Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can you justify NOT starting AJ McCarron the rest of the season?
How can you justify it?

At this point, us and the Bengals know what we have in Dalton. Andy has reached his potential and his ceiling is somewhere between below average (when he has a bad offensive line and offense) to above average (when everything on the offense is perfect).

So, why not start McCarron and see what you have in the guy? See if hes the answer at quarterback and see if hes an upgrade over Dalton. The season is all but over (no way this team is good enough to make the playoffs).
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The why not start AJ? You basically destroy Daltons career here and McCarron likely won't do better behind this line...so you'd then need to find a new QB for next year too.

Fixing a line is hard. Fixing a line and finding a starting QB is near impossible.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:15 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The why not start AJ? You basically destroy Daltons career here and McCarron likely won't do better behind this line...so you'd then need to find a new QB for next year too.

Fixing a line is hard. Fixing a line and finding a starting QB is near impossible.

How are we destroying Dalton's career if we use the rest of the season to evaluate AJ? 
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:17 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How are we destroying Dalton's career if we use the rest of the season to evaluate AJ? 

Your QB is your leader. When you bench him you signal to the team that he's the issue. That leadership is done then.
Reply/Quote
no QB can perform without any running game and with D lineman in his face up the middle a second after the ball is snapped.

I said this in another post but this season could be completely different if they had resigned Whit and Zeitler and replaced Bodine.

Organization is run by stubborn  men who won't admit mistakes and with no vision or courage to make changes when needed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Your QB is your leader. When you bench him you signal to the team that he's the issue. That leadership is done then.

I dont really care at this point. I'de rather evaluate AJ and see if hes the guy.

Reply/Quote
Yeah once you start watching the rush as a QB it's over.

I've honestly never saw defensive lineman get unblocked shots at the QB before. It happens here a lot.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How can you justify it?

At this point, us and the Bengals know what we have in Dalton. Andy has reached his potential and his ceiling is somewhere between below average (when he has a bad offensive line and offense) to above average (when everything on the offense is perfect).

So, why not start McCarron and see what you have in the guy? See if hes the answer at quarterback and see if hes an upgrade over Dalton. The season is all but over (no way this team is good enough to make the playoffs).

Why would you start AJ McCarron?  Is the OL suddenly gonna block better for him?
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I dont really care at this point. I'de rather evaluate AJ and see if hes the guy.

This fantasy land you all live in where AJ McCarron is some world beater QB is crazy... 

what do you base it off of.

While marvin is still the coach hes gonna try to win games...  You wanna lose the locker room pull the starting QB its a good way to loss fans too as its the big F U we are tanking the season move

DALTON is not the reason we are losing games we are getting Dominated in the trenches...
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:24 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yeah once you start watching the rush as a QB it's over.

I've honestly never saw defensive lineman get unblocked shots at the QB before. It happens here a lot.

This...

But AJ will answer those issues...because he's another body for people to abuse on. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
Nothing I have seen from McCarron suggests that he will be a successful long-term starter. Yes, he made the one play that would have won us a playoff game. One play. How did he look the rest of that game? How did he look in the three regular season starts he made? How did he look this preseason? For the life of me, I don't know what people have seen from the guy that perpetuates this idea that we're just sitting on some secret juggernaut waiting to be unleashed.

Furthermore, McCarron is an even less mobile QB than Dalton is. How exactly do you expect him to perform behind this offensive line, after having not played in an NFL game in almost two years? Talk about an easy trip to IR. He'd get pulverized, and Dalton would be right back in the game before you know it.

McCarron is not the guy here. He will never be the guy here. It's time for fans to accept it, whether they like it or not. It's simply not happening. The only question now is whether or not we get anything out of him when he leaves.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:34 AM)Big Boss Wrote: Nothing I have seen from McCarron suggests that he will be a successful long-term starter.  Yes, he made the one play that would have won us a playoff game.  One play.  How did he look the rest of that game?  How did he look in the three regular season starts he made?  For the life of me, I don't know what people have seen from the guy that perpetuates this idea that we're just sitting on a Super Bowl caliber QB.    

Furthermore, McCarron is an even less mobile QB than Dalton is.  How exactly do you expect him to perform behind this offensive line, having not played in an NFL game in almost two years?  Talk about an easy trip to IR.

This.

Reply/Quote
Step 1: Protect the QB.

Step 2: QB has time to digest what is in front of him, gets comfortable in the pocket and makes plays.

Step 3: Get the ball to our skill players.

We can't get passed step 1. It's amazing the value we almost got out of McCarron why are we going to set him up for failure to drive down his value?
Reply/Quote
NFL.com Draft Breakdown for AJ McCarron...which reads well with the game tape we have of him:

Quote:ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Well-versed operating a pro-style offense and makes NFL-style progression reads. Is comfortable working from under center and in the gun. Mobile enough to sidestep the first wave. Good field vision, timing and anticipation. Very good short-to-intermediate accuracy (evidenced by a 66.9 percent career completion rate). Throws with accuracy on the move -- good wrist snap. Delivers the ball under duress. Has enough arm strength to fit the ball into spots. Consistent throwing mechanics -- has a smooth stroke. Good caretaker and decision-maker. Mature leader. Smart and articulate. Highly competitive team leader -- holds teammates accountable. Very well-prepared. Directed back-to-back national championship offenses.
WEAKNESSES Surrounded by an NFL-caliber supporting cast with a very good offensive line that provides a lot of time to dissect the field. Does not have a big-time, vertical arm. Average athlete. Makes occasional bone-headed decisions. Heaves the deep ball and forces receivers to make adjustments. Does not drive the deep out.
DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 2-3
BOTTOM LINE An efficient game-managing quarterback who has shown he can carry an offense at times throughout his career, but more often is dependent on a terrific supporting cast. Grades out most highly for his intangibles and decision-making, knowing when and where to go with the ball, and could earn an NFL starting job.

Reply/Quote
McCarron sucks and if we want to get anything out of him (if we win the grievance) we better hide that fact for as long as we can.

Dalton had a career year under Hue in 2015. No other injuries and as soon as McCarron stepped it the offense stalled. We won, but the offense looked nothing like it did under Dalton. If Dalton's not the answer fine. But McCarron isn't either.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Just some quick thoughts that popped into mind before I read the replies:

1. Dalton is likely better than McCarron
2. our o-line is so bad we will immediately declare that we can't judge McCarron fairly the second he has a ho-hum or bad game
3. Dalton is going to be here for another few years and McCarron is actively trying to escape
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:43 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: BOTTOM LINE An efficient game-managing quarterback who has shown he can carry an offense at times throughout his career, but more often is dependent on a terrific supporting cast. Grades out most highly for his intangibles and decision-making, knowing when and where to go with the ball, and could earn an NFL starting job.

So you replace Andy Dalton with Andy Dalton 2.0.  Neat.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Your QB is your leader. When you bench him you signal to the team that he's the issue. That leadership is done then.

This.

/thread
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(11-06-2017, 11:49 AM)Big Boss Wrote: So you replace Andy Dalton with Andy Dalton 2.0.  Neat.

Essentially every draft write up says he is Dalton...

So, you're practically back to step one...I just think Dalton is a better athlete. 

Reply/Quote
I wouldn't do it but if I did, the only reason would be to keep Andy from getting seriously injured. It's pretty miraculous that he hasn't been so far.

If Driskel came back off IR, I might give him a shot at it, but only because he can run a little and the shot he would take might not be so direct.

If anything, Andy deserves a medal for courage and toughness. The only real criticism I have of him is that he's not screaming at the people responsible for this mess.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote