Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How bad our offense is, by the numbers
(10-16-2023, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 27th in scoring
32nd in yards
3rd in pass attempts, yet 28th in pass yards (wow)
31st in rush attempts, 32nd in rush yards and 26th in YPC

Burrow's average of 5.30 YPA is the lowest in the NFL (for a QB with over 1000 yards) since Jimmy Clausen in 2010.

From 2009 to present, only the 2018 Cardinals have averaged fewer yards.

Burrow is running around like he's fine. Something else is contributing to this type of ineptitude. I've never been a pin it all on Zac guy, but I have to ask questions.

1. Are Zac and Brian failing to make necessary changes to counteract defenses catching up with our offense?

2. Is Tee holding our offense back with some kind of health or attitude problem (contract)?

3. Is Burrow still unhealthy or turning into Carson Wentz?

4. No Tight End?

What do yall make of the stats, and what do you think the problem is?

Play design and calling...

And some Execution.... why is burrow focusing on Chase?? well chase actually catches the ball
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 09:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: why is burrow focusing on Chase?? well chase actually catches the ball

He doesnt seem to trust the Tight Ends or running Backs at all. If someone drops a pass or two they go on Joe's naughty list.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2023, 04:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: 1. Are Zac and Brian failing to make necessary changes to counteract defenses catching up with our offense?

2. Is Tee holding our offense back with some kind of health or attitude problem (contract)?

4. No Tight End?

What do yall make of the stats, and what do you think the problem is?

1) My personal opinion is Zac/Brian is too reliant on Burrow being able to operate under his normal self to make this an effective offense. They refuse or don't know how to adjust well enough.

2) Injuries happen. I don't think Higgins is having an attitude problem at all. I think this is a classic case of needing others to step up when one guy is in a slump/injured.

3) I never thought Hurst or Uzomah were overly impressive (as seen by how little they're doing on their new teams), but they were still valuable pieces to the offense in CIN. While TE isn't a focal point, the Bengals still need one who is competent to help make the offense go. If there's one spot I think makes sense to try to improve by the trade deadline, it's TE.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 04:24 PM)GodFather Wrote: He doesnt seem to trust the Tight Ends or running Backs at all. If someone drops a pass or two they go on Joe's naughty list.

Do you blame him? We knew going into the season that we were rated to have the worst TE group in the NFL and the season thus far has pretty much backed up that assessment. Mixon is almost comically bad at trying to block for Burrow which normally ends with him taking a hit, and has 4 drops on 21 targets for a 19% drop rate. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Burrow gave Mixon props in a recent presser saying he's blocking in the pass game "Much better". To me this means they hear the outside noise, or could predict it with Perine gone and have no 3rd down back really. Mixon is good in the open field as a pass catching RB and he's made some good plays in the run game otherwise this year, we don't use him enough, and he still gets caught in the backfield sometimes. When Mixon is on the move he can be hard to bring down in the open field, but he's not on the move often enough (i.e. he takes a while to get into open space and get to top speed with leverage).
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 07:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Burrow gave Mixon props in a recent presser saying he's blocking in the pass game "Much better". To me this means they hear the outside noise, or could predict it with Perine gone and have no 3rd down back really...

What Burrow says about Mixon doesnt mean a whole lot.  You dont think Burrow is really going to come out and say Mixon sucks in pass protection.  We all know he does though.
Reply/Quote
There was play early where Smith was wide open for a TD & Burrow threw is to Chase instead. We scored later in the drive.

The pass to Chase was a pass to the left flat, but Smith had snuck out behind the D to the right. All Burrow had to do was loft it over the LB. Some pressure, but he could have done it to my eye.

Cannot find the clip.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2023, 09:41 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: Number of carries for running backs this season….

Joe Mixon 96 carries
Trayvon Williams 5 carries
Chase Brown 2 carries
Chris Evans 2 carries

Pretty much Mixon is the only one getting carries.

We have always been a "bellcow" team. The RB2 and especially the RB3 have never received as many carries as they typically do on other teams.

Maybe because the Brown family pays the "bellcow" and expects to get their money's worth. Considering how long this has been going on, I think this is likely the reason.

This looks even worse now, because we pass so much and there are fewer carries to go around.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 07:24 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Burrow gave Mixon props in a recent presser saying he's blocking in the pass game "Much better". To me this means they hear the outside noise, or could predict it with Perine gone and have no 3rd down back really. Mixon is good in the open field as a pass catching RB and he's made some good plays in the run game otherwise this year, we don't use him enough, and he still gets caught in the backfield sometimes. When Mixon is on the move he can be hard to bring down in the open field, but he's not on the move often enough (i.e. he takes a while to get into open space and get to top speed with leverage).

Burrow praising Mixon’s blocking is the same exact thing as other players calling Volson a hall of famer. There’s a method to it. Idk what it accomplishes. Maybe it’s designed to get heat off of the player’s back, idk.

But it means nothing

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 09:09 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Play design and calling...

And some Execution.... why is burrow focusing on Chase?? well chase actually catches the ball

Every football play that was ever drawn up was designed to potentially be a scoring play, if executed properly..  Cool
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every football play that was ever drawn up was designed to potentially be a scoring play, if executed properly..  Cool

Nah you got plays to get you 1 yard... 5 yards etc....

By play design i talking about when routes open up... Or put 2 guys in the same area etc.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2023, 06:26 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Do you blame him? We knew going into the season that we were rated to have the worst TE group in the NFL and the season thus far has pretty much backed up that assessment. Mixon is almost comically bad at trying to block for Burrow which normally ends with him taking a hit, and has 4 drops on 21 targets for a 19% drop rate. Lol

No I don't blame him one bit, how maddening is it on 3rd and 4 and an easy first down pass is dropped. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 12:40 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Burrow praising Mixon’s blocking is the same exact thing as other players calling Volson a hall of famer. There’s a method to it. Idk what it accomplishes. Maybe it’s designed to get heat off of the player’s back, idk.

But it means nothing

It’s basically unheard of for a player to come out and admit to the world that he thinks his teammate is trash. So it’s why when I see quotes like this you just chalk it up to “what else is he supposed to say?” and move on. But as the kids say “the film don’t lie” and we can all see what the problems are.

To be honest I’m glad that our guys talk each other up regardless of what the numbers say. If you’ve got players throwing each other under the bus it’s a sure sign that it’s pretty much all over and you might as well blow up the team and start over.
"I'm not going to accept losing"

-- Joe Burrow
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 03:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have always been a "bellcow" team. The RB2 and especially the RB3 have never received as many carries as they typically do on other teams.

Maybe because the Brown family pays the "bellcow" and expects to get their money's worth. Considering how long this has been going on, I think this is likely the reason.

This looks even worse now, because we pass so much and there are fewer carries to go around.

Dehner mentioned that Mixon is already starting to look a little more worn down than normal. They have got to figure something out when it comes to the RB room.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2023, 03:45 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have always been a "bellcow" team. The RB2 and especially the RB3 have never received as many carries as they typically do on other teams.

IDK about this; Sami Perine was pretty good the past two seasons and Giovanni Bernard was a pretty good back for us as well.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote