Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
no HOF for Ken Anderson this year
The senior committee nominated Packer Jerry Kramer and Oiler Rober Brazile as their nominees for the 2018 HOF class. Long overdue opportunity for Kramer who is the only All 50 year team member not to be in the Hall. Sucks for Kenny though....

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Bengals are always going to get screwed on this. Ken Anderson and Ken Riley belong in.

They played for Cincinnati, though, which means they were neglected. If they had played for a big market team, they would both already be in. Hell, Ken Riley is 5th all-time in INT and never even went to a single Pro Bowl.

It's one of many reasons why the NFL HoF is a joke.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
It's a shame both Anderson and Riley aren't in. Both deserve it but they're Bengals soo..........
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 07:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals are always going to get screwed on this. Ken Anderson and Ken Riley belong in.

They played for Cincinnati, though, which means they were neglected. If they had played for a big market team, they would both already be in. Hell, Ken Riley is 5th all-time in INT and never even went to a single Pro Bowl.

I agree with you on both of them should be in, as should Dillion at some point but the HOF is not a joke.. it is not perfect for sure,, the senior committee at least trys to correct some of the oversights... but all HOF's have these type of debates..

For example how the hell is Concepcion not in and Ozzie is ?  one reason flare.. not overall play....

http://cincinnatireds.blog.daytondailynews.com/2017/01/18/ozzie-says-concepcion-belongs-in-the-hall/

I feel Anderson will finally get in over the next 2 to 3 years.. sadly I think Riley will never get in. 
Reply/Quote
Perhaps they should just do away with these popularity contests all together because the truly deserving are all too often left out while a lot of nobodies get enshrined .
In some ways it's a good reason to not have "rings of honor".. They always leave out someone who gives it their all only to be forgotten. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 01:10 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with you on both of them should be in, as should Dillion at some point but the HOF is not a joke.. it is not perfect for sure,, the senior committee at least trys to correct some of the oversights... but all HOF's have these type of debates..

For example how the hell is Concepcion not in and Ozzie is ?  one reason flare.. not overall play....

http://cincinnatireds.blog.daytondailynews.com/2017/01/18/ozzie-says-concepcion-belongs-in-the-hall/

I feel Anderson will finally get in over the next 2 to 3 years.. sadly I think Riley will never get in. 

According to the advance metrics, Concepcion collected 39.8 WAR in his career. Smith had 76.5 WAR. The average WAR for a HoF shortstop is 66.7.

Generally 60 WAR is when HoF talk starts happening for positional players. (Not that getting in is guaranteed, but it means talks about it happening are.)

They were about the same offensively, but Smith was a superior defender, hence his 13 Gold Gloves, which is the main thing that got him in.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Dillon is more of a borderline for me. Sad thing is, if he was drafted by a good team, he would have likely gone down as one of the best RB. Same with Steven Jackson. Great RBs who probably will miss out on HoF because of the shitty teams they were stuck with.

Football HoF is very much a popularity thing, made worse by how many people they put into it. Like 7 a year.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
You know the guy that needs to be in....is Jim Marshall.  He played for the Vikings and was the heart and soul of the Purple People Eating machine.  But all that everyone ever remembers of him is one bad play.  Its a shame really.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Not saying I agree with it at all (I don't) but if that 82 Bengals team had won that Super Bowl, which was one of the closest of all time, he is already in.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 09:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's a shame both Anderson and Riley aren't in. Both deserve it but they're Bengals soo..........

Yep. The HOF is a complete joke. It's like that list of "the cool kids" those pretentious popular girls made in middle school. The HOF and every biased blowhard who votes on that committee can fornicate themselves with a rusty railroad spike
Reply/Quote
Unfortunately, this is how it will always be for Bengals players. Unless we start having postseason success and win some Super Bowls, our players will have to have greatest ever at a position type of careers to even be considered.

It is a damn shame that these 2 aren't in the Hall. It's a joke. Had they wore almost any other uniform, they'd be in,
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 07:55 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals are always going to get screwed on this. Ken Anderson and Ken Riley belong in.

Exactly.....it's stuff like this that leads to the NFL conspiracy theories you read about on here.  I'll agree with the OP though, Kramer was long overdue.  I assumed he was already in.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 09:10 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: You know the guy that needs to be in....is Jim Marshall.  He played for the Vikings and was the heart and soul of the Purple People Eating machine.  But all that everyone ever remembers of him is one bad play.  Its a shame really.

Couldn't agree more.....it's truly a shame Marshall is not enshrined.  He was a helluva fine ballplayer.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Yup, both should be in. Dan Fouts is in and he never won a superbowl either - but being from the left coast - bing, he's in.
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 09:51 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: Unfortunately, this is how it will always be for Bengals players. Unless we start having postseason success and win some Super Bowls, our players will have to have greatest ever at a position type of careers to even be considered.

It is a damn shame that these 2 aren't in the Hall. It's a joke. Had they wore almost any other uniform, they'd be in,

Yep, and IMO it's pathetic how HOF candidates are judged. They put far too much much emphasis on team success and popularity over statistics. I do agree with it to an extent, but players shouldn't have to put up "best of all time" numbers to even be considered... Especially while other players who are more famous for their name than their on field performance get in easily (see: Terry Bradshaw). 

It's sickening, but I believe that Tim freakin Tebow is more likely to get in before Anderson or Riley. 
Reply/Quote
Would love Kenny to get in but honestly don't think it will happen.

Had an opportunity to meet this spring and he was very gracious!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 09:19 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's a shame both Anderson and Riley aren't in. Both deserve it but they're Bengals soo..........

^ This. These two guys belong in the HOF, and them not being inducted year after year is a crime.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2017, 07:00 PM)pally Wrote: The senior committee nominated Packer Jerry Kramer and Oiler Rober Brazile as their nominees for the 2018 HOF class.  Long overdue opportunity for Kramer who is the only All 50 year team member not to be in the Hall.  Sucks for Kenny though....

Jerry Kramer needed in.   Yes, Ken Anderson someday.   Ken Riley was NEVER voted a Pro Bowl player and I don't think NFL cities saw what we saw. ...The Bengals need a Hall of Fame building as Reds have. Hey Brown Family, it would help make you money all year round.  I know you like money.  Near Paul Brown Stadium a Bengals Hall Of Fame open all year long.  Heck, people could check out Reds Hall of Fame and Bengals Hall of Fame. Great for vacationers traveling I-75 or whoever.  Money makers when no games going. The local restaurants would benefit also.  Team Pride and History plus Money Makers. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 01:10 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree with you on both of them should be in, as should Dillion at some point but the HOF is not a joke.. it is not perfect for sure,, the senior committee at least trys to correct some of the oversights... but all HOF's have these type of debates..

Um, no.

Ozzie has a MUCH more bulletproof resume than Concepcion.

Dave hit more home runs. That's it.

Ozzie has many more doubles, many more triples, SIGNIFICANTLY more SBs (and at a better SB%), is 17th on the all-time fielding percentage at SS list (Concepcion is **87th**) and of course, significantly more hardware as well.

They are close on similarity score, but HOFs usually arent too close with others, so they aren't TOO close.

So yes, there is a clear-cut reason why Ozzie is in and Dave isn't... and it has nothing to do with flash, regardless of what a homer article says.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-25-2017, 08:45 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: According to the advance metrics, Concepcion collected 39.8 WAR in his career. Smith had 76.5 WAR. The average WAR for a HoF shortstop is 66.7.

Generally 60 WAR is when HoF talk starts happening for positional players. (Not that getting in is guaranteed, but it means talks about it happening are.)

They were about the same offensively, but Smith was a superior defender, hence his 13 Gold Gloves, which is the main thing that got him in.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Dillon is more of a borderline for me. Sad thing is, if he was drafted by a good team, he would have likely gone down as one of the best RB. Same with Steven Jackson. Great RBs who probably will miss out on HoF because of the shitty teams they were stuck with.

Football HoF is very much a popularity thing, made worse by how many people they put into it. Like 7 a year.

Popular thing what do you think gold gloves aee, you actually old enough to see them play consepcion also did things that Ozzie couldn't do and did you look at the link War didn't even exist back when Ozzy was being put a those stats don't lie in link concepcion is Major oversight so it's not just football. 
Reply/Quote