Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How bad was AJ Green last year?
Over the last 10 years there have been 345 times when a WR has been targeted 100 times in a season.  Green had 104 last year.

Of those 345 Green's 5.0 yards per target last year ranked 344th. (Tavon Austin 4.8 in 2016)

His 45.2 catch percentage ranked 343rd. (Denarius Moore 44.7 in '12, Torrey Smith 44.5 in '12)

He was one of only 16 who did not have more than 2 receiving tds.

He was not just bad.  He was HISTORICALLY bad.

Higgins only had 4 more targets (108) but he produced 20 more receptions, 385 more yards, and three times as many tds (6).

Boyd only had 6 more targets (110) but he produced 32 more receptions, 318 more yards, and twice as many tds.
Reply/Quote
My opinion, he was saving himself all year to avoid injury looking forward to this free agency. That isn’t me saying he will be 2015 AJ once signing with a new team, just saying he held back to stay healthy enough for a chance somewhere else.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 07:59 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: My opinion, he was saving himself all year to avoid injury looking forward to this free agency. That isn’t me saying he will be 2015 AJ once signing with a new team, just saying he held back to stay healthy enough for a chance somewhere else.

I don't see any logic in this at all.  The LAST thing a player wants to do if he is thinking about becoming a free agent is to look like he has nothing left to offer any team.

Green barely has 500 receiving yards over the last TWO-AND-A-HALF YEARS.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see any logic in this at all.  The LAST thing a player wants to do if he is thinking about becoming a free agent is to look like he has nothing left to offer any team.

And, in my mind, that was the issue.

There was ZERO offseason, nor did he get in a full training camp.  He was starting to look a WHOLE lot better towards the end of the season, but still had a ways to go.  IF he were to return and actually have OTAs and TC, I would argue he would be considerably better than last season.  Not saying he would lead the league or anything like that, but a solid contributor.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Week 6 and 7 (Browns and Indy) he played pretty decent.

I'm also of the mindset he coasted this year to avoid injury. Obviously he isn't going to be the beast he was but can be a decent 2 or 3 I think
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 08:39 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: And, in my mind, that was the issue.

There was ZERO offseason, nor did he get in a full training camp.  He was starting to look a WHOLE lot better towards the end of the season, but still had a ways to go.  IF he were to return and actually have OTAs and TC, I would argue he would be considerably better than last season.  Not saying he would lead the league or anything like that, but a solid contributor.

I didn't see what you saw. I saw a less confident and almost fearful receiver. He was much slower and less ball control as well. I think he's just trying to get paid but actually doesn't believe in himself as much as many of us do. His play displayed them characteristics imo. His stats backed it up.

Reply/Quote
Yea, he looked shot. My issue was there was simply no variance to his acceleration in and out of breaks. His routes looked rounded and he did little to stack corners. He could potentially find a role on a team playing out of the slot as a chain mover, but I think his days on the outside are over.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 08:52 PM)Au165 Wrote: Yea, he looked shot. My issue was there was simply no variance to his acceleration in and out of breaks. His routes looked rounded and he did little to stack corners. He could potentially find a role on a team playing out of the slot as a chain mover, but I think his days on the outside are over.

Yep, that's about what I seen too. Yet, do you really think he has confidence to even play in that position? I'm not sure.

Reply/Quote
I thought he played like his legs were made of glass from the knees down.

But seeing those stats. Wow. That is way worse than I expected. I’d still be willing to give him a 1 year prove it contract. I doubt he is going to get many if any decent offers if they see those stats. Hopefully he is able to rehab his image and be a productive player again. And I’d like to see that happen here
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 09:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought he played like his legs were made of glass from the knees down.

But seeing those stats. Wow. That is way worse than I expected. I’d still be willing to give him a 1 year prove it contract. I doubt he is going to get many if any decent offers if they see those stats. Hopefully he is able to rehab his image and be a productive player again. And I’d like to see that happen here

Yes and no. Do you really think he can accelerate his game after the last few years? Sure as heck wouldn't pay him 18mil to find that out. I seriously doubt he would do a team friendly deal unless he had zero offers. Even then, they would pay him more than what his stats are worth for a #3WR.

Reply/Quote
The last few seasons Green fizzled... he could have been the best the Bengals ever had.. health & declining performance prevented him from doing so.. I remember when he lost his cool against that Jaguar guy. He was already declining there imo.
Reply/Quote
If he ever took off a season it was 2019. How could he have needed to take of 2020 to recover?

And a vet like him should not need OTAs and training camp to get sharp.

He just looked shot to me. No explosiveness. No burst. Couldn't get separation out of his cuts. Nothing.

he has made numerous famous hail mary catches in his career. But last year I don't remember seeing him just go up and take the ball out of the air like he used to.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 09:49 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: The last few seasons Green fizzled... he could have been the best the Bengals ever had.. health & declining performance prevented him from doing so.. I remember when he lost his cool against that Jaguar guy. He was already declining there imo.

The Jaguar guy was the best CB in the league that year, and might still be. The following season AJ Green had 46 catches, 694 yrds, and 6 TDs before being lost for the year. I'd say the decline started with that injury.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 09:07 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I thought he played like his legs were made of glass from the knees down.

No thanks on the 1 year prove it contract. We need to move on.
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 10:18 PM)jason Wrote: The Jaguar guy was the best CB in the league that year, and might still be. The following season AJ Green had 46 catches, 694 yrds, and 6 TDs before being lost for the year. I'd say the decline started with that injury.

Your probably on to something there Jason. Although it’s pretty tough to determine. But I think your right. Now, with AD gone, maybe he was used to that and just not determined enough to make a go with a new QB.l if that’s the case, he will retire.

Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 10:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Your probably on to something there Jason. Although it’s pretty tough to determine. But I think your right. Now, with AD gone, maybe he was used to that and just not determined enough to make a go with a new QB.l if that’s the case, he will retire.

We've seen so little of him the past few years that we get it in our heads that AJ Green went downhill when the Bengals started to after 2015. AJ was still really good but missed a lot of games in 2016 (actually wanted to come back, but was shut down by the team). He had 66 catches, 964 yards, and 4 TDs that year. 2017... 75, 1078 yards and 8 TDs. He was the same guy. He hasn't been the same since missing half of 2018 and all of 2019.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 08:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see any logic in this at all.  The LAST thing a player wants to do if he is thinking about becoming a free agent is to look like he has nothing left to offer any team.

I feel this would be 100% true if he was looking for a payday, but that shouldn’t be his main goal at this point in his career.. If all he wants is out of Cinci then the logic makes sense.

If he got hurt in 2020, his chances of getting an opportunity are close to none. If he survived the 2020 season unscathed, some team will give him a chance in preseason and TC. I believe he was so done with ZT and the Bengals that his goal was to not get hurt.

Heck, guys like Shady McCoy find their way onto contenders while providing NOTHING to their team. Why can’t AJ do the same?
Reply/Quote
AJ used to be great at high-pointing balls and competing for tough catches. He was truly a guy that would win most of the time when a QB threw it up for grabs and left it up to him to go up and beat the defender. I saw none of that this year. There were times where he didn't even leave the ground for high throws. Without that, he just doesn't have the same value.
Reply/Quote
(03-01-2021, 10:41 PM)jason Wrote: We've seen so little of him the past few years that we get it in our heads that AJ Green went downhill when the Bengals started to after 2015. AJ was still really good but missed a lot of games in 2016 (actually wanted to come back, but was shut down by the team). He had 66 catches, 964 yards, and 4 TDs that year. 2017... 75, 1078 yards and 8 TDs. He was the same guy. He hasn't been the same since missing half of 2018 and all of 2019.

That's the way I see it too. He's just not the same, and it sucks. He might bounce to a 3 or 2....but I don't think ever more than that. He likely plays a little better with another year of training on the bum ankle, but he'll never even be 2017 AJ Green again.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Im.going to give a left of center opinion.

AJ Green.could not wait to play with JB and vice versa. The greatest QB in college paired
With the WR ready to show the football he still had it. He claimed he was healthy
And ready to rock and roll.

Then the season began. And the losses mounted.
Ive seen all kinds of reasons why AJ Green failed to produce last year.
Heres mine.

Hes tired of losing and simply he thinks Zac Taylor is a joke.
When the Bengals started off 0 and 3 , 0 and 4 last year that took all of the excitement
And enthusiam out of AJ Green.
AJ Green did not forget on how to be a great WR.
The game stopped being fun for him. He doesnt believe in Zac.
And I dont think Zac did him any favors by running him.on the same predictable routes
Over and over. CBs are smart. They study film. They understand leverage.

People say AJ hasnt played in 2 years. Hes getting up in years.
Lest not forget his body hasnt been beat up in 1.5 years.
Thats 600 plus days of no wear and tear.

I see a WR that is tired of losing.
Reply/Quote