Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can we fix the team to compete in AFC north?
(12-31-2023, 05:20 PM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: The browns and ravens are the best of the afc right now. Our record against both teams is abysmal over the last several seasons and under Zac Taylor.

The bengals are built to pass the ball and play opportunistic bend but don’t brake defense.

The browns and ravens are built to play smothering defense, run the ball, and pass off their running game. In other words, AFC north football.

I see the browns and ravens as the top teams in the afc right now. Browns might be the only team that can beat the ravens.

When we play the browns, we drop back and pass and get eaten alive from the pass rush. Against the ravens we struggle to run the ball.

The key to win these games next year is defense and establishing the run game. Zac gives up on the run in these games.

Bengals also struggle to stop the run in these games.

How can we adjust next year to beat these teams?

If the bengals want to make noise next year, they will need to get past afc north opponents.

Is there another formula other than defense and running game? It seems like Zac thinks so, but the results haven’t been there other than two seasons of decent success.

How can we improve? What’s the formula to sweep the north?

Please define “abysmal” as it pertains to the Ravens. The Bengals had won four of the previous five entering into this year. The Bengals also won the AFC North two years in a row. Browns and Ravens are going to start bleeding players next year.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Wow, sure is a lot of Karen's in this thread. Here is something positive for the New Year.

Bengals have by far the most cap space in 2024.

Bengals - over 70 million
Ravens - 12.6 million
Steelers - negative almost 6 million
Browns - negative almost 13 million

All teams have free agents, only Ravens and Bengals have true franchise QB's on roster (a year ago Lamar was hurt and people saying he may be done, but likely MVP)

So, we need to draft well, develop the younger players and sign impact free agents. We know now we have a good back up QB. We also are projected to have 9 picks which may help us dump higher salaries and replace them with rookies and proven free agents.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 09:49 PM)Destro Wrote: We are built to compete in the NFC.

Step 1.  Switch sides with an NFC team
Step 2.  ?
Step 3.  Profit

Zac Taylor finally has everything he wants.   I don't see Zac changing his offensive strategy.  They're already talking about keeping Higgins which puts us $50 million deep at WR1 & WR2.

There won't be any money left for wishlist at other positions.  I'm thinking next year may even be worse. 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:37 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I don't have confidence that Burrow will be back to normal at the start of next season, he has shown us more times than not he is not ready (physically), fluke or not. Also that specific injury is concerning as a fan, I think the least he will deal with is chronic pain apparently.

If you look far into the future, Burrow is probably once in an era type QB (or at least, every 10-15 years). We don't get lucky with QBs like that lol, if he doesn't work out, our commentary is just copy and paste - difference being Mike Brown will be dead.

Zac does seem to make a lot of mistakes and his play calling is suspect at times, I think a lot of fans will say that about their team. But the coaches also need time to gain experience to figure themselves out.

Agree with everything you say…but if I’m an owner and I’m drafting a guy like Burrow after the college season he had I’m not handing the keys over to a guy trying to figure himself out. Taylor trying to figure himself out resulted in a generational talent like Burrow ending the season getting his knee reconstructed.

Ironically that inexperienced ineptness from Taylor resulted in us drafting Chase.

Besides Taylor sucking so bad that they had a chance to pick #1 and get Burrow and then subsequently getting Burrow hurt to get Chase…what has Taylor brought to this franchise that any other coach in the history of the NFL couldn’t have done?

People credit Taylor with changing the culture of the franchise but honestly I call bullshit. It was 100% Burrow. Does anybody believe there would have been a culture change if Burrow was elsewhere? What about when players contracts were up, did they want to stay in this new found culture under Zac? Especially after 2 semi-successful seasons?
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:40 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: There were multiple instances where it was evident there was something going on with Burrow and the inaction of the coaching staff led to further avoidable injuries.  

It cannot just be a coincidence that Burrow was wearing a “device” on both body parts that ended up getting injured.  It was clear there was something going on with the calf and hand/wrist prior to the events that resulted in him missing time.

Right, so will we ever hear someone admit a mistake on that part? If the answer is no, we're going nowhere. At this point, they're legally obligated to lie or the Bengals will be sued, lol. So we won't hear a thing ever again.

Players play with "injuries" all the time but I remember thinking we have got to be the only team int he league playing their starting QB hampered with an injury multiple times when they have a healthy backup QB.

It reminded me of the Browns game where Baker had that shoulder issue all year, they just needed to run the ball with Chubb to beat the Steelers and Baker threw 4 picks. What are you doing Stefanski?
Reply/Quote
Fixing things is actually kind of straightforward.

Use Free Agency AND the draft to retool the DL and also get a real veteran safety with creds. ESPECIALLY we need new blood at DT and also need ends that can set the edge.

Offensively a lot of the issues seem to be tendencies and scheme. We are too predictable and have a bad tendency to use formations that hang the OL out to dry. It also doesn't help that aside from Chase we lack speed on offense. I hope Chase Brown really works out and gets more snaps and that Yoshi and Chuck Sizzle work out. Unfortunately our lack of snaps and targets for them means we just do not know.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:38 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: I know, I know we went to back to back AFCC games but still didn't bring home the real trophy. That's like finishing 3rd or 4th in the Indy 500, nobody cares or remembers. After 55 years nothing else matters but the Lombardi.

I told my Browns "friends" I hope they make he superbowl and lose on the last play. That hurts more than missing the playoffs, and only at that point, will they know. I remember my immediate reaction to losing the superbowl was maybe it would have been better if we didn't win any playoff games that year because 2nd place is just the 1st loser anyway lol. I will remember that SB run for life regardless if burrow never takes us back.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:52 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Wow, sure is a lot of Karen's in this thread. Here is something positive for the New Year.

It's not like they were just eliminated from the playoffs basically or anything. lol. Or that they're the worst team in the division somehow...

I don't know how to celebrate losing.
Reply/Quote

Worked well the last 2 years.Ravens barely beat us early in the year and we lead them 10-7 when Joe went down. We lost the first game vs the Browns. when Joe was like 65%. We then had Jake for 2 Pitt games. Don’t think that’s some indictment . We need a run game for damn sure.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote

Guess Zac really wants to be Sean McVay after all.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:53 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Agree with everything you say…but if I’m an owner and I’m drafting a guy like Burrow after the college season he had I’m not handing the keys over to a guy trying to figure himself out.   Taylor trying to figure himself out resulted in a generational talent like Burrow ending the season getting his knee reconstructed.  

Ironically that inexperienced ineptness from Taylor resulted in us drafting Chase.  

Besides Taylor sucking so bad that they had a chance to pick #1 and get Burrow and then subsequently getting Burrow hurt to get Chase…what has Taylor brought to this franchise that any other coach in the history of the NFL couldn’t have done?  

People credit Taylor with changing the culture of the franchise but honestly I call bullshit.   It was 100% Burrow.   Does anybody believe there would have been a culture change if Burrow was elsewhere?   What about when players contracts were up, did they want to stay in this new found culture under Zac?   Especially after 2 semi-successful seasons?

You can assume all you want  but facts speak for themselves,  ZT as the head coach has transformed this team to a contender with a top tier QB and totally flipping roster, hell we went 3-3 with as tough of a schedule of 6 straight games this season with backup qb and leaking defense. 
Reply/Quote
I will add that Zac has to ask himself if he has the person available in every coaching position. If not then he has to switch. You can’t be a nice guy.

Secondly, every player in the defensive backfield has to be at every workout there is. No such thing as voluntary for them.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:53 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: People credit Taylor with changing the culture of the franchise but honestly I call bullshit.   It was 100% Burrow.   Does anybody believe there would have been a culture change if Burrow was elsewhere?   What about when players contracts were up, did they want to stay in this new found culture under Zac?   Especially after 2 semi-successful seasons?

They gave the coach of the cavs, coincidentally also named mike brown, coach of the year when lebron won them 60+ games and took them to the finals that year (I think), which was an utter joke. Dude did nothing but let LBJ run the show. It's tough with Zac, because it's probably the same thing. As a coach you gotta take the blame and give the credit, you're making your millions anyway.

If Zac was doing his job he wouldn't have let burrow play early in the season.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:01 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I will add that Zac has to ask himself if he has the person available in every coaching position. If not then he has to switch. You can’t be a nice guy. 

Isn't Zac the player's coach? I think he's probably the nice guy. The bengals are the nice organization, letting people stay well past their welcome. We're a family, we're a small company and we take care of each other! Ever hear that from a job before, lol.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 10:59 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Worked well the last 2 years.Ravens barely beat us early in the year and we lead them 10-7 when Joe went down. We lost the first game vs the Browns. when Joe was like 65%. We then had Jake for 2 Pitt games. Don’t think that’s some edictment. We need a run game for damn sure.

This guy gonna be "those two years" in 2032.  Hilarious Games run 60 minutes at a time. Don't matter what you did in the first half when you fold in the second half. Damn sure doesn't matter what last year was. 

Mason Rudolf and the two weeks from a Nugenix commercial Joe Flacco winning games and people are in Will Smith slapped Chris Rock timelines. 
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:00 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guess Zac really wants to be Sean McVay after all.

Remember when Joe Mixon was all about being like Leveon Bell? When you try to emulate, you just become a fake.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:12 PM)Destro Wrote: Remember when Joe Mixon was all about being like Leveon Bell? When you try to emulate, you just become a fake.

Is that what he's been doing waiting behind the LOS all year? lol
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:16 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Is that what he's been doing waiting behind the LOS all year? lol

Well, Bell hasn't rushed in years....so, possibly.
Reply/Quote
We're all doomed!  We'll all be lucky to be alive next season!  The end of the world will have come and gone and the surviving few will forget football ever existed!  I'm not pessimistic though..I'm looking forward to baseball season! And if the Reds don't win the World Series I may succumb to being my normal self..Football will still exist though. Even the end of the world can't stop it!  Who Dey   
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2023, 11:09 PM)Destro Wrote: This guy gonna be "those two years" in 2032.  Hilarious Games run 60 minutes at a time. Don't matter what you did in the first half when you fold in the second half. Damn sure doesn't matter what last year was. 

Mason Rudolf and the two weeks from a Nugenix commercial Joe Flacco winning games and people are in Will Smith slapped Chris Rock timelines. 

No I won’t. I’m just not knee jerk and unrealistic.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote