Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My only mock is really a trade with Jacksonville mock
This is likely my only mock of two different scenarios, since a trade is always a possibility. I used the profiles on NFL.com as a grading compass over what I see and drafttek’s 7 rd mock as a general barometer for not being too far off. If there are a lot of 3rd rd safeties, I consider one of them being here for the 4th for example and compare them to an actual high 4th rd player. I try to not fall in love with a player as it throws off mock discussion, and try to find the spots where talent meets need. I don’t like saying things like “pass on Harrison because we will get Dye in the 4th” because you don’t know if the player will be there later. I’m also putting stock into Cincy calling their shot when they made big offers to LB’s, signed Bynes and we hear of them targeting a LB early.

If they don’t see peak value at 33, Jacksonville is a hot spot to move up with all those mid round picks. The FO didn’t bring back as many of their own guys, so coming off of a 2 win season it’s not far fetched they end up with 9 picks. It may be an ideal year to add late picks since there may be some virtual war rooms that will drop or wipe players off their boards that they aren’t 100% sold on their grade. I get that teams aren’t lost, but the conflict in communication for the last month does play into how they’ll rate guys vs a normal year IMO. That may make big names drop, so if you don’t like my names in scenario 2 choose your own.

Scenario 1:
1. Joe Burrow QB LSU
All the discussion has pretty much taken place already.

33. Zach Baun LB Wisconsin
With Murray and Queen gone, Baun gives them a versatile weapon at OLB. He can roam around the line and still be a threat to drop back, rush or play the run. They’ll likely play a lot of 3-3-5 with a nickle or 3 safety looks. That gives them a Hubbard/Baun/Lawson rotation outside and a Pratt/Bynes rotation inside.

65. Lucas Niang T TCU
Being scheme versatile and even a run blocking guard if needed beats out Isaiah Wilson here. He could step in and challenge at RT, or more likely RG if they’re holding out hopes for Hart. Either way, it makes the current youngsters earn it and worst case you have yourself a swing tackle if need be.

I’m not filling out the rest, as most of you already have straight forward mocks and I’d rather look at the trade....

Scenario 2:
Trade with Jacksonville: 33 & 180 for 42, 137, 140 and 157
None of the LB’s are there and they don’t see a BPA worth passing on the Jacksonville trade up. Jacksonville has a plethora, and they give both late 4ths and a round swap (6th to 5th) to move up 10 spots. Again, remind yourself in this scenario that your guy at 33 is gone.

1. Joe Burrow QB LSU
All the discussion has pretty much taken place already.

42. Malik Harrison LB OSU
I’m not a fan of the pick, but in this scenario I think they make it. Hopefully a stud BPA falls here, but it would be distracting to mock a specific player. Harrison is a plug and play ILB that continues the run defense agenda but is limited yet not bad in coverage. A lot would hinge on how they use the LBs with the collection of Pratt, Evans, Bynes and even Shaun Williams at times covering TE’s and RB’s. I think they take Harrison for stability and try and develop another LB with a later pick.

65. Lucas Niang T TCU
Same pick from above but there are some solid alternative lineman and it could be the time to jump on an ideal WR even if it is a deep class. I think the lack of quality tackles in the league will have teams taking green ones or a guy like Ezra Cleveland even in the late 2nd out of need. So, maybe a guy like LSU’s Cushenberry becomes a solid RG option here.

107. Logan Wilson LB Wyoming
Though the Harrison pick provides stability, they have Wilson and his coverage/run skills staring them in the face at 107. This allows them to double down at LB with a long term plan rather than applying vet band-aids. I wouldn’t designate picks for the position, but since he can also play outside he covers a lot of ills. You could say why take a similar LB as the 2nd rounder, but we have to work forward not backward when doing mocks.

137. Anfernee Jennings EDGE Alabama
Past injury may drop him here (especially this year), but the trade allows for minor gambles. He sets the perimeter well and allows for a either a 3 man rotation outside or a hand down rusher.

140. Antonio Gandy-Golden WR Liberty
While teams take more polished receivers out of need, this raw but high upside target may still be there. He may take a year to develop into the deep threat that they need if Ross doesn’t end up being that guy. If he is, then Burrow just gets another toy here in Gandy-Golden.

147. Noah Igbinoghene CB Auburn
There’s a lot of mid round depth at the position and he’s a physical guy that gives long term depth with Phillips. A coverage LB or even Safety (a position the draft is weak in) would be more ideal, but they should take the value, long and short term at a premium position.

157. Ben Bartch T St. Johns (MN)
Classic converted TE from a small school. They can redshirt and stash him as a long term prospect at LT with the upside of a quality backup. For anyone wanting another OL before this, it’s very probable actually, but don’t be surprised if they don’t just get a deal done with Mike Person or one of the solid tackles still left in FA after day 2.

215. Brycen Hopkins TE Perdue
Burrow gets a one dimensional receiver that works to get open quickly. This class doesn’t have a lot of depth, but he’s useful and could battle for a job. I think they have enough at DE if you consider Wren there as well, but I’d understand drafting one late as well.
Reply/Quote
I'm just curious as to who Jacksonville would be trading up for.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 07:26 PM)McC Wrote: I'm just curious as to who Jacksonville would be trading up for.

Jordan Love is a candidate. If Love falls out of the first and I think he will a team will want to trade up to 33 ahead of the Colts at 34 who only have Rivers for a season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2020, 07:58 PM)Synric Wrote: Jordan Love is a candidate. If Love falls out of the first and I think he will a team will want to trade up to 33 ahead of the Colts at 34 who only have Rivers for a season.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart-Rich-Hill.asp?RequestTeam=JAX

Yeah, with 12 picks overall and so many mid round (3 in the 4th, 2 in the 5th) there's a lot of reasoning behind trading up somewhere for quality over quantity.  Love could be a guy, then again maybe they go for a specific player.  I even went and saw today that drafttek actually has a mock deal with KC at 32 as well. 
Reply/Quote
I like the players selected, but a bit unsure of the value of the pick exchange. Wonder if we could get more picks giving them Dalton :)
Reply/Quote
I like it phil413. You have a lot of the players I put in my mock draft.
Reply/Quote
I like this Mock, the Defense would definitely be stacked. I just think we need to go more Offense for Burrow
after our FA we just had. Like I said, I like all the players just think after Harrison we ought to concentrate more
on weapons earlier. Love the Offensive picks and love my main man in Logan Wilson but I think a good weapon
would be there instead at that point after taking Harrison.
Reply/Quote
In option 1 I don't think Baun is there at 33. Every national mock I've seen, Baun goes to Baltimore in round1.

The 2nd option is a big no for me. You take defense 3 of the first 5 picks after spending $150 mil on defense in FA. They have offensive holes to fill also....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote