Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are they now? Mike McGlinchey
I remember a decent amount of people saying McGlinchey was just "meh" as an OT prospect and likely wouldn't amount to much in the NFL. Well, he's played in nine games so far with the 49ers and he's been doing pretty damn well at RT for them. His PFF score this year is a very good 80.2, which puts him as their 7th ranked OT in the league (not just RT).

While I was ok with the Price selection, I was really hoping there would have been a way McGlinchey could have made it to the Bengals' pick.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:07 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I remember a decent amount of people saying McGlinchey was just "meh" as an OT prospect and likely wouldn't amount to much in the NFL. Well, he's played in nine games so far with the 49ers and he's been doing pretty damn well at RT for them. His PFF score this year is a very good 80.2, which puts him as their 7th ranked OT in the league (not just RT).

While I was ok with the Price selection, I was really hoping there would have been a way McGlinchey could have made it to the Bengals' pick.

Wanted an OT or top OG in first and grab top C left in second. McGlinchey would have qualified but he did not even make it half way to us. 

Liked Wynn a whole lot too but he got hurt 9 snaps into season so hard to grade how well that would have worked. 

But following my plan would have subtracted Bates from the team. Still wish we would have drafted 2 OL. 

Yet am happy with Price if he could ever get healthy.  

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:31 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Wanted an OT or top OG in first and grab top C left in second. McGlinchey would have qualified but he did not even make it half way to us. 

Liked Wynn a whole lot too but he got hurt 9 snaps into season so hard to grade how well that would have worked. 

But following my plan would have subtracted Bates from the team. Still wish we would have drafted 2 OL. 

I understand and was not really meaning to take away from Price/Bates. More trying to point out that McGlinchey has been a really good pick for SF so far when a lot of people thought it was a huge reach at 9.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I understand and was not really meaning to take away from Price/Bates. More trying to point out that McGlinchey has been a really good pick for SF so far when a lot of people thought it was a huge reach at 9.

Was not trying to say otherwise although I may have done just that accidentally. 

Pointing towards my plan of taking OL in first two rounds or at least 2 out of first 3. 

Always enjoy your posts especially in offseason when analyzing team needs and potential draft picks. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I'll admit it. I was sour on him. I'll even admit I was a fairly strong voice in it. I wont re-hash my reasons. But mainly I follow a site that thought he lost some of his key college match ups when facing better players. I still feel comfortable with the site I follow though from an overall perspective.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 12:06 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I'll admit it.  I was sour on him.  I'll even admit I was a fairly strong voice in it.  I wont re-hash my reasons.   But mainly I follow a site that thought he lost some of his key college match ups when facing better players.  I still feel comfortable with the site I follow though from an overall perspective.

I don't typically take one site/source as the truth, as it's guaranteed that every analyst will be wrong about some prospect at some point. I typically cross-reference scouting reports across a handful of sites and look for common themes to establish my opinions. For the most part, that approach has worked out well for me. I do agree with you that certain sources/sites are (far) more reliable than others though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Ohhh, they can be wrong alright.

"I am really happy for the kid. He suffered a torn ACL in Texas A&M's bowl game this year and it was thought that injury would push him back in the draft. He reminds you of the Jets' D-Brickashaw Fergson. Because the Bengals have Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth at tackle, Ogbuehi can get healthy before he has to play." -- Mike Mayock
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 12:57 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Ohhh, they can be wrong alright.  

"I am really happy for the kid. He suffered a torn ACL in Texas A&M's bowl game this year and it was thought that injury would push him back in the draft. He reminds you of the Jets' D-Brickashaw Fergson. Because the Bengals have Andre Smith and Andrew Whitworth at tackle, Ogbuehi can get healthy before he has to play." -- Mike Mayock

That's a good one!  Can you find any quotes from when Johnny Manziel was drafted?   LOL

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:31 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Wanted an OT or top OG in first and grab top C left in second. McGlinchey would have qualified but he did not even make it half way to us. 

I was another who wanted an OT plus a C in the first two rounds. Now I want an OT and a G for next year. Seems like I want some OLineman every year though. Why is that?  Ninja

Good point about Bates. Imagine not having him now. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I think we need a new starting RT. That'd be my ideal round 1 or 2 choice in 2019.

I don't feel so bad about RG at the moment. Redmond isn't very good, but Hopkins looked really good at Center, so him + Price is a good 1 2 punch that could occupy C-RG.

And Westerman remains a good option despite this coaching staff ignoring him.

You can find guards later in the draft anyway.

The other round 1 or 2 choice I hope we get is a good Linebacker. Our LB core is depressing.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2018, 10:51 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I think we need a new starting RT. That'd be my ideal round 1 or 2 choice in 2019.

I don't feel so bad about RG at the moment. Redmond isn't very good, but Hopkins looked really good at Center, so him + Price is a good 1 2 punch that could occupy C-RG.

And Westerman remains a good option despite this coaching staff ignoring him.

You can find guards later in the draft anyway.

The other round 1 or 2 choice I hope we get is a good Linebacker. Our LB core is depressing.

I don't really like the FA LBs either, so I think draft makes more sense. Given the crop of LBs in the draft, I don't think there will be good options late, so I too think Bengals should get one no later than Day 2. With the Bengals seeming so unwilling to go after higher-priced OL in FA, they probably need to also look at early-round OTs. Another pass catcher probably should also be brought in. I'm tired of rolling the dice on Eifert.

If the Bengals pursued a guy like Jared Cook as a stopgap (he's probably the best bargain-bin pass-catching TE) for a year or two, the draft could end up something like...
1) RT
2) LB
3) OG
4) Swing OT

I lose all hope for anyone to become a significant contributor after Round 4. Depth or ST only Rounds 5-7.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The Colts had a really nice draft. They have Quenton Nelson of course but Darius Leonard has been a rookie of the year candidate and Braden Smith has been playing really well at Right Tackle even though never taking a snap at tackle in college...Kemoko Turay has flashed talent too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I didn't want to create a separate thread for it, but I was wondering what happened with Maurice Hurst since he fell so far in the draft due to his heart condition.
Turns out he's played in every game this season for the Raiders and already has 4.0 sacks, a FF, and 3 PDs. He's the starting 3T next to Jonathan Hankins.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote