Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have the worst rushing offense in the NFL
(11-09-2017, 05:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The only thing surprising is that I thought Lazor prioritized rushing and quick passes in his offense. But maybe there's just nothing he can even try to overcome the fact that there are really no OL that get push off the LOS except for maybe Andre Smith (at least back in the day). This OL was built to be a zone-blocking OL that utilized athleticism and movement, not to be power guys who drive their man off the ball and create holes that way. And we know how well the Bengals OL has been when it comes to actually executing and succeeding this year with that athleticism and movement (hint: terrible).

Iirc, Lazor historically has a history of running the ball less than the league average as an OC. Not that he could even if he wanted to here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 08:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Our blocking technique, if you wanna call it that, on running plays is awful. I'm not sure if anyone even keeps this stat but I'd venture to say we have the most plays where our RB is hit at or behind the LOS in the league.\

And this isn't the first season we've been near the bottom in rushing !

Rock On Paul Alexander Rock On

The technique the Bengals use to run block is one I see at my local high school on Friday night. The center snaps the ball, the linemen stand up, then try to block someone, anyone. That’s never effective past maybe middle school.

The best lines use leverage and timed footwork to open holes for the running backs. Footwork? Oh yes! That’s how the best athletes time whatever move they need to make. Let’s pretend for a minute that Cedric Ogbuehi and Clint Boling knew what they were doing and Andy Dalton called a run through the left side B-gap. Against a 4-3 line the technique is different than the technique to open that gap against a 3-4 line. The linemen know that, or at least I think they do.

Anyway, the best offensive lines have players coached to keep the pad level low, push with the pads while the legs and core do the work. The direction of the block is controlled by the initial footwork.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 10:46 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: The technique the Bengals use to run block is one I see at my local high school on Friday night.  The center snaps the ball, the linemen stand up, then try to block someone, anyone.  That’s never effective past maybe middle school.

The best lines use leverage and timed footwork to open holes for the running backs.  Footwork?  Oh yes!  That’s how the best athletes time whatever move they need to make.  Let’s pretend for a minute that Cedric Ogbuehi and Clint Boling knew what they were doing and Andy Dalton called a run through the left side B-gap.  Against a 4-3 line the technique is different than the technique to open that gap against a 3-4 line.  The linemen know that, or at least I think they do.  

Anyway, the best offensive lines have players coached to keep the pad level low, push with the pads while the legs and core do the work.  The direction of the block is controlled by the initial footwork.

I read Evan Mathis talk about Alexander's scheme. It's a passive scheme where our lineman let the defensive lineman engage them. Some teams allow their offensive lineman to be aggressive and attack.

We do seem to have a lot of finesse guys on the line...which I don't like.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 10:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read Evan Mathis talk about Alexander's scheme. It's a passive scheme where our lineman let the defensive lineman engage them. Some teams allow their offensive lineman to be aggressive and attack.

We do seem to have a lot of finesse guys on the line...which I don't like.

Go on YouTube and watch Dante Scarnecchia’s offensive lines in New England. I hate their cheating guts but his lines have the best technique in the league. It’s near perfect.

The Steelers offensive line, however, is overrated. They just hold a lot.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 06:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well considering we don't run the ball much.. and last game just had 30 odd some offensive plays id say that makes sense...

plus it feeds the horrible OL narriative

They only had 30 odd offensive plays because of their inability to move the ball, primarily because of the OL.

It's not a narrative about the OL.  Last game's offensive stats are just supporting data for an empirical fact.  That fact is that the OL blows, and everyone knows it.  Pretty much every serious follower of this team knew it, going into the season.  The coaches know it, and are apparently powerless to do anything about it.  The front office decided that they were going to do nothing about it.  And, here we all are, talking about it.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They only had 30 odd offensive plays because of their inability to move the ball, primarily because of the OL.

It's not a narrative about the OL.  Last game's offensive stats are just supporting data for an empirical fact.  That fact is that the OL blows, and everyone knows it.  Pretty much every serious follower of this team knew it, going into the season.  The coaches know it, and are apparently powerless to do anything about it.  The front office decided that they were going to do nothing about it.  And, here we all are, talking about it.

Also....the defense couldn't get off of the field....even in the first quarter.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-09-2017, 11:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They only had 30 odd offensive plays because of their inability to move the ball, primarily because of the OL.

And Mike Brown wants to win.

How could Mike Brown have not known we were on very thin ice O-line wise going into this season ?

He just doesn't CARE about winning, it's not his passion.
Reply/Quote
In so we can blame Dalton.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote