Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you feel about paying for a new stadium NOW?
Nah.

The Bengals have a franchise valuation of $2.275b.
The NFL just signed a $10b/yr broadcast deal.

Pay for your own stadium, billionaire.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I haven't been to the stadium for a couple years but I don't think it's that bad that we need a new one. Our stadium screams AFCN. Yes, the elements can be a little harsh when its cold and windy but that is football. Factor in if we were to have home field advantage in the playoffs, bad elements would increase our homefield advantage. No team in the AFCN is enclosed. Although we are on the riverfront, it's not near as brutal as say Cleveland or Baltimore.

As for fan comfortability, I can see why some would want a domed stadium. Something comfortable to enjoy the game because, well, it's pretty expensive to freeze your butt off and be miserable in cold freezing rain and high winds. The higher you get, the worse the conditions feel. So, I understand both sides but if we are looking for an advantage against a west coast or southern playoff team in our house, the elements are in our favor IMO.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:45 PM)basballguy Wrote: When I lived in Arlington (and the Cowboys played 20mi away in Irving), I voted in favor of increasing taxes for the new Cowboys stadium.  The idea of creating/expanding an entertainment district is really enticing for the citizens of a city.  

The Rangers built a new ballpark a few years ago right next to the old one (ATT stadium was built over here too), but I don't think I would've voted Yes for that.  The only reason it passed (in my opinion) was it had a huge push on keeping the Rangers in Arlington...as if they were going to leave.  There was marginal new development.  All Arlington got was a 3rd stadium.  

So what's the incentive for Cincinnati residents?  I don't think it's fair to say "They'll leave if we don't pay".  What value would it bring to the city?
I lived right behind the Rangers stadium in Arlington and knew a bunch of nice folks who used to live in an apartment building where the Cowshitters parking lot is now. They were given less than 30 days to vacate the premises before the bulldozers mowed everything down and tossed every resident out on the street.. Awful big of them to create a few hundred homeless people for a few parking spots, huh? 
Stadiums typically, but not always leave other people without the vast resources of an NFL owner holding the bag.  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 08:55 PM)grampahol Wrote: I lived right behind the Rangers stadium in Arlington and knew a bunch of nice folks who used to live in an apartment building where the Cowshitters parking lot is now. They were given less than 30 days to vacate the premises before the bulldozers mowed everything down and tossed every resident out on the street.. Awful big of them to create a few hundred homeless people for a few parking spots, huh? 
Stadiums typically, but not always leave other people without the vast resources of an NFL owner holding the bag.  

A lot of people were displaced during the building of TQL stadium, it is a sad effect of big developments like these.
Reply/Quote
It's a mute point of course the city is going to spend money on a new/renovated PBS. It makes too much sense for everyone involved.

Especially with Cincinnati being a front runner for a World Cup game in 2026.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
They’ll do some 50/50 split with the city and another entity that also contributes to the long term maintenance in exchange for venue rights in the off season.

The location is pretty perfect. So short of raising the freedom center, a massive overhaul like
Soldier field would be great.

Cincy really only has miserable weather in January.

Regarding the freedom center. I’d be in favor of making it literally anything.

Maybe a giant fudruckers or udf even
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 08:07 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Nah.

The Bengals have a franchise valuation of $2.275b.
The NFL just signed a $10b/yr broadcast deal.

Pay for your own stadium, billionaire.

THIS!!!
Reply/Quote
Short answer is HELL NO I'm not paying more taxes for a stadium. The long answer is helllllllllllll noooooooook I'm not paying more taxes for a new stadium. I live downtown and that stadium is very nice. It's better then Shitzburghs by a mile. Honestly it's better then Vegas too. Vegas was boring as F!!! But it does need to remodeled. I would do orange sheets all around with may be Bengal stripes, I would add a retractable dome to it which it is built for. Other than that PBS is fine. Retractable dome would allow us to get the FINAL Four and SuperBowl.
Reply/Quote
All the stuff being built around that stadium there is really not a need to replace it now. They should buy Forest Fair Mall and get started with an indoor practice facility at that site where a new stadium should go in about 15 years.
Reply/Quote
Anyone who voted to raise taxes for a new stadium is crazy. Look this is sports, its something fun and entertaining, we enjoy it and love it. But it should not effect fans income. The moment i lose money im out. We spend enough on jerseys and other garb. But no way no how should the people of cincy, or ohio have an increase in taxes to pay for a new stadium. I am already being taxed to death as is!
Reply/Quote
All PBS needs is a full renovation. Alas they need to literally start now or it won't be ready by season start.
Reply/Quote
Aren't they still collecting the taxes they raised for the current one?

This was all covered under a previous thread on this same topic. The stadium is fine. It just needs a renovation which they're already starting to plan for.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 11:59 PM)Joelist Wrote: All PBS needs is a full renovation. Alas they need to literally start now or it won't be ready by season start.

You think they are magically going to just plan, design and start a full stadium renovation to be completed in 5 months? Most companies cant even implement a CRM in 5 months.
Reply/Quote
Recently, I saw this Forbes article on valuing franchises.  A component of the value is the stadium and Cincinnati is one of the lower end of stadium contributions to franchise value.  Have no idea how it is calculated.  To look at just click on any team and scroll down to see breakdown of value.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

I don’t live in Cincinnati so I don’t have a say.  In Indianapolis, I think we are still paying a Hoosier Dome/RCA Dome tax and Lucas Oil has been around 13+ years.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 03:13 AM)fisherscatfan Wrote: Recently, I saw this Forbes article on valuing franchises.  A component of the value is the stadium and Cincinnati is one of the lower end of stadium contributions to franchise value.  Have no idea how it is calculated.  To look at just click on any team and scroll down to see breakdown of value.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

I don’t live in Cincinnati so I don’t have a say.  In Indianapolis, I think we are still paying a Hoosier Dome/RCA Dome tax and Lucas Oil has been around 13+ years.

We are ranked 2nd to last in your article link, but for good reason. The fan experience is much cheaper. Here’s a short article comparing what fans pay to go to a game around the league: https://www.thestreet.com/personal-finance/where-nfl-fans-pay-most-least-to-see-game-2021

Unfortunately, since we’ve sucked, the stadium had trouble selling the experience and fan gear. Although I think there’s some revenue sharing. But it has to play a part in the value of the team.

Reply/Quote
Keep Paul Brown Stadium where it is and add a Seattle-esque partial dome to the existing structure.

Done.
Reply/Quote
PBS is a perfectly fine stadium. Devoid of personality, maybe, but it serves its purpose. It's a building to sit and stand in for three hours. I guess I just don't see the need for excessive amenities for a football game - especially on my dime.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The Titans are looking at replacing Nissan Stadium after a review showed serious structural deficiencies that exploded the renovation cost to more than double the anticipated $600 million budget. Now this could all be a ploy by the Titans to get them a new stadium but who really knows.
I don’t see Hamilton County springing for a new one anytime soon, not as long as there is still life in PBS. But PBS is the same age as Nissan so perhaps could have some of the same issues. There was no expiration date on the tax levy paying for the stadium so that could go towards renovating or replacing PBS. They won’t get any help from the tourism tax anytime soon. Their major expenditures will be the new convention hotel and upgrading of the convention center. And serious consideration must be given to replacing the totally inadequate Heritage Bank Center before PBS is dealt with.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2022, 11:10 AM)pally Wrote: The Titans are looking at replacing Nissan Stadium after a review showed serious structural deficiencies that exploded the renovation cost to more than double the anticipated $600 million budget.  Now this could all be a ploy by the Titans to get them a new stadium but who really knows.  
I don’t see Hamilton County springing for a new one anytime soon, not as long as there is still life in PBS.  But PBS is the same age as Nissan so perhaps could have some of the same issues.  There was no expiration date on the tax levy paying for the stadium so that could go towards renovating or replacing PBS.  They won’t get any help from the tourism tax anytime soon.  Their major expenditures will be the new convention hotel and upgrading of the convention center. And serious consideration must be given to replacing the totally inadequate Heritage Bank Center before PBS is dealt with.

This caught my eye so I had to respond.  I admit I had to google 'Heritage Bank Center' to know you were referencing Riverfront Coliseum.  Seems like they change the name of that place every year.  Regardless, is there any discussion of actually replacing that building?   Last time I was there was for a Billy Joel concert in the early '90s.  I believe the Cyclones still play there, correct?  I always liked that building, it has an open feeling without having those stacked levels most arenas have.  It's certainly had a long life and they've gotten their money's worth out of that building.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2022, 04:34 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: PBS is one of the worst football stadiums I've ever been to. It lacks personality and its a glorified shit hole. 

Yes, I would love a climate controlled stadium. I'm sick of standing in freezing rain and temps. Ever been to a domed stadium? It's light years more comfortable. 

It doesn't matter what I want though, it's what ownership wants...and you can bet your ass they are going to either want a new stadium or VAST renovations to the current one once the lease it up.

Football is meant to be played in the elements.. No on the dome..
Reply/Quote