Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
How about AJ McCarron
(01-11-2016, 04:09 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Name one.  Bonus points if you can name 5.

Mike Glennon, Mark Sanchez, RGIII, Drew Stanton, Nick Foles, Matt Hasselbeck, Brock Osweiler, Blane Gabbert, Ryan Mallet, Matt Shaub

how about 10
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:12 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Mike Glennon, Mark Sanchez, RGIII, Drew Stanton, Nick Foles, Matt Hasselbeck, Brock Osweiler, Blane Gabbert, Ryan Mallet, Matt Shaub

how about 10

Haha come on man . You must be joking.
Reply/Quote
He did an excellent job given the circumstances, you couldn't ask for anything more out of your back up QB making his first NFL Start.

He didn't lose the game for us and should have won it, he has a solid career in front of him.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:12 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Mike Glennon, Mark Sanchez, RGIII, Drew Stanton, Nick Foles, Matt Hasselbeck, Brock Osweiler, Blane Gabbert, Ryan Mallet, Matt Shaub

how about 10

Well, he beat Mallett and Gabber and, Foles looked like a giant pile of crap when we played them and he only played because the journeyman who beat him out for the job couldn't play.  So, take those three off your list.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:18 PM)McC Wrote: Well, he beat Mallett and Gabber and, Foles looked like a giant pile of crap when we played them and he only played because the journeyman who beat him out for the job couldn't play.  So, take those three off your list.

Mallett and Gabbert both had to play against the Bengals defense, and McCarron had to play against the Ravens and 49ers defense only getting 4/14 3rd down conversions, and 0/9 3rd down conversions. Both of those QBs out played McCarron. McCarron only had the benefit of a much better team.
Reply/Quote
AJM is better than

Browns, Texans, Bills, Rams

Can make an argument for

Eagles, Dolphins, Broncos
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Mallett and Gabbert both had to play against the Bengals defense, and McCarron had to play against the Ravens and 49ers defense only getting 4/14 3rd down conversions, and 0/9 3rd down conversions. Both of those QBs out played McCarron. McCarron only had the benefit of a much better team.

Look, man, you have an irrational hatred of the guy.  You obviously have your reasons and I don't care what they are.  But you wanna sit there and say Gabbert or Foles is better, that tells me all I need to know.  It's kinda weird but it's your right.  AJM had the game in hand and there's no arguing that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

how about 10

Mike Glennon I could see as being viewed as a better backup than AJ.

Sanchez, RG3, Foles, Schaub I think you are rating them based on performances from years ago, not recently.

Drew Stanton was abysmal for years but did play well when Carson got hurt last year, I can see that one.

Hasselbeck was in and out of a lot of games he played in this year he's so old and brittle.  But I'll give you that one too, because he played well this year when called on.

Osweiler is the guy I would view as the most comparable to McCarron - both are still young, both relatively inexperienced, both with a high ceiling.

Gabbert had a rebirth this year, but you can't really call him a backup.

I would not take Mallet over McCarron, don't know why you would unless you are just an AJ hater.

So Glennon, Stanton, Hasselbeck, Osweiler I agree on.  AJM is still one of the top backups in the league and unlike guys like Hasselbeck and Stanton, has the potential to improve with experience.

If I were the Browns, Texans, Rams, 49ers or Bills, I would be on the phone with the Bengals about AJM and I'd be thinking about making him my starter.

It's borderline but there's room for a guy like AJM to start in the NFL right now if Austin Davis and Brian Hoyer are out there.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:21 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Mallett and Gabbert both had to play against the Bengals defense, and McCarron had to play against the Ravens and 49ers defense only getting 4/14 3rd down conversions, and 0/9 3rd down conversions. Both of those QBs out played McCarron. McCarron only had the benefit of a much better team.

Yes, you and RoyleRedlegs have continued to reinforce that whenever anything good happens, it's because AJM was surrounded by talent and they bailed him out.  When anything bad happens, it's because AJM stinks.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:25 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Mike Glennon I could see as being viewed as a better backup than AJ.

Sanchez, RG3, Foles, Schaub I think you are rating them based on performances from years ago, not recently.

Drew Stanton was abysmal for years but did play well when Carson got hurt last year, I can see that one.

Hasselbeck was in and out of a lot of games he played in this year he's so old and brittle.  But I'll give you that one too, because he played well this year when called on.

Osweiler is the guy I would view as the most comparable to McCarron - both are still young, both relatively inexperienced, both with a high ceiling.

Gabbert had a rebirth this year, but you can't really call him a backup.

I would not take Mallet over McCarron, don't know why you would unless you are just an AJ hater.

So Glennon, Stanton, Hasselbeck, Osweiler I agree on.  AJM is still one of the top backups in the league and unlike guys like Hasselbeck and Stanton, has the potential to improve with experience.

If I were the Browns, Texans, Rams, 49ers or Bills, I would be on the phone with the Bengals about AJM and I'd be thinking about making him my starter.

It's borderline but there's room for a guy like AJM to start in the NFL right now if Austin Davis and Brian Hoyer are out there.

Sanchez, RGIII, Foles, and Schaub still could move their offense when they were out there recently, and they have shown in the past that they can play

and because Hasselbeck and Stanton "doesn't have the potential to improve" it still doesn't take away from the fact that they are currently better than McCarron.

All McCarron has shown is that he can be a game manager with one of the best offenses in the league. He is horrible at getting first downs, and he is bad at pre-snap reads.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:26 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Yes, you and RoyleRedarse have continued to reinforce that whenever anything good happens, it's because AJM was surrounded by talent and they bailed him out.  When anything bad happens, it's because AJM stinks.

When has anything good happened when McCarron on the field, unless you want to say that we punt the ball instead of giving up a turnover. I only remember a few throws that he did that I thought was good in all of his games combined. If McCarron had a lot of good things going for him, hell if he had just a few good things going for him it would be different. But he has shown so little.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:26 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Yes, you and RoyleRedarse have continued to reinforce that whenever anything good happens, it's because AJM was surrounded by talent and they bailed him out.  When anything bad happens, it's because AJM stinks.

Not even in the convo and you bring me up and throw in the personal insult. 
Very nicely done. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 04:33 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Not even in the convo and you bring me up and throw in the personal insult. 
Very nicely done. 

You are one of the biggest McCarron bashers on the forum.  That's why you were brought up.

Spare me the crying and whining over personal insults when you said I had "McCarron ball-flavored glasses" the other day.  You like insulting others but cry like a little girl when someone ties your username to your persistent negativity?

Boo hoo.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:03 PM)BigSeph Wrote: You are one of the biggest McCarron bashers on the forum.  That's why you were brought up.

Spare me the crying and whining over personal insults when you said I had "McCarron ball-flavored glasses" the other day.  You like insulting others but cry like a little girl when someone ties your username to your persistent negativity?

Boo hoo.

Nothing personal about the glasses. Just a graphic change to "rose-colored glasses" 

Not crying. Not persistently negative.

Try again. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:06 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Nothing personal about the glasses. Just a graphic change to "rose-colored glasses" 

Not crying. Not persistently negative.

Try again. 

OK Walter.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:29 PM)BigSeph Wrote: OK Walter.

Good luck with your future endeavors and starting "McCarron should start" threads in July. 

Ignore list bound. 
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:30 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Good luck with your future endeavors and starting "McCarron should start" threads in July. 

Ignore list bound. 

Yeah keep on lying.  I challenged you to go find an example of me saying that and you completely dodged it.

I look forward to being on your ignore list so I won't have to respond to your perpetual negativity.  Please do it as soon as possible.
Reply/Quote
We're getting off topic here....

Bottom line - for one magical moment, we all thought we had broken through. The game was won, we finally did it. Yes, we completely collapsed after that, but for that one brief moment we finally had a QB that got it done in the playoffs.

Sorry, but thats the only time we have been able to say that around here in a lonnnnnng time. And that QB was AJ McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2016, 01:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: He played about as well as any QB can play in the post-season under Marvin.

He played better than any quarterback played in the post-season under Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2016, 05:42 PM)tlotharw Wrote: He played better than any quarterback played in the post-season under Marvin.

We gonna put him on a pedestal for a 68 passer rating?

credit where credit's due, the TD to A.J. was the best play as a pocket passer I've seen from him yet, but, the dude wasn't good for the majority of the game.
Reply/Quote