Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do we continue to build on our recent success?
Pass rushers and a decent RT.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 01:25 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: You build the lines more. The defensive line needs to get more pressure on QBs. Offensive line..well you know.

Honestly, only a few players on offense shouldn’t be traded. Chase, Cappa, Karras and Burrow. Literally everyone else can be traded. I love Mixon, I love Tee, but when it comes to staying relevant, you need to make tough decisions, and those are very tough decisions.

I think the defense has a few who needs to stay Too. CTB, Chido, Wilson , Hilton, Hubbard. I love Hendrickson but he had a down year. Everyone else can get turned over. It would be great to keep Pratt and Bell, I’m not sure you can keep both since Wilson is more talented than Pratt.

Gotta get these drafts right and you have to make smart FA moves now. Money will be tight, gotta get extra picks where you can.

IMO, Mixons contract is a liability. His play is not indicative of his money. Trading him and getting younger there makes sense. Fill that room with players who can pass block well and can hit the holes hard. No dancing. Use Chris Pratt Goddammit. He’s a weapon this team needs.

Correct me if I’m wrong. Isn’t your suggestions quite a bit of overhaul for a team so close? Or do you mean when their contracts are up? The Bengals need to hit on the draft so they can manage their payroll. They need to be very on target and conservative going forward in FA. Based on comments by Chase this week Joe is willing to do a cap friendly deal to keep his guys here. That means Chase #1 and Higgins #2. Doesn’t matter how friendly his contract is that’s not going to be easy. But if he takes less then that’s his edict. So keeping this team championship worthy is going to be finding starters in the draft and developing them.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 06:24 AM)BengalsBong Wrote: Pass rushers and a decent RT.

We have a lot of role players to resign as well. They also have to build their fund for Joe, Tee, and others. I believe it has to get done in the draft.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:10 AM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Correct me if I’m wrong. Isn’t your suggestions quite a bit of overhaul for a team so close? Or do you mean when their contracts are up? The Bengals need to hit on the draft so they can manage their payroll. They need to be very on target and conservative going forward in FA. Based on comments by Chase this week Joe is willing to do a cap friendly deal to keep his guys here. That means Chase #1 and Higgins #2. Doesn’t matter how friendly his contract is that’s not going to be easy. But if he takes less then that’s his edict. So keeping this team championship worthy is going to be finding starters in the draft and developing them.

What I’m saying is, outside of those names, and possibly Hendrickson everyone else can be moved or cut for upgrades. Obviously not every player should be cut or traded, but Cincy shouldn’t be content. If they can move a player to get an upgrade they should. Mixon is not the kind of RB this team needs imo. They need a better pass blocker who can keep them at least on schedule in down and distance. And yes, I think Pratt is the dimension the offense could use.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 03:46 PM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: What I’m saying is, outside of those names, and possibly Hendrickson everyone else can be moved or cut for upgrades. Obviously not every player should be cut or traded, but Cincy shouldn’t be content. If they can move a player to get an upgrade they should. Mixon is not the kind of RB this team needs imo. They need a better pass blocker who can keep them at least on schedule in down and distance. And yes, I think Pratt is the dimension the offense could use.

They love the culture. They won’t look to mess with it much and damn sure if by cutting someone they lose money. They won’t do it. JMO not close to what you are proposing/speculating. They will be conservative this year waiting to figure it all out.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 12:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Be smart and follow the blue print of the Chiefs. Realize what position groups are important and which ones/players are luxuries.

The Bengals need to focus on continuing to build their offensive and defensive lines. That (along with QB) is where they should be investing a lot of their equity. That's where championships are won.

Some of the first steps the Bengals can take is getting out from dumb contracts. Mixon, Boyd, and not extending Higgins long term.

Use the money there and invest it into higher impact groups like those mentioned above (OL and DL). If they do that and continue to hit on a few draft picks each year they will be fine.

This is by far the most boring option...
Also the correct option.  
If you win in the trenches you typically win the game.  Give Joe a true #1 (Chase) and a couple (younger)fast WR with a decent TE behind a good OL and offense is top 8.  Just keep drafting a RB every 3 years and a WR or 2 every other year.
A dominant DL makes the LB and secondary MUCH better.  Keep Awuzia and Bell if possible and spend bigger money on DE/DT.  Draft choices or 2nd tier FA for the balance.
Reply/Quote
We aren't to the point of needing to cut anyone for money purposes.

That being said, Mixon is a guy whose contract is way overpriced for his production. I think he would be open to an extension/restructure. He's the only guy that I would start when it comes to money.

We have $45 million in cap space this offseason. That's where the start of some of these extensions needs to happen. Higgins/Burrow/Wilson could make the salary cap much more manageable down the road by doing deals this offseason.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 12:55 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Build quality depth on the Oline and maintain 75 to 85% of the defense (re-sign Reader, Wilson, Chido, and Hendrickson when they come due, unless they're asking crazy numbers. Let Bates, Apple and Pratt walk

The Apple talk is so crazy, especially in a thread about saving money.  Outside of a handful of stars players will be evaluated based upon cost to production.  ELi has one of the best cost to production ratios in the entire NFL.

What team wouldn't want a CB4 to move to CB2 because of injury and help take the team to the SB for $1.1M?

What team wouldn't want a CB3 to move to CB1 and help the team win 10 straight games all the way to the AFC Championship game for 3M?

We have fans more concerned bout Twitter than production and saving money.  Make it make sense.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2023, 01:10 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes Joe will be costly, Mahommes and Allen are costly. Lamar Jackson will be costly.

But none will require half of their salary cap. The cap in 2023 is 224 million. 20% of the cap is 44.8 million. I see Joe closer to 20% than 50% of our cap.

But yes, Joe goes from 10 million cap hit to over 40 million very soon. Tee will go from 4 million cap hit to 20+ million very soon for us or someone else.

(02-07-2023, 01:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I only pointed it out as I see some fans say things like pay Joe B. 30% of the cap each year for his next contract. I am a detailed person, some are not. 30% of 224 million is 67.2 million per year. 

I love Joe Burrow, but not for 67.2 million per year in 2023 and an escalator to pay him more each year there after.

I agree 30% doesnt make sense. Let's get one thing straight for everyone:

Mike Florio is an idiot and any fan that thinks it is a good idea to pay a player a set amount of the cap each year is either ignorant or isn't truly a fan. 
Paying Burrow a percentage of the cap each only year kills us.

What is "very soon" when it comes to Joe goes to 40M and Tee goes to 20M?

Reply/Quote
Tiger
I thought that I'd leave this blank and let the fans fill it in.
So all of you die hards like myself. Where do we go from here. I haven't got over it myself and I'm not watching the SB! PERIOD! I want to know from Bengaldom where the hell we go from here to get back to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN CINCINNATI IN 2024! Time will reveal everything. 

Reply/Quote
If we keep Burrow and continue to improve in the trenches we'll improve every year. The more I watch football the more I appreciate OL and DL play. I've seen time and time again where great QBs make mediocre receivers shine while behind a good OL. Time and time again I've heard "get to (insert great QB) and their offense will fall apart". If you look at the teams that beat us the last two years you'll notice one big thing. They can get to Burrow. Hell, that's the reason why the BROWNS only have 1 loss against Burrow. Look at why we beat the breaks off of the Bills. We dominated in the trenches. The Bengals are actually in a great position that they are in striking range of the SB for the next few years and if we hit in the draft, or at least hit in FA we will keep that window open until Burrow is old.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:29 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
So all of you die hards like myself. Where do we go from here. I haven't got over it myself and I'm not watching the SB! PERIOD! I want to know from Bengaldom where the hell we go from here to get back to the AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME IN CINCINNATI IN 2024! Time will reveal everything. 

Pretty simple, dont lose games we shouldn't.  Steelers and Browns losses were pathetic, Cowboys loss not much better.  Beat all the teams you should beat and the #1 seed is easily obtainable.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:37 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Pretty simple, dont lose games we shouldn't.  Steelers and Browns losses were pathetic, Cowboys loss not much better.  Beat all the teams you should beat and the #1 seed is easily obtainable.

Winning in the divisional round is key too...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You never know what will happen, so no one should assume anything. However, I'm thinking beyond this coming season. Keep drafting well, hopefully extend Burrow on team-friendly terms and get a few other key free agents extended or signed. Barring injury, I think championships are a realistic goal for a while if those things happen.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 09:29 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I’m not a subscriber that the DL is an issue. Oh it’d be great to have a Chris Jones or Aaron Donald but Hendrickson was hurt and we are great stopping the run with B J and Reader. You can’t have everything. I think Carter and Ossai continue to improve and Hobby is a hell of a coach. So I wouldn’t use a high draft pick or sign a big free agent and tie up 10 million.

So if it were me I’d sign Hurst to a 3 year deal for 6-7 million less than his worth and sell him on being settled on a SB contender. Personally I think he could be used even more. I’d let Bates, Apple, and Pratt walk. Resign Bell.

In free agency and the 1st pick in the draft I’d go with OL picks. Tackle is a problem. Everybody is agonizing over Mixon he’s signed he needs a line. Everybody raving about the non star KC running backs but they’ve got 4 guys as good or better than Karras. They aren’t worth a crap behind our line. Now our line before the injuries was playing good not great. Second round I’d go receiver just to protect if we lose Tee. I’d resign Samaje provided it’s friendly.

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not a subscriber that the DL is an issue. Oh it’d be great to have a Chris Jones or Aaron Donald but Hendrickson was hurt and we are great stopping the run with B J and Reader. You can’t have everything. I think Carter and Ossai continue to improve and Hobby is a hell of a coach. So I wouldn’t use a high draft pick or sign a big free agent and tie up 10 million.

So if it were me I’d sign Hurst to a 3 year deal for 6-7 million less than his worth and sell him on being settled on a SB contender. Personally I think he could be used even more. I’d let Bates, Apple, and Pratt walk. Resign Bell.

In free agency and the 1st pick in the draft I’d go with OL picks. Tackle is a problem. Everybody is agonizing over Mixon he’s signed he needs a line. Everybody raving about the non star KC running backs but they’ve got 4 guys as good or better than Karras. They aren’t worth a crap behind our line. Now our line before the injuries was playing good not great. Second round I’d go receiver just to protect if we lose Tee. I’d resign Samaje provided it’s friendly.

I don’t know about letting Apple walk. It depends on how much he wants.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’m not a subscriber that the DL is an issue. Oh it’d be great to have a Chris Jones or Aaron Donald but Hendrickson was hurt and we are great stopping the run with B J and Reader. You can’t have everything. I think Carter and Ossai continue to improve and Hobby is a hell of a coach. So I wouldn’t use a high draft pick or sign a big free agent and tie up 10 million.

(02-09-2023, 10:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know about letting Apple walk. It depends on how much he wants.

I’ll never understand the “let Apple walk” narrative? Especially in the context of saving money.

It makes zero sense. All the let Apple walk people please tell me 2 things:

1. How was Apple not our #1 production to cost player the last 2 years?

2. What CB signed to play CB4 would step up and play CB2 all season with a SB bound team, while making 1.1M?
Then turn around as a projected CB3 but play CB1 for 10 straight wins to the AFC Championship game for 3M?

Being more concerned about Twitter instead of production to cost value makes no sense to me, especially with an injured Chido.

Reply/Quote
Arizona not sign Lou as HC
Improve LT
Awuzie comes back near or at 100%
Re-sign Bell, Perine, Hurst and Apple
Do extra research . . . nail the draft

Hate KC all you want . . . they have absolutely crushed the draft the last two years. The Bengals are going to need to start improving their scouting since they will be most likely drafting in the last four or five slots in each round every year.

And I honestly think that if Eli's first three or four games as a Bengal in 2021 were erased, he'd have Mike Hilton level of respect around here. He was the most targeted and one of the lowest rated CBs during that terrible early stretch. Gaining respect and recovering from that period has been slow in the eyes of many fans, especially after the Super Bowl, but he has played pretty damn well and I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone offers him more money than Cincy and he takes it.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Stay healthy. We aren’t missing 2 linemen and I think we beat KC again.
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2023, 10:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know about letting Apple walk. It depends on how much he wants.

(02-09-2023, 11:05 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I’ll never understand the “let Apple walk” narrative? Especially in the context of saving money.

It makes zero sense. All the let Apple walk people please tell me 2 things:

1. How was Apple not our #1 production to cost player the last 2 years?

2. What CB signed to play CB4 would step up and play CB2 all season with a SB bound team, while making 1.1M?
Then turn around as a projected CB3 but play CB1 for 10 straight wins to the AFC Championship game for 3M?

Being more concerned about Twitter instead of production to cost value makes no sense to me, especially with an injured Chido.

Going by this. 11.6 million a year.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/eli-apple-18958/market-value/#:~:text=Current%20Contract,average%20annual%20salary%20of%20%243%2C750%2C000.&text=Misc.&text=Contract%20Notes%3A,Active%20Bonus%3A%20%2429%2C411%20(%24500%2C000)

Reply/Quote