Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can someone not like "Soul"?
Seriously

Otis Redding, way to early for this man to go and would have done great things.
Ray Charles, more Gospel than anything but that's what made him so good.
James Brown, truly is The Godfather of Soul. The man was a genius.
Gladys Knight, This is a bad ass woman, the best voice and singer in my opinion.
Aretha Franklin, different sound than anyone else. I think the 80's messed her up though.

Hell, an argument can be made for Janis Joplin but that's more Blues though.

I just don't get how someone can listen and say, "THIS IS AWFUL!" unless while they listen they don't understand the feelings welling up inside them and it scares them, lol.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 11:49 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Seriously

Gladys Knight, This is a bad ass woman, the best voice and singer in my opinion.
Aretha Franklin, different sound than anyone else. I think the 80's messed her up though.

I just don't get how someone can listen and say, "THIS IS AWFUL!" unless while they listen they don't understand the feelings welling up inside them and it scares them, lol.

Agreed on all of them.

I really like Sam Cook, Sam & Dave, Booker T & MGs, Stevie, and just about all of the 60's Motown Groups and singers as well.  The Rhythm and Blues man...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Ignorance. Some people were just unlucky enough to have been born stupid.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote

But seriously, soul music is cool. I always recommend a trip to the Stax Museum of American Soul Music in Memphis to anyone interested in soul music. It's one of the best museums I've ever been to.
Reply/Quote
I just picked up "Roots and Grooves" by Maceo Parker, arguably the funkiest Sax player ever.

Disc one is Maceo doing soul tunes with a big band. Sounds a lot like Ray Charles with a little more funky horn work.

But disc two is the bomb. Extended funk jams with the same big band sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Roots-Grooves-CD-Maceo-Parker/dp/B00127I3V8/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_8/178-3719528-9567420
Reply/Quote

Percy Sledge is awesome as well if you are looking for an addition to the list. here is one of my favs from him
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2015, 11:49 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Seriously

would rather listen to blues any day. if joplin is blues... 
Reply/Quote