Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How difficult is it to transition from OG to LT?
I recall Whit started out with us as a Guard right? If Ced O struggles or is hurt would Boling be a possible replacement? We seem to have plenty of players who are good enough to take Bolings place so why not kick him outside and then use Trey Hopkins (assuming he isn't already starting in which case I'd say Andre) or Westerman, Diehl, or Johnson?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Whitworth was a LT throughout his whole life basically, until he came to us. Then, in 2007, he played LG as a means of getting our best players on the oline, playing at once.

AFAIR, MJ's 4 sack game came against a LG that slid over to LT when Trent got hurt 3 snaps into the game or something and Odom had his 5 sacks against a backup LG and Daryn Colledge sliding to LT, when Chad Clifton was hurt, a few snaps into that game.

Therefore, our own personal experiences, it is very difficult, however these guys were just shuffled in with little recent practice; I'm sure if they worked all week on it, they would be better.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 02:41 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I recall Whit started out with us as a Guard right? If Ced O struggles or is hurt would Boling be a possible replacement? We seem to have plenty of players who are good enough to take Bolings place so why not kick him outside and then use Trey Hopkins (assuming he isn't already starting in which case I'd say Andre) or Westerman, Diehl, or Johnson?

Boling actually played both OT positions in college along with both OG positions. His best fit for the NFL was LG though. So I would imagine that in a pinch, he could swing to LT but I think Hopkins could do the same. I wouldn't hold my breath for either to be a solid LT though in the NFL.

Johnson played LG in the season finale against Baltimore last year IIRC, and he showed some promise there. Westerman's best fit is also LG IMO.

If it's me though, unless Ogbuehi is hurt, I'm riding or dying by his performance this year. There aren't any other quality options at LT that would give me confidence making a change would all of a sudden make the Bengals contenders. See how Ogbuehi does, and draft a LT in the first round next year if he flops. If he makes really good strides by the end of the season, draft a mid-round OT to groom as a backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 02:41 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I recall Whit started out with us as a Guard right? If Ced O struggles or is hurt would Boling be a possible replacement? We seem to have plenty of players who are good enough to take Bolings place so why not kick him outside and then use Trey Hopkins (assuming he isn't already starting in which case I'd say Andre) or Westerman, Diehl, or Johnson?

Andre Smith was playing Left Tackle and Eric Winston was playing Right Tackle during the last Preseason game once Cedric and Jake Fisher went out of the game.

Looks like the backup Left Tackle is Andre Smith.

Andre played plenty at Left Tackle when at Alabama and his Veteran experience in the NFL should make him somewhat serviceable to step in (short term) if Cedric fails this season.
Reply/Quote
Its harder to go from guard to tackle than from tackle to guard.

Guards are secure on both sides with a tackle and center, which simplifies technique. Tackles are only secure on both sides if a tight end is next to him. Even then its only secure if the te stays in to pass block or run blocks. But when there is no tight end, then that tackle has that whole side of the field to cover, which makes knowing proper technique that much more critical while reading the defense.

Also guards typically face defensive tackles and inside linebackers blitzing. Typically. Tackles take on more athletic players in ends and olbs, not to mention the occasional little dbs. This is the hardest thing for a guard-to-tackle is getting the footwork techniques down to handle those ends and olbs in more open space.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Coming from an old ass former very amateur OG, it wouldn't be very easy.  A LOT of open space to deal with out there at LT....you're often on an island.  G allows for you to get "caught up in the scrum" and shove your man around a lot easier, with minimal movement, unless you're pulling.  At LT, you better be good in space, quick, and able to cover more ground without getting a holding call, where it's easier for the official to see to boot.  I never played T, just G and C, but in my estimation, it would be tough if you didn't have any experience at the position.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-30-2017, 03:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: Coming from an old ass former very amateur OG, it wouldn't be very easy.  A LOT of open space to deal with out there at LT....you're often on an island.  G allows for you to get "caught up in the scrum" and shove your man around a lot easier, with minimal movement, unless you're pulling.  At LT, you better be good in space, quick, and able to cover more ground without getting a holding call, where it's easier for the official to see to boot.  I never played T, just G and C, but in my estimation, it would be tough if you didn't have any experience at the position.

/thread tbh

As for Boling and Hopkins, the time for that is long over. Hopkins as a T in college and played it a bit last preseason but you can't keep bouncing guys around like that. Focus on one spot. There are different techniques.
Reply/Quote
The "playing in space" dilemma for a tackle is best demonstrated by the ideal build for each position.  A tackle must have longer arms and quick feet.  The guard, sorry to say, is often referred to as the least athletic person on the team.  They must be able to anchor and/or push in a small space.  Usually very big, hard to move, but if they were quicker and longer, they would have likely been at T long ago.

The backup LT is actually the RT, Fisher.  You could say that Andre is the backup RT, but I am hoping that Dielman can evolve in to that spot if he isn't given the opportunity to compete at Center, where they already have Bodine and TJ Johnson.  If Ced falls flat on his face this year, and I don't see that happening, look for Fisher to move to LT and them come up with a replacement at RT.  

It is much easier for a player with experience at LT to play Guard than the other way around.  The advent of the spread has created a dearth of tackles coming out of the draft.  Bust % seems abnormally high.  
Reply/Quote
(08-31-2017, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: The "playing in space" dilemma for a tackle is best demonstrated by the ideal build for each position.  A tackle must have longer arms and quick feet.  The guard, sorry to say, is often referred to as the least athletic person on the team.  They must be able to anchor and/or push in a small space.  Usually very big, hard to move, but if they were quicker and longer, they would have likely been at T long ago.

The backup LT is actually the RT, Fisher.  You could say that Andre is the backup RT, but I am hoping that Dielman can evolve in to that spot if he isn't given the opportunity to compete at Center, where they already have Bodine and TJ Johnson.  If Ced falls flat on his face this year, and I don't see that happening, look for Fisher to move to LT and them come up with a replacement at RT.  

It is much easier for a player with experience at LT to play Guard than the other way around.  The advent of the spread has created a dearth of tackles coming out of the draft.  Bust % seems abnormally high.  
Fisher seems the likely alternative.    He's been a T and has good feet. If Ced can't start on the O Line.. Smith was an okay RT.
I notice Hopkins has seemed a versatile surprise. Maybe he ends up in a spot?
Reply/Quote
This idea turned out to be not so bad.

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 05:33 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: This idea turned out to be not so bad.

instead of you we have Paul Alexander????  wth i bet you would coach them for a lot less!!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote