Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Zac Taylor stays confident in Bengals despite two wins, an injured franchise QB..
This was particularly interesting...as successful people generally evaluate their failures and figure out why and fix it.

'That optimism was evident in his first season at the helm of Cincinnati's rebuilding project. When Taylor, who is also the offensive playcaller, talked about plays that didn't work in 2019, he didn't often look at why they failed. Instead, he saw the design for what it could be -- a block here, some execution there and suddenly a 2-yard loss becomes a big play or touchdown.

Even on a day when nothing went right against Dallas in Week 15, that didn't change. With less than nine minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Cincinnati had a rushing touchdown nullified by a holding penalty. The score could have cut the Bengals' deficit to six. Instead, the drive stalled after a failed fourth-down attempt.

Taylor brought up the missed opportunity to the team to show how close it came. It was another example of the young coach looking for what went right in yet another defeat.'

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30538763/how-zac-taylor-stays-confident-bengals-two-wins-injured-franchise-qb-job-questions
Reply/Quote
[Image: kmEWpxP.gif]
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was particularly interesting...as successful people generally evaluate their failures and figure out why and fix it.

'That optimism was evident in his first season at the helm of Cincinnati's rebuilding project. When Taylor, who is also the offensive playcaller, talked about plays that didn't work in 2019, he didn't often look at why they failed. Instead, he saw the design for what it could be -- a block here, some execution there and suddenly a 2-yard loss becomes a big play or touchdown.

Even on a day when nothing went right against Dallas in Week 15, that didn't change. With less than nine minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Cincinnati had a rushing touchdown nullified by a holding penalty. The score could have cut the Bengals' deficit to six. Instead, the drive stalled after a failed fourth-down attempt.

Taylor brought up the missed opportunity to the team to show how close it came. It was another example of the young coach looking for what went right in yet another defeat.'

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30538763/how-zac-taylor-stays-confident-bengals-two-wins-injured-franchise-qb-job-questions

I saw this article earlier today, and it made me wonder...Is Taylor's optimism a positive or negative?

How it's a positive:
- It can motivate the team to believe they are just a play or two away from winning. This could push them to play hard(er).
- It could instill a sense of confidence and trust in the players and coaches they have, which could result in those guys having a sense of loyalty.
- It can help sell new players to come to the team.

How it's a negative:
- Some players/fans may not buy into the optimism if things continue to be bad like they have been, causing frustration and thinking Taylor is in denial.
- Could keep the team from making more drastic moves that may be needed to really go to the next level because they think they can win with the group they have.

Personally, I'm not an overly optimistic person, so I view Taylor's eternal optimism as exhausting and played out after nearly 30 games played with only 4.5 wins.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I saw this article earlier today, and it made me wonder...Is Taylor's optimism a positive or negative?

How it's a positive:
- It can motivate the team to believe they are just a play or two away from winning. This could push them to play hard(er).
- It could instill a sense of confidence and trust in the players and coaches they have, which could result in those guys having a sense of loyalty.
- It can help sell new players to come to the team.

How it's a negative:
- Some players/fans may not buy into the optimism if things continue to be bad like they have been, causing frustration and thinking Taylor is in denial.
- Could keep the team from making more drastic moves that may be needed to really go to the next level because they think they can win with the group they have.

Personally, I'm not an overly optimistic person, so I view Taylor's eternal optimism as exhausting and played out after nearly 30 games played with only 4.5 wins.

id rather he be realistic...  And work with what he has and not what he fancys in his head.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 04:31 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: id rather he be realistic...  And work with what he has and not what he fancys in his head.

Same. With that said, it's easy to buy into the hype when you talk to an overly optimistic person before you really see their results.
I honestly believe this trait was the biggest reason the Bengals FO loved him and wanted him to be their HC.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Same. With that said, it's easy to buy into the hype when you talk to an overly optimistic person before you really see their results.
I honestly believe this trait was the biggest reason the Bengals FO loved him and wanted him to be their HC.

NFL is a results driven league and for most teams...it also applies to the jobs. Not in Cincy .
The positives are nice at the beginning (a fix here, a tweak there etc etc,)  but now its an endless drone of BS that no one buys into anymore...the losing has gone past the point of no return for this guy. 
Reply/Quote
The Cincinnati Bengals: Always just a play away.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 04:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Same. With that said, it's easy to buy into the hype when you talk to an overly optimistic person before you really see their results.

is that him on the commercial that says eventually the one who wins is the one who thinks he can?

Is his coaching philosophy based on The Little Engine that could?
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 04:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This was particularly interesting...as successful people generally evaluate their failures and figure out why and fix it.

It's his job to analyze the tape, figure out what went wrong, and fix it.  He's not wrong on most of these.  This team has a ton of blown assignments and bad reps by players that cause plays to break down and fail.  Problem is, he's shown no real ability to fix those issues.  
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:16 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: is that him on the commercial that says eventually the one who wins is the one who thinks he can?

Is his coaching philosophy based on The Little Engine that could?

Dunno about all that, but Taylor definitely seems to take the tortoise approach of slow and steady vs the hare's approach.

EDIT - Maybe he learned that approach from Mike Brown
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
**BUZZZER**

What are elicit drugs?

I'll take World History for $880.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Dunno about all that, but Taylor definitely seems to take the tortoise approach of slow and steady vs the hare's approach.

EDIT - Maybe he learned that approach from Mike Brown

its a nice try but Taylor has show little ability to learn anything.
Reply/Quote
"Who cares learning why it failed so I can do better in the future, it COULD have been good, and that's all that matters." - Zac Taylor, apparently

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
"Let's look at the things that went right" - it's a philosophy that surely keeps the meetings shorter.
Reply/Quote
(12-21-2020, 05:30 PM)Whatever Wrote: It's his job to analyze the tape, figure out what went wrong, and fix it.  He's not wrong on most of these.  This team has a ton of blown assignments and bad reps by players that cause plays to break down and fail.  Problem is, he's shown no real ability to fix those issues.  

Is it weird that players make that many mistakes?
Reply/Quote
Being so optimistic you’re divorced from reality is not a good thing.
Reply/Quote
[Image: th?id=OIP.g4xroXYYUnPJ1KGi8TF8eAHaEP&pid...=295&h=170]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
[Image: 556138a49b939.jpeg]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Optimism + lots of losing = denial
Reply/Quote