Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did Burfict do?
Wasn't able to watch the game. How much did he play? How well did he perform?
Reply/Quote
He did okay. Stats show he had 4 tackles and 3 assists. It looked like he might have been a little rusty at times. One play I recall he missed pretty bad on a tackle he should have made in the backfield. Other than that I didn't notice too many errors but I didn't see every defensive play.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
He did ok

I'm not sure what his snap count was but I don't think it was real high. He did have one really good run stuff at the LOS but it was negated by a personal foul on MJ. Little rust I'm sure
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: He did ok

I'm not sure what his snap count was but I don't think it was real high. He did have one really good run stuff at the LOS but it was negated by a personal foul on MJ. Little rust I'm sure

He played 53% of the snaps according to Lance.

https://espn1530.iheart.com/featured/lance-mcalister/content/2018-10-08-bengals-snap-counts-from-sunday/
Reply/Quote
I think Burfict is still picking up the defense too. Vigil had to line him up a couple times.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:55 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: He did okay. Stats show he had 4 tackles and 3 assists. It looked like he might have been a little rusty at times. One play I recall he missed pretty bad on a tackle he should have made in the backfield. Other than that I didn't notice too many errors but I didn't see every defensive play.

That's the only negative I saw too; he had 2 nice tackles that were stops (one seemed like a TFL, but PFR didn't attribute one to him) and that one dreadful MT.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 10:50 AM)Tomkat Wrote: Wasn't able to watch the game.  How much did he play?  How well did he perform?

Played 50% of the snaps. A couple of his bigger plays weren't even recorded on the stat line. There was one jet sweep where Burfict read the play and blew up the LT knocking him five yards into the back field rerouting the runner inside. Now the trailing backer missed the tackle and it was an 8 yard gain, but those are the kind of things he brings to the table. There was another play where he was in zone and he abandoned his zone to pick up a back who was completely uncovered that Tannehill was trying to get the ball to. Instead Tannehill had to eat the ball and throw it out of bounds.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure what his snap count was but I don't think it was real high.

Just looked it up on pro football reference.  They show 34 snaps which put him at 53% of defensive plays.  So that's rather low compared to his usual work load from last year where he averaged about 80%. It was his first game back so I'm sure it will increase closer to his average from last year.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
The stat line may not have been impressive but our defense is better with him out there.

He jumped Hardy Nickerson a** on one play for not making the tackle.

He is the energy and enthusiasm we need on defense, give him time this was his first game back

I also think he played smart and under control, almost like he's well aware of the new rules and that he's got a target on his back
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:14 AM)George Cantstandya Wrote: Just looked it up on pro football reference.  They show 34 snaps which put him at 53% of defensive plays.  So that's rather low compared to his usual work load from last year where he averaged about 80%.  

I wonder if the heat played a part in him being a little gassed at times? It was a scorcher yesterday.

I thought he played fairly well for his first game back. He made more good plays than bad.

He hates the Steelers with a passion so I’m sure he’s going to be pumped up for Sunday.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:08 AM)Au165 Wrote: Played 50% of the snaps. A couple of his bigger plays weren't even recorded on the stat line. There was one jet sweep where Burfict read the play and blew up the LT knocking him five yards into the back field rerouting the runner inside. Now the trailing backer missed the tackle and it was an 8 yard gain, but those are the kind of things he brings to the table. There was another play where he was in zone and he abandoned his zone to pick up a back who was completely uncovered that Tannehill was trying to get the ball to. Instead Tannehill had to eat the ball and throw it out of bounds.

LOVE Tez!   He's just such a smart player.   Just wish we could get him a 3 down middle backer who's got similar quality.    I honestly would trade up to get a premier one.   It's so key to this defense getting into the top ten range.

LB and OL in 2019.  Two biggest priorities.
Reply/Quote
You definitely can feel a change in intensity with him out there.

Also - our defense overall played a good game IMO. Even though our front four were yet again not getting much pressure until Tunsil went out, the only offensive TD they scored is when Kenyan Drake beat Nickerson. WHY ARE OUR LBS STILL ON AN ISLAND AGAINST RBS?!

Gore ran well, so run defense is still a bit of an issue. But man, the only other TD they scored is when Grant returned it for a TD on a punt. D locked down after the first TD.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:22 AM)3wt Wrote: LOVE Tez!   He's just such a smart player.   Just wish we could get him a 3 down middle backer who's got similar quality.    I honestly would trade up to get a premier one.   It's so key to this defense getting into the top ten range.

LB and OL in 2019.  Two biggest priorities.

Completely agree.

Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:22 AM)thillan Wrote:  WHY ARE OUR LBS STILL ON AN ISLAND AGAINST RBS?!

You can't double everyone, and you never double a HB in pass coverage. All we hear around here is we can't play "soft" zone defense (hilarious in itself) which means everyone wants man. Well when you go man you leave your backers on an island with HB's and TE's. Zone actually keeps the HB's in front of multiple people or with corners down field, but it's too "soft" for people here apparently. I tried explaining that man was not this magic bullet everyone wanted to pretend it was but you still see it thrown around a lot here. Defenses are multiple in scheme and every defense you run has holes, it comes down to your players abilities and the QB's ability to diagnose and deliver before getting hit.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:19 AM)corpjet Wrote: The stat line may not have been impressive but our defense is better with him out there.

He jumped Hardy Nickerson a** on one play for not making the tackle.

He is the energy and enthusiasm we need on defense, give him time this was his first game back

I also think he played smart and under control, almost like he's well aware of the new rules and that he's got a target on his back

"smart and under control" is a MUST next week against Pitt where he usually lacks both. He knows them and their offense so I'd imagine he'll be in there for at least 80% of the snaps barring any injury or stupidity...
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:22 AM)thillan Wrote: You definitely can feel a change in intensity with him out there.

Also - our defense overall played a good game IMO. Even though our front four were yet again not getting much pressure until Tunsil went out, the only offensive TD they scored is when Kenyan Drake beat Nickerson. WHY ARE OUR LBS STILL ON AN ISLAND AGAINST RBS?!

Gore ran well, so run defense is still a bit of an issue. But man, the only other TD they scored is when Grant returned it for a TD on a punt. D locked down after the first TD.
Funny you mention that. After we Johnson's TD I told a friend, "it looks like big Mo has shifted", then on 3rd and 23 Drake took a dump off and ran by 3 players to get a 1st down. I thought for sure it was going to take the wind out of us, but to our credit it didn't.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:35 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Funny you mention that. After we Johnson's TD I told a friend, "it looks like big Mo has shifted", then on 3rd and 23 Drake took a dump off and ran by 3 players to get a 1st down. I thought for sure it was going to take the wind out of us, but to our credit it didn't.

SO much of the game is mental & emotional.   I've seen championship teams win just because they have the will to win, and setbacks don't make them fold.

Our second half performance was really encouraging.  It's going to be a long season.  If we can stay healthy and get our injured players back online I think we're going to get nothing but better as the season progresses.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:35 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Funny you mention that. After we Johnson's TD I told a friend, "it looks like big Mo has shifted", then on 3rd and 23 Drake took a dump off and ran by 3 players to get a 1st down. I thought for sure it was going to take the wind out of us, but to our credit it didn't.

I know people seem to love Nick Vigil, but this is the 3rd time I believe he's missed an open field tackle on 3rd down. He's a liability on open field tackles.

Tackles don't tell the whole story. From what I've seen, he's made a lot of simple tackles, has made one good play in pass coverage this season (it was yesterday), and just cannot get the man when he's alone. 

Just my perspective though. I still have faith in his because he does bring some athleticism, and I don't think it's horrible to have him out there by any means.
Reply/Quote
(10-08-2018, 11:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: You can't double everyone, and you never double a HB in pass coverage. All we hear around here is we can't play "soft" zone defense (hilarious in itself) which means everyone wants man. Well when you go man you leave your backers on an island with HB's and TE's. Zone actually keeps the HB's in front of multiple people or with corners down field, but it's too "soft" for people here apparently. I tried explaining that man was not this magic bullet everyone wanted to pretend it was but you still see it thrown around a lot here. Defenses are multiple in scheme and every defense you run has holes, it comes down to your players abilities and the QB's ability to diagnose and deliver before getting hit.

100% correct..Cinci D was in tremendous position yesterday in that first half to make far more plays but they missed an abundance of tackles on plays right in front of them as they've done alot this year and years past.....DC called a great game.Difference in both halves was the fixture of this team, which is the DL, to have a sense of urgency and supreme talent took over...
Reply/Quote
I've got a love hate thing with Vigil.   He diagnoses really well and typically is where he should be, and can direct the other backers.

But when it comes to stacking, shedding and making a head on tackle without losing 4 yards he is really frustrating to watch.
Reply/Quote