Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell as a Bengal
I'm just curious.

Would or could Bell have a super performance like Sunday's if he were a Bengal?
Would Marvin deploy him as wide receiver, tight end, running back etc. the way the Steelers do?
Or would he just utilize him like Hill.

I am wondering how much of his success is coaching, scheming, and Ben--the Steeler's system.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals have used Bernard, as well as other backs in the past, in the same fashion. I don't think it is any Pittsburgh genius or that they are so talent laden.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 07:27 AM)xxlt Wrote: The Bengals have used Bernard, as well as other backs in the past, in the same fashion. I don't think it is any Pittsburgh genius or that they are so talent laden.

Well, I wasn't thinking about genius or talent (though I think the Steelers are pretty talent-laden on offense), just wondering about differences in offensive style and strategy. Sometimes teams seem to change an offense to take advantage or one or two difference makers. Sometimes they don't.  Think of Bettis in his last year as a Ram and the team wasn't utilizing his particular skills. But the Steelers saw him as a player to build their offense around and he achieved his potential as a Steeler. Or think of Demarco Murray moving from Dallas to the Eagles, and the difference in output. Some think Brown wouldn't be a top receiver were he on another team, though Green probably would be.

Bengals have a top receiver and tight end, too, so I was wondering what Bengals fans think Marvin would do if he had Bell--just pound him into the line with an occasional pass pass, or work him in multiple positions like the Steelers? .

In a way it's really more a question about Marvin and the Bengals coaching staff and new offensive coordinator.  Would he be putting up the total yardage with the Bengals he does with the Steelers.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 06:41 PM)Dill Wrote: Well, I wasn't thinking about genius or talent (though I think the Steelers are pretty talent-laden on offense), just wondering about differences in offensive style and strategy. Sometimes teams seem to change an offense to take advantage or one or two difference makers. Sometimes they don't.  Think of Bettis in his last year as a Ram and the team wasn't utilizing his particular skills. But the Steelers saw him as a player to build their offense around and he achieved his potential as a Steeler. Or think of Demarco Murray moving from Dallas to the Eagles, and the difference in output. Some think Brown wouldn't be a top receiver were he on another team, though Green probably would be.

Bengals have a top receiver and tight end, too, so I was wondering what Bengals fans think Marvin would do if he had Bell--just pound him into the line with an occasional pass pass, or work him in multiple positions like the Steelers? .

In a way it's really more a question about Marvin and the Bengals coaching staff and new offensive coordinator.  Would he be putting up the total yardage with the Bengals he does with the Steelers.

When you put it that way - I get it.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(10-04-2016, 03:43 AM)Dill Wrote: I'm just curious.

Would or could Bell have a super performance like Sunday's if he were a Bengal?

Absolutely not. The bengals offensive line is sub par compared to the Steelers. Bell would however fare better than Hill only because he is a superior talent.
In fact the bengals have the worst O line in the division.
Reply/Quote
(10-05-2016, 11:51 PM)Vlad Wrote: Absolutely not. The bengals offensive line is sub par compared to the Steelers.  Bell would however fare better than Hill only because he is a superior talent.
In fact the bengals have the worst O line in the division.

Might Marvin line him up as wide receiver or tight end?
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 12:35 AM)Dill Wrote: Might Marvin line him up as wide receiver or tight end?

neither. he'd line him up just as he has jeremy hill. it would be no different.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2016, 02:27 AM)WildCat Wrote: neither. he'd line him up just as he has jeremy hill. it would be no different.
So Bengals would not be reaping these great yards from scrimmage totals the Steelers get from Bell?
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2016, 10:24 AM)Dill Wrote: So Bengals would not be reaping these great yards from scrimmage totals the Steelers get from Bell?

The assumption so far in this thread is that the Bengals would use him like Hill. But they already utlize Gio the way the steelers use bell. That is an indication that the Bengals would utilize bell's strengths. However, just like the steelers, the Bengals could do nothing about bell's penchant for the chronic and his glass knees.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 09:36 AM)Beaker Wrote: The assumption so far in this thread is that the Bengals would use him like Hill. But they already utlize Gio the way the steelers use bell. That is an indication that the Bengals would utilize bell's strengths. However, just like the steelers, the Bengals could do nothing about bell's penchant for the chronic and his glass knees.

Burfict would be on his team, though. So I sure he would make it through the season ok.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 11:06 AM)Dill Wrote: Burfict would be on his team, though. So I sure he would make it through the season ok.
Reggie Nelson is still out there.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-09-2016, 11:06 AM)Dill Wrote: Burfict would be on his team, though. So I sure he would make it through the season ok.

He would have to face him in practice every day so it would most likely end his career.
Reply/Quote