Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How an urban myth about litter boxes in schools became a GOP talking point
Why is it cats that we keep hearing about?  Seems like a very narrow scope of animals that kids are choosing to become.  What about dogs or t rexes?  I guess they both just crap whoever so no litter box is needed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2022, 11:51 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I’m on my way to the doctor’s so I can’t respond to this fully but, for starters, why would I alert any news outlets about this situation?

Even if I did think it was newsworthy, why would I do something to bring negative attention to the school? Wouldn’t that impact their willingness to have me continue to present there?

Why would the school immediately know you were the person who outed them as having students identifying as felines?  Are you the only person who knows about the situation?

Quote:
Wouldn’t that impact other schools’ willingness to have me in?

If you're spewing BS about schools on the internet.  Yes.  Yes it would and should.  I believe a lot of the things you put your name to on these boards would impact that decision. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why is it cats that we keep hearing about?  Seems like a very narrow scope of animals that kids are choosing to become.  What about dogs or t rexes?  I guess they both just crap whoever so no litter box is needed.

[Image: 8rvH5zawZ2wTBgr39UrH9f-1200-80.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:40 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: [Image: 8rvH5zawZ2wTBgr39UrH9f-1200-80.jpg]

Truly the biggest stain on America during the Trump administration.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 10:50 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I can name the school. I won’t, but I can, so my post is believable.

Also, it’s apparently happening all over, so why are you trying to make me name one school as if me not being willing to do so erases every other school?

Answer: because you’re grasping for straws to try and invalidate what’s actually happening in the country.

Just like every other conspiracy theory people who claim proof never actually provide it but they continue to spread their stories like they are reality.

Your teacher friend should be fired for spreading lies and you should do some serious self-examination to figure out why you are so gullible to them.

These lies harm children and their education.  These stories are designed to destroy public education and further the political agenda of conservatives

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: I can't deny that you were told that.

I can deny that I've seen or heard one single shred of proof that such a thing happened.

So because you weren't told that something happened at a high school in Cincinnati, that means that it didn't happen?
(10-19-2022, 12:36 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: Why would the school immediately know you were the person who outed them as having students identifying as felines?  Are you the only person who knows about the situation?

My last name is on this message board and it's a board about a Cincinnati sports team, so there's an off-chance that someone from Cincinnati could see it.

(10-19-2022, 12:36 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: If you're spewing BS about schools on the internet.  Yes.  Yes it would and should.  I believe a lot of the things you put your name to on these boards would impact that decision. 
I'm not spewing BS and you and all the other deniers in this thread keep using empty rhetoric like "spewing BS" and claiming that I posted that they provide litter boxes because you know that you have no other leg to stand on.

(10-19-2022, 02:18 PM)pally Wrote: Just like every other conspiracy theory people who claim proof never actually provide it but they continue to spread their stories like they are reality.

Your teacher friend should be fired for spreading lies and you should do some serious self-examination to figure out why you are so gullible to them.

These lies harm children and their education.  These stories are designed to destroy public education and further the political agenda of conservatives

How do you know she's spreading lies?

How is the truth harming children?

This wasn't a public school, so that kind of destroys your entire post and proves that you were posting empty rhetoric, huh?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 02:53 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So because you weren't told that something happened at a high school in Cincinnati, that means that it didn't happen?

No.

You may have been told that.  I have nothing but your word.

I do not have any proof that such thing is happening.  Anywhere.  And neither do you.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
I'm not a denier, I mean I want this to be true, but I'm a skeptic because I've been hurt before.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: No.

You may have been told that.  I have nothing but your word.

I do not have any proof that such thing is happening.  Anywhere.  And neither do you.

Except that internet searches exist, did you forget about that?

Quote:The Meade County School district is dealing with an unusual situation: a group of high school students is attending school acting like and dressing as cats.

The superintendent tells WLKY the situation is being addressed, but according to a concerned grandparent, it’s an ongoing problem that has many students on edge.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except that internet searches exist, did you forget about that?

That article was pretty anti-climactic.  A group of kids wore fake cat ears and tails and what not and they were cited as being against the school dress code and dealt with.  Seems reasonable enough.  I went to high school in the 90s and there were kids who wore spiked collars and stuff, so I guess it's ok to hint at the bdsm life but not the furry life, or something.

Well, this seems like much ado about nothing.  What a bummer.  I think "concerned parents" are just looking for a reason to go to school board meetings and act like maniacs now that the whole covid thing has blown over.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:14 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except that internet searches exist, did you forget about that?

No mentions of litter boxes. Just furries.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:21 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: No mentions of litter boxes. Just furries.

Once again, I keep saying that she never mentioned litter boxes, but you people keep going back to that.

That's when you know that when you know your argument is invalid.

Congrats.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:21 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: No mentions of litter boxes. Just furries.

Are they furries?  I see kids at HS events and they are in animal onesie things they sell at wal mart.  That seems stupid to me and I wouldn't wear it, but to simply ascribe what is some sort of (I think?) lifestyle and/or fetish to kids seems well....creepy.

News flash, teens wear and do stuff to get a rise out of people.  The mullet is back...ironically I think, for pete's sake.  This just reminds me of being naive enough to see the goth kids at school when I was a kid and assume they worshipped satan, rather than they just had crappy fashion sense, liked Hot Topic, and were accumulating photos they'd be embarrassed to see in a decade. 

But again, I went to school during the Satanic Panic days, where people were saying everything from D&D to dice to heavy metal was occultic and dangerous. 

Calling a teen with cat ears on a furry is probably like going up to a teen in a KISS t shirt and striking up a conversation about the 1978 solo albums and why Peter Criss (the cat, no less) made the best one of the four.  Teens are posers. Such posers.  They'll be on to the next fidget spinner before you know it.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:26 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Once again, I keep saying that she never mentioned litter boxes, but you people keep going back to that.

That's when you know that when you know your argument is invalid.

Congrats.

Read the topic title. This entire thread is about litter boxes.

Unless your upset kids wear headbands with cat ears on them? Because buddy - that ain't going away any time soon with anime being as popular as it is. Not to say kids are going full uWu girl, but even my wife has a set of headphones with cat ears on them and we're damn near 40.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 03:26 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Are they furries?  I see kids at HS events and they are in animal onesie things they sell at wal mart.  That seems stupid to me and I wouldn't wear it, but to simply ascribe what is some sort of (I think?) lifestyle and/or fetish to kids seems well....creepy.

News flash, teens wear and do stuff to get a rise out of people.  The mullet is back...ironically I think, for pete's sake.  This just reminds me of being naive enough to see the goth kids at school when I was a kid and assume they worshipped satan, rather than they just had crappy fashion sense, liked Hot Topic, and were accumulating photos they'd be embarrassed to see in a decade. 

But again, I went to school during the Satanic Panic days, where people were saying everything from D&D to dice to heavy metal was occultic and dangerous. 

Calling a teen with cat ears on a furry is probably like going up to a teen in a KISS t shirt and striking up a conversation about the 1978 solo albums and why Peter Criss (the cat, no less) made the best one of the four.  Teens are posers. Such posers.  They'll be on to the next fidget spinner before you know it.

Wearing cat ears does not equate to being a furry - I'll grant you that.

Wearing cat ears and meowing and scratching at folks does. At least in my book.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 04:06 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Wearing cat ears does not equate to being a furry - I'll grant you that.

Wearing cat ears and meowing and scratching at folks does. At least in my book.

I guess I figured furries were a littler crazier than that.  This is just teens doing cringey stuff and wearing cringey stuff.  Big news....save us, government!

But really, it seems like another time where the GOP wants to be seen as this group that gives polite culture the middle finger while simultaneously trying to get the government to limit manners by which other people offend people's delicate sensibilities. 

My pronouns are KISS MY ASS and Washington Redskins!  Now stop these teens from acting like cats, they're upsetting me.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:29 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Why is it cats that we keep hearing about?  Seems like a very narrow scope of animals that kids are choosing to become.  What about dogs or t rexes?  I guess they both just crap whoever so no litter box is needed.

Sight unseen, Tik Tok is to blame.
Reply/Quote

Not a single photo.

And the "grandma" said:

Quote:"Apparently, from what I understand, they’re called 'furries,'" the grandmother, who asked to remain anonymous, told WLKY. "They identify with animals. These people will hiss at you or scratch at you if they don’t like something you’re doing."

She said it’s not a new problem.

"I was hearing rumblings of this last year, but it really got bad when they went back to school this year. I have two grandkids in school and my grandkids didn’t want to go to school anymore," she said.

She said the issue gained attention on social media once people started sharing photos and videos of the feline costumes and behavior, "I started getting videos and messages from kids, and I said, 'Ok, I’m going to post this so parents know what’s going on.'"

The grandmother said a petition to end the practice was created by students and has more than 1,000 signatures.

...from what she "understands".

The one actual news station that covered this story was the one you shared.  That's it?

Find me a photo.  Heck find me one student who is a proud "furry" at the school who is defending it.

And you really need to read the reasons people are signing the petition.  It's a hoot.

https://www.change.org/p/allow-hats-or-take-away-animal-behavior-clothing-in-meade-county-schools/c

Looks more like some kids found away around a new dress code and the school had to play catch up and then conservatives lost their collective minds...lol.
[Image: giphy.gif]
You mask is slipping.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 04:26 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Sight unseen, Tik Tok is to blame.

Well seeing as the generation that bases their lives around crap on the internet raised the generation that bases their lives around crap they see on the internet, I'm not surprised.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2022, 12:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Pretty sure I answered that I didn’t know about litter boxes.

I’d have to go back and look but ivv bc think I mentioned that she just said they had students identifying as cats and that they had to go along with it.

Well, ask your trusted friends about more details then. It's your thesis that kids identifying as cats is a wide-spread phenomena, you are close to a direct witness, investigate a bit further and report back to us. It would be quite the natural thing to do to strengthen your position.

For as of now, it sure looks like some kids were doing dress-up in one school and unreflected folks on the right like you use that to paint a grim and ridiculous picture about crazy leftist culture.

Oh and the internet mentions one case in Australia that is quite vaguely sourced and also, one person in a country on the other side of the earth. That's all. All the claims regarding the US are folks claiming they heard a story from a friend whose sister... and so on. Not a single tangible story, no pictures, no teachers speaking out, nothing. Just rumours spread by right-leaning folks that have heard things.
Reply/Quote