Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How about AJ McCarron
Had a good game for a young backup. Did nothing that made me want him to be the starter over Andy.
Reply/Quote
Agreed. Andy is still clearly the starter, but it is nice to have a backup with some experience now too.

23/41 1 TD and 1 INT isn't bad for your first playoff start against a defense that was decent. I thought he was helped by *some* good offensive line play (in pass pro).

That said, man oh man does he stare down his receivers and have a slow release sometimes. It got better in the 4th quarter, and the results bared that out. When McCarron is decisive and releases the ball quickly you might see slightly less accuracy but his completion rate actually goes up.

Also, I will give him props for adjusting to the rain. Obviously he was struggling at first, so then he puts on gloves (then takes one off) and worked it out.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:38 PM)hitchopottimus Wrote: Had a good game for a young backup. Did nothing that made me want him to be the starter over Andy.

Yeah, he's not going to start over Andy, but I thought he kept his composure well and didn't play poorly for a guy in his 4th NFL start. I've seen worse from more seasoned QBs.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:21 PM)McC Wrote: He led a game winning drive in a playoff game.  What happened after that was not his fault.

No he didn't.  Otherwise we would be playing next weekend.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree he can play in the NFL, im not going to Knight him as a great QB... as I stated before, I like knowing if Dalton is hurt, AJM still gives use a chance to win.... Next year though, we will need Dalton's skills even more with the lose of some key players.

On that we agree.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 06:48 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: No he didn't.  Otherwise we would be playing next weekend.

you don't want to give him credit for the 4th quarter, I really couldn't care less.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
With Dalton this offense was 4th in PPG, and without him we were 28th in PPG
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 07:07 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: With Dalton this offense was 4th in PPG, and without him we were 28th in PPG

He looked a lot like Andy, four games into his career.  Did you really think there wouldn't be a drop off?  Come on, man.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Sorry, and I have nothing personal against Dalton, but if Andy Dalton is in Saturday the offense does not make that 4th quarter comeback. Sorry, it just doesnt.

In that rain, Dalton would be a rattled mess by middle of the 3rd.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 02:54 PM)WhoDeySince81 Wrote: Sorry, and I have nothing personal against Dalton, but if Andy Dalton is in Saturday the offense does not make that 4th quarter comeback. Sorry, it just doesnt.

In that rain, Dalton would be a rattled mess by middle of the 3rd.

I agree, because the team would be up all game and wouldn't need a comeback
Reply/Quote
Upon which previous playoff game do you base your confidence?

2012? 31-10 L to Houston?
2013? 19-13 L to Houston again where the defense outscored the offense?
2014? 27-10 L to San Diego where Dalton fumbled untouched in the 4th qtr?
Last year? 26-10 L to the Colts?

Even in that rainy mess we managed to score our highest playoff point total. Hell, AJ Green just scored the first postseason TD pass of his career! Does that not say something?
Reply/Quote
Fred has a thread that posted the stats for the first career post season start of Bengals quarterbacks. Based on history, McCarron actually played well. Regardless, he did play a good fourth quarter and put the team in a position to win. Yes he is young and need to improve, he does a lot of "young" things (staring down a receiver and holding the ball too long come to mind), but I do think he has proven the game is not too big for him.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 02:38 PM)hitchopottimus Wrote: Had a good game for a young backup. Did nothing that made me want him to be the starter over Andy.

This is where I am.  The first half was pretty bad....as was most of the second....but after that hit on Bernard, the whole team, including him, seemed to wake up quickly and get after it.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Dalton is certainly better but then Andy is better than about 27 other qb's

AJM could be a starter for a team that is close with a good defense.  

Looking at you Texans and Rams

Will be interesting if teams call us about him.  
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 03:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: This is where I am.  The first half was pretty bad....as was most of the second....but after that hit on Bernard, the whole team, including him, seemed to wake up quickly and get after it.

I think only 2 first downs in the first half was more than pretty bad. The 3rd quarter was the same way. The only reason why we had any points was because the defense gave the ball to us with amazing field position, and a PI call. McCarron played like hot garbage.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 03:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Fred has a thread that posted the stats for the first career post season start of Bengals quarterbacks.  Based on history, McCarron actually played well.  Regardless, he did play a good fourth quarter and put the team in a position to win.  Yes he is young and need to improve, he does a lot of "young" things (staring down a receiver and holding the ball too long come to mind), but I do think he has proven the game is not too big for him.

Agree with every word of this. Not saying AJM is better physically than Dalton right now (although he does have a better deep ball). He does however have the one thing Dalton has always lacked in big moments/games - confidence. I just get the feeling that he raises his game in big moments instead of pi$$ing down his leg.

Take what you have seen from McCarron over the past 4 games, then give him about a third of the patience and development that Dalton was given, and I guarantee you end up with a MUCH better finished product. Maybe even good enough to actually show up in the playoffs someday.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 03:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Dalton is certainly better but then Andy is better than about 27 other qb's

AJM could be a starter for a team that is close with a good defense.  

Looking at you Texans and Rams

Will be interesting if teams call us about him.  

Don't get your hopes up. There are quite backup QBs that are better than McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 03:43 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I think only 2 first downs in the first half was more than pretty bad. The 3rd quarter was the same way. The only reason why we had any points was because the defense gave the ball to us with amazing field position, and a PI call. McCarron played like hot garbage.

And yet, he still did something Andy never did--score in the second half of a playoff game.

Let me ask you this--where was Andy five games into his career?

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 03:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Don't get your hopes up. There are quite backup QBs that are better than McCarron.

Name one.  Bonus points if you can name 5.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 03:44 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Don't get your hopes up. There are quite backup QBs that are better than McCarron.

Why do you have such a hard on against the guy?  Are you an Auburn fan?   This goes beyond the norm.

Reply/Quote