Poll: Which DB or LB do you cover Gronk with?
Leon Hall
Dre Kirkpatrick
Adam Jones
Darqueze Dennard
Reggie Nelson
George Iloka
AJ Hawk
Vincent Rey
Emmanuel Lamur
Vontaze Burfict
PJ Dawson
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you cover Gronk?
Kirkpatrick. He's got length, the physicality, and the mental swagger to somewhat neutralize him. Of course, as someone said above, it would be MUCH preferred to not have single coverage with him.

Honestly, the only chance we would have of beating the Pats is to rush Brady. If we can't phase him, he will carve us up like Jason on Halloween.
Reply/Quote
How do you stop Gronk?

Put a bikini clad woman and a case of beer on the sideline to distract him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I'm concerned with how we cover Ravens talented receivers and tight end this weekend, with a top veteran QB of Super Bowl ring throwing the ball. Smith at WR is tough, but so is the other WR and the TE is very good. Our D Backs will get tested.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 11:47 AM)djs7685 Wrote: I think I'm more baffled by anything that there's a thread on the front page (that's actually getting responses) that's discussing how we're going to stop a guy that isn't even on our regular season schedule.

Can we care about more relevant things before penciling us into a meeting with a specific team in the playoffs when we're 2 weeks into the season? No? Alright, carry on.

(09-23-2015, 02:26 PM)kevin Wrote: I'm concerned with how we cover Ravens talented receivers and tight end this weekend, with a top veteran QB of Super Bowl ring throwing the ball. Smith at WR is tough, but so is the other WR and the TE is very good. Our D Backs will get tested.

Aaannnd No one is stopping either of you from making your own thread and talking about what you want to talk about inside it.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. As fans we can speculate about anything we want. This thread is titled appropriately and is about how we could cover Gronk. If you don't wish to participate in it, then skip over it and move on to something else.

I would use Iloka over the top to try to keep the YAC to a minimum. He'll get his catches, just don't let him run free afterwards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Sorry - I wasn't able to get through all the pages of this, but I wanted to weigh in in a completely unscientific way.

No matter where he is, you need to get your hands on him within that five yard space. I think aggressive players need an aggressive defense, so whether he's on line or out wide, that has to be done.

After that, I think it has to be a revolving door. He's got 7 inches & 70 pounds on Hall. That's just not going to work unless you're talking about a zone where Leon can play under. To me, Lamur (6-4, 240) would have to get out there (he's a former safety, so at least he's got some knowledge of coverage principles) with Iloka (6-4, 217) somewhere in that mix. I like the idea of Hall being around him as well. Provided health, I think they can afford single coverage elsewhere. Kirkpatrick and Jones + Nelson can handle most anyone in the league - especially when you've got a d-line that can get to a pocket QB like Brady (again, provided health). Just my thought.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
The only person/ place/ or thing that has ever  stopped Gronk is injury.  Outside of that... Good luck.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2015, 10:45 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Sorry - I wasn't able to get through all the pages of this, but I wanted to weigh in in a completely unscientific way.

No matter where he is, you need to get your hands on him within that five yard space. I think aggressive players need an aggressive defense, so whether he's on line or out wide, that has to be done.

After that, I think it has to be a revolving door. He's got 7 inches & 70 pounds on Hall. That's just not going to work unless you're talking about a zone where Leon can play under. To me, Lamur (6-4, 240) would have to get out there (he's a former safety, so at least he's got some knowledge of coverage principles) with Iloka (6-4, 217) somewhere in that mix. I like the idea of Hall being around him as well. Provided health, I think they can afford single coverage elsewhere. Kirkpatrick and Jones + Nelson can handle most anyone in the league - especially when you've got a d-line that can get to a pocket QB like Brady (again, provided health). Just my thought.

You have to bracket him and go one on one on the outside.  He'll eat zones alive.  I'm with you that you'll have to man up a bigger guy on him with one our cover LBs plus over the top with a safety.  My concern is more with Edelman.  Hall is a step slower and the dude just rockets off the line for 4-8 yard gains like they're potato chips.

Gronk will get his catches.  You just need to limit him especially in the red zone.  You must double him there and hope the other guys get to Brady.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote