Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a defensive TD or big special teams play?
6 games in anybody.notice not a TD from the defense or special teams?
This team has lost several games this year by a TD or less.
Any of those losses could have been wins if the defense or special teams
Maybe just perhaps.
The 3 other North teams have defensive TDs this year and they all came away
With wins in.those games.
I think.it's time to replace Alex Erickson as PR. He does nothing special
When he gets a punt.
Does anyone remember when Cedric Peerman took a direct snap for 60 yds one year?
Why is Simmons so scared to add some trickery. ?
Heck I recall years ago vs the Steelers when Jeff Hill scored on a reverse
On a actual punt return.
We need some juice from the defense or special teams in the worst way
This weekend vs the Browns
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 6 games in anybody.notice not a TD from the defense or special teams?
Maybe just perhaps.
When he gets a punt.
Does anyone remember when Cedric Peerman took a direct snap for 60 yds one year?
On a actual punt return.

I don't think Simmons is scared to add trickery.

I think that is on Taylor.

Simmons was here when we did that Peerman fake. Maybe Taylor has control over all those plays and heaven forbid even 
Marvin Lewis was more aggressive than Zac Taylor.
Reply/Quote
I am surprised we have not had any fake punts or anything, especially with the amount of short yardage 4th downs we have had. That said we should wins despite D/ST not scoring. You don’t blow a 21 point lead in this league, you just don’t. That falls squarely on coaching. Taylor/Anarumo also have to figure out how to get better in the last 2 minutes of first half and end of regulation. They seemingly love to give up points in those moments, and if you take those pioints away this team would have a winning record right now. That said it continues to be a problem.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:17 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: I am surprised we have not had any fake punts or anything, especially with the amount of short yardage 4th downs we have had. That said we should wins despite D/ST not scoring. You don’t blow a 21 point lead in this league, you just don’t. That falls squarely on coaching. Taylor/Anarumo also have to figure out how to get better in the last 2 minutes of first half and end of regulation. They seemingly love to give up points in those moments, and if you take those pioints away this team would have a winning record right now. That said it continues to be a problem.

The thing is we are perfect as far as I know on 4th down, at least we were before the Colts game.

One positive, but I would rather not be in as many 4th or even 3rd downs. This is a negative.

Oh yeah, was that stupid play where they ran a cold Perine in and gave him the ball 4th down? Might of been.

That was a dumb call, Burrow is good at the QB sneak, use it like the Pats did Brady all the time. Killed teams.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:00 PM)impactplaya Wrote: 6 games in anybody.notice not a TD from the defense or special teams?

It's not like they haven't had their opportunities.  I've noticed two or three potential pick6s that never had a chance because our defender was already mapping his route to the endzone, rather than looking the ball in first.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 08:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It's not like they haven't had their opportunities.  I've noticed two or three potential pick6s that never had a chance because our defender was already mapping his route to the endzone, rather than looking the ball in first.

Haven't had a DB with good instincts AND good hands since Reggie Nelson left.

Doesn't help that Kirkpatrick+Dennad+WJ3 all had pretty poor hands.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 07:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: The thing is we are perfect as far as I know on 4th down, at least we were before the Colts game.

One positive, but I would rather not be in as many 4th or even 3rd downs. This is a negative.

Oh yeah, was that stupid play where they ran a cold Perine in and gave him the ball 4th down? Might of been.

That was a dumb call, Burrow is good at the QB sneak, use it like the Pats did Brady all the time. Killed teams.

Yep the Perine play was 4th and 1.
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 09:59 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Yep the Perine play was 4th and 1.

Wasn't it 3rd and 1? Then the missed FG was on 4th down, I thought.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 09:03 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Haven't had a DB with good instincts AND good hands since Reggie Nelson left.

Doesn't help that Kirkpatrick+Dennad+WJ3 all had pretty poor hands.

Jessie Bates has great instincts and decent hands. Might not ever have an 8 INT season like Nelson, but he’s playing at an All Pro level right now.

Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 10:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't it 3rd and 1? Then the missed FG was on 4th down, I thought.

Yep good call I believe you are right. DOINK!
Reply/Quote
I love a fake field goal or punt play.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 08:29 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: I love a fake field goal or punt play.

Love them when they work.  When they fail, not so much..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 09:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Love them when they work.  When they fail, not so much..

A direct snap to the upback always works for a big change the field play.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 10:05 AM)impactplaya Wrote: A direct snap to the upback always works for a big change the field play.

It seems to work well for teams that execute well.  For teams like the Bengals, who struggle to block for the most basic of football plays, trickery and hijinks might be a little outside of their domain.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-22-2020, 10:08 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Wasn't it 3rd and 1? Then the missed FG was on 4th down, I thought.

Ah, so we are still perfect on 4th downs. Something to be positive about is always something lol

(10-22-2020, 10:09 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Jessie Bates has great instincts and decent hands. Might not ever have an 8 INT season like Nelson, but he’s playing at an All Pro level right now.

Yes sir, Bates is a great ballhawk. He could have an 8 INT season too, wouldn't put it past him.

He just can't hit like The Predator could. Dude was special, one of my fave Bengals of all time.

(10-22-2020, 11:58 PM)thompson19osu Wrote: Yep good call I believe you are right. DOINK!

Its all good, that is why I asked, cause I wasn't sure.

(10-23-2020, 09:11 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Love them when they work.  When they fail, not so much..

Yep.

(10-23-2020, 10:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: It seems to work well for teams that execute well.  For teams like the Bengals, who struggle to block for the most basic of football plays, trickery and hijinks might be a little outside of their domain.

Sad but true.
Reply/Quote
The trickery on a punt comes from the personal protector making a good read.

Peerman was the personal protector during his time here.

The last few seasons it was Fej, who left in the offseason, and he has taken the direct snap to move the chains at least once this season that I saw.

I don't think the lack of trickery on punts is on Simmons or Taylor when it is short yardage, rather new personnel in the position learning how to make the correct read.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals’ defense hasn’t consistently forced turnovers since Mike Zimmer was here.

Interceptions are not the result of luck. They result from film study, proper coverage, and using the body correctly to gain inside leverage.
Reply/Quote
(10-23-2020, 01:47 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Ah, so we are still perfect on 4th downs. Something to be positive about is always something lol

Nah, they blew that a game before, I believe. 

10-11 on 4th down

Which makes the 3rd and 1 FB dive with a 0 offensive snap guy followed by a FG attempt so much weirder.

Reply/Quote
It's hard to force turnovers when you line up 3 defensive tackles and Logan Wilson to pressure the QB.  I can't recall ever seeing a pro coaching staff so committed to ignoring the difference between an IDL, an EDGE, and an off ball LB.  
Reply/Quote
Maybe just perhaps.
When he gets a punt.
On a actual punt return.

Browns have one of the worst special teams units in the league.  As far as the defensive TD goes, Phillips had a pick six if he holds on to the ball against the Ravens.  Could have been a MASSIVE play that makes it 17-7 when the defense is starting to find the way.  

I have no idea why Phillips dropped off so massively against the Colts.  He was amazing, especially rushing the passer, against the rats.  

I sincerely hope they employ the same gameplan they did against the rats.  Delayed blitzes and secondary pass rushers against Mayfield.  Every team makes him look like a turd EXCEPT the Bengals.  They need to get a rush on him and keep him in the pocket and uncomfortable.

I have no doubts the offense will find its way to over 24 points.  This game is on Anaurmo and his ability to create pressure on Mayfield and keep him in the pocket.  If he has all day, they will destroy the Bengals with WJIII out.  
Reply/Quote