Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Bodine grade in last two games
(03-05-2018, 06:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Absolutely.  Let’s see what a new coach with new thinking does with not just Russell Bodine but with Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher as well.  Those three guys were terrific in college so let’s see if there’s anything left for Frank Pollack to build upon.  If not, there are always free agency, trades, and the draft.

Agree 100%
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Draft a center...Let them start for 4 or 5 years with no competition...REPEAT...This has been going on for 20 years almost...Gutcheck, Cook and now Bodine...Is it really all that surprising??? And the terrible part is that Paul Brown's first ever draft pick for the Bengals was a Center but his son is too damn dumb to figure it out
Reply/Quote
I have liked Westerman all along, I think he played well in pre-season as well as the reg. season. Looking back over his career I see that he has always played mean. Redmond did a good job also. It is not the guards that are the problem.
Reply/Quote
So, no one can tell us how Bodine graded the final two games of the season?

I know that I've looked high and low, and came up empty. I don't pay for one of the subscription services..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2018, 08:03 PM)SYLVIA Wrote: I have liked Westerman all along, I think he played well in pre-season as well as the reg. season. Looking back over his career I see that he has always played mean. Redmond did a good job also. It is not the guards that are the problem.

True but it is a small sample size to judge from especially with Redmond.

Westerman as you say i thought has always looked good.

(03-06-2018, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: So, no one can tell us how Bodine graded the final two games of the season?

I know that I've looked high and low, and came up empty.  I don't pay for one of the subscription services..

Maybe Truck talked everyone out of PFF. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Everything I've read has suggested that we played 6 games after the scheme change. That's when FiK noticed the directional blocking, and that's how many games Hobson himself said we played after Lazor switched it up.

Not sure where people are getting 2 games from. There was a clear difference from the last Browns game forward. I believe we averaged a whopping 4.6 YPC after that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Not sure exactly how Jethro graded out last two but entire OL looked much better at end of year.

So guessing he improved but still would not hurt to upgrade though.

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
In regards to this conversation without quoting any specific person.....

With new coaches that are on the same page and with the Piano man gone, Bodine might as well be a rookie IMO. He's going to have to find his spot and fit. Might be he's a right guard or a right tackle. Perhaps none of the above. But if the new coaches want him back I'm guessing it's not to be a center unless Anderson just forgot how to or never really knew how to coach lineman and the new coaches feel there's some gross improvements he can make in technique that will revolutionize his game.

Regardless, if Bodine is back it in a role that fits his skillset.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2018, 06:54 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I like Redmond's physicality for sure. He has a little nasty to him which Pollack likes.

You could be right that Redmond was the best, i saw some nice run blocking from him especially against the Lions when Brian Hill
was running all over them. Westerman is just a very solid pass blocker, he needs to work on his run blocking some more. Always
said that Westerman's play reminds me of Zeitler's.

We might be just fine at Guard is i guess what i am getting to. Moving Boling to full time LT might be in the cards yah never know.

Might just have to re-sign Andre for a one year deal, have Pollack coach up Fisher and draft a Center early.

I think they should look long and hard at Boling to LT.  Yes, it was two games, but he handled two of the best in Ziggy Ansah and Suggs.  He is a solid guard with good pulling skills that could benefit him as a LT with his agility.  I know he played tackle in college.  Unless they get McGlinchy, I would rather go with a known and play Westerman and Redmond as the guards, and look for a RT (now that Orlando Brown will surely fall) in the draft and also get a Center to push (out) Bodine.  

Frank Ragnow would be my choice.  The injury to Billy Price scares the crap out of me....a bit longer tear and he was out for the season. On a bench press?  After practicing for weeks to compete in that?  And I am only 190 lbs and can throw the bar up 15 times right now, without any regular bench training (it isn't a very helpful swimming exercise).  Just kind of shocked me.  

If the Bengals went in to next season with a line like:

Boling-Westerman-Ragnow-Redmond-Fisher/Draft pick

I would be pretty excited for the offense.  
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 01:37 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Everything I've read has suggested that we played 6 games after the scheme change. That's when FiK noticed the directional blocking, and that's how many games Hobson himself said we played after Lazor switched it up.

Not sure where people are getting 2 games from. There was a clear difference from the last Browns game forward. I believe we averaged a whopping 4.6 YPC after that.

Yep, the last 6 games, started with the Browns.

Must of just been because we won the last 2 that knocked the Lions and Ravens out of the Playoffs why people say the last 2.

(03-07-2018, 09:09 AM)Stewy Wrote: In regards to this conversation without quoting any specific person.....

With new coaches that are on the same page and with the Piano man gone, Bodine might as well be a rookie IMO.  He's going to have to find his spot and fit.  Might be he's a right guard or a right tackle.  Perhaps none of the above.  But if the new coaches want him back I'm guessing it's not to be a center unless Anderson just forgot how to or never really knew how to coach lineman and the new coaches feel there's some gross improvements he can make in technique that will revolutionize his game.

Always thought Bodine would make a better Guard than Center anyways coming out of NC...

(03-07-2018, 09:30 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I think they should look long and hard at Boling to LT.  Yes, it was two games, but he handled two of the best in Ziggy Ansah and Suggs.  He is a solid guard with good pulling skills that could benefit him as a LT with his agility.  I know he played tackle in college.  Unless they get McGlinchy, I would rather go with a known and play Westerman and Redmond as the guards, and look for a RT (now that Orlando Brown will surely fall) in the draft and also get a Center to push (out) Bodine.  

Frank Ragnow would be my choice.  The injury to Billy Price scares the crap out of me....a bit longer tear and he was out for the season. On a bench press?  After practicing for weeks to compete in that?  And I am only 190 lbs and can throw the bar up 15 times right now, without any regular bench training (it isn't a very helpful swimming exercise).  Just kind of shocked me.  

If the Bengals went in to next season with a line like:

Boling-Westerman-Ragnow-Redmond-Fisher/Draft pick

I would be pretty excited for the offense.  

Same here, Boling looked really good at LT when he played Suggs especially and we all know how great of a player Suggs is.

He really improved from the Lions game to the Ravens game. This should definately be in the cards as i said as Boling is more
proven than any OT we would get in the crapshoot Draft. We should sign Byron Bell or bring Andre back as insurance in case
Fisher doesn't improve as well.

I liked Ragnow just as much as Price before the pectoral injury. Definately like him better after and James Daniels.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:09 AM)Stewy Wrote: In regards to this conversation without quoting any specific person.....

With new coaches that are on the same page and with the Piano man gone, Bodine might as well be a rookie IMO.  He's going to have to find his spot and fit.  Might be he's a right guard or a right tackle.  Perhaps none of the above.  But if the new coaches want him back I'm guessing it's not to be a center unless Anderson just forgot how to or never really knew how to coach lineman and the new coaches feel there's some gross improvements he can make in technique that will revolutionize his game.

Believe this paragraph to be true

Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same here, Boling looked really good at LT when he played Suggs especially and we all know how great of a player Suggs is.

He really improved from the Lions game to the Ravens game. This should definately be in the cards as i said as Boling is more
proven than any OT we would get in the crapshoot Draft. We should sign Byron Bell or bring Andre back as insurance in case
Fisher doesn't improve as well.

Should Notre Dame Guard Quenton Nelson fall to the Bengals and be chosen, then Boling as a Left Tackle option becomes even more likely and acceptable in my mind.

Marvin appears to be on record that Boling won't be moved permanently to left tackle, however, Boling as a left tackle fall back option, if say we get Quenton Nelson, could work out.

Nelson may go before we pick, however, or Marvin may mean what he says about Boling and possibly target a 1st round left tackle.

We will know their General Plan for the Offensive Line in less than two months and I want to be Excited about what they end up doing.
Reply/Quote
One thing to consider about moving Boling to LT.....wouldn't he command more cash in that role?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 04:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: One thing to consider about moving Boling to LT.....wouldn't he command more cash in that role?

I think he is signed through 2019 and I would hope that would not factor into any decision.

Just getting the left tackle issue fixed should be the goal but who knows how the front office would view this.

I lean toward moving Boling if we were to say get a Quenton Nelson at guard.

I want some talent infused into the O-line somewhere versus a reshuffle with little talent added.

Adding say a top guard and center then moving Boling or Boling stays at guard but add a top left tackle & center via draft.

Add one or two thoroughbreds somewhere on that line and not just move what may be our only thoroughbred around.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:30 PM)depthchart Wrote: Should Notre Dame Guard Quenton Nelson fall to the Bengals and be chosen, then Boling as a Left Tackle option becomes even more likely and acceptable in my mind.

Marvin appears to be on record that Boling won't be moved permanently to left tackle, however, Boling as a left tackle fall back option, if say we get Quenton Nelson, could work out.

Nelson may go before we pick, however, or Marvin may mean what he says about Boling and possibly target a 1st round left tackle.

We will know their General Plan for the Offensive Line in less than two months and I want to be Excited about what they end up doing.

Yeah, Nelson is that type of player that if he falls to us you have to take him. Probowl Guard soon enough, one of the
best Guard prospects to come out in years and he can also play OT and has long arms. Trading down and grabbing
either McGlinchey or Kolton Miller also sounds like a possibility.

(03-07-2018, 04:04 PM)Wyche Wrote: One thing to consider about moving Boling to LT.....wouldn't he command more cash in that role?

Yeah, we would have to restructure his contract accordingly. Right now he is cheap even for a Guard since he is solid
and as we saw is very versatile. Has even played Center at times, just happy we have Pollack now instead of PA who
always played favorites instead of trying to get the best O-line onto the field. Bodine was not a good Center, he might
of actually made a decent Guard, but that was never tried.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, but Marv squashed that rumor.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:08 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe this paragraph to be true

Can't be true. Andersen never coached Bodine. Smirk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Must of just been because we won the last 2 that knocked the Lions and Ravens out of the Playoffs why people say the last 2.

The reason I have always thought it was just the last two is because so many people claim the big difference was the play of Redmon and Westerman.

But now you are saying that we ran the ball well with Og and Hopkins starting.  So I guess that means Redmon and Westerman really didn't make that difference.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 05:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The reason I have always thought it was just the last two is because so many people claim the big difference was the play of Redmon and Westerman.

But now you are saying that we ran the ball well with Og and Hopkins starting.  So I guess that means Redmon and Westerman really didn't make that difference.

Just means the switched up scheme helped everybody is all.

Took too long to start Westerman and Redmond and put Boling at LT as usual.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Took too long to start Westerman and Redmond and put Boling at LT as usual.

But you can't make this claim if the line was run blocking so well before Richmond and Westerman got to play.
Reply/Quote