to throw and run blocking.

Taylor has lots of issues and likely couldn't beat out Hart to start....He will be overdrafted based on "potential".

There are several DTs that are rare talents that I feel can make an immediate impact.  If Ed Oliver is there, the Bengals have to take him.  He immediately improves every level of the defense with his pass-rush ability.  Put him next to Geno on passing downs and get after the opposing QBs.  I am amazed that teams are poo-pooing him a bit (supposedly) due to a decrease in production this past year when opposing teams put as many as three guys on him.  

I like Devon White a ton as well, but I would rather have a DT and get the LB a bit later.  OT is a need, and they will likely address that position in the 2nd round with a RT candidate, but I don't see any OTs that could push Glenn out of a job.  I also don't see any that I feel could be the LT for the next 10 years.  Our offense was far from the problem last year.  They just need more depth to survive injuries.  

The defense can improve dramatically with a few additions at DT and LB.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2019, 06:22 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I actually think we're solid at the slot position between Wilson, Webb, and Phillips. Boundary Corner is a need but it can wait until the third or fourth.

The main thing to keep in mind is how the team is thinking.

I doubt very seriously that the team views "boundary" corner as a need at all.  They have Jackson and Dre.  I also think they are more than comfortable with the draft picks they have invested, albeit late ones, to fill the void left by Dennard.

I think Burfict's release locks them into taking one of the Devins at #11.  I don't like that approach, but I think that it's inevitable at this point.
Reply/Quote